Hi. I am a n00b here.

banshe333

Reaction score
Hi. my name is Gretchen I am a hearing parent of two beautiful Deaf boys. I am moving to Indianapolis an a few short days, so I can enroll them in a better school (they currently attend VSDB). my children's hearing loss wasn't confirmed untill my oldest was two and my youngest was one.they had both failed the newborn hearing screenings at the hospital, but the tech told me that their ears were just "wet". as soon as we confirmed that they were both born deaf, we started taking ASL classes. it was never really a big deal for us. I know alot of parents freak out and think that it's going to make their lives hell having Deaf kids. but for us it just made our lives better. we had alot of people come up to us and ask us "well, can't the doctors "fix" them?" ....Honestly, I can't stand that statement. Our kids are perfect they way they are.
we lived in New Mexico when the kids were born, they attended preschool at NMSD' a FANTASTIC school. we moved to virginia last august, but found schoold and services in the area lacking. so off we go to ISD with the kids.
Zachery will be in kindergarten next year, and J- bird is still going to be in pre- K.
it was nice to find this place. i stumbled on it while searching for info on schools. your forum popped up and it looked like a great place to connect with people. I hope to become a friend of the community. :)

Welcome! I am new here as well.

I also can not stand comments made about my daughter as to getting her "fixed". My husbands family has not accepted the fact that she IS deaf (the deafness comes from my side of the family) and reguarly they tell me, "I am praying that God will fix her". I tell them She isn't BROKE so there is no reason to FIX her! It makes me SO mad when they say things like this. She is perfect and just the way God intended her to be. They really go off like this each time we update them on an Audi or ENT appt. I have stopped updating them.

I hope to get to know you better :)

Robyn

hi Robyn thank for your welcome!
your little ones are so precious!
1468871834_l.jpg
these are my boys. now how is this not perfection??? :)
(this pis is about two years old BTW) but still my favorite :)

Last edited:
your boys are so cute, Gretchen!
I agree: they look like perfection to me! :)

Welcome. Really cute kids, "unfixed" as they may be.

Chase, an old guy forever in need of fixing.

Hello and :welcome: to AD! You have come to the right site to get all sorts of informative and interesting insights. Do hope this will help steer you in the right direction and good luck. :)

we moved to virginia last august, but found schoold and services in the area lacking. so off we go to ISD with the kids.
Zachery will be in kindergarten next year, and J- bird is still going to be in pre- K.
Well at least the gross majority of Deaf Schools tend to have very good early intervention services. (ie better then the general public early intervention) At least your kids are getting a GOOD education foundation, right now. Like it's good that you didn't find out that VSDB was crappy when your kids were older.
I know that ISD is supposed to be very good.

thanks for all the welcomes! you seem to be a great bunch here!
I HAVE heard that ISD was good way back when my kids were first starting out in NMSD.
hopefully i will see improvement from here. :)

Hey are you a member of the American Society for Deaf Children? Check it out....its a great organization for dhh Sign users!
What exactly was wrong with VSDB? Well, at least another good thing.....you didn't have to deal with the crappiness of a mainstream program or the placement of a general special needs program. (sometimes dhh kids are placed in a program serving all sorts of special needs, which is NOT what dhh kids really need) It's so cool that you're starting your kids out at a Deaf School!

it was accually more the school transportation than the actual school. however, most teachers there are hearing. it seems that hearing teachers dont really understand the diffuculties of the students. but dont get me wrong my kids teacher was great. a really nice lady.

Oh well that's good that it was mostly transportation issues, and not the actual quality of the school! And that sucks that there weren't too many Dhh teachers. However, hearing teachers can be good too (especially if they're fluent in Sign or CODA)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, banshe333. I hope you can learn a lot from us and also give you lots of information about Deaf children. Your two boys are really cute and perfect in every way that God put them on Earth. I don't appreciate hearing people saying that we need to be "fix" to become hearing like them. They don't know how to leave us alone and let it go. Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Back