Hi from Vancouver!

aladinhislamp

Reaction score
I've been lurking for quite a while and figured it was finally time to introduce myself. So a big hi from Vancouver BC! :wave:

I'm a hearing woman, 46, originally from Detroit and with 2 half-Japanese daughters. I got interested in deaf/Deaf issues last year when I read some articles for one of my grad. classes (I'm finishing my MA in applied linguistics). Since I've studied languages and taught ESL abroad for many years, I thought I was pretty aware culturally and linguistically but I quickly realized (in ways that both inspired and made me ashamed) that I have A LOT more to learn. In September I'm starting a full immersion ASL class which I'm both totally excited and really nervous about. I know it's a lot harder to learn new languages as you get older, but my older daughter (who's 11) is going to learn it with me. She already speaks 3 languages fluently (Japanese, English and French), so I hope she can help me a lot!

Anyway, I hope it's okay to post and comment on here, but if not, I'm more than happy to just read and learn.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys. :cheers:

Susan

You are more than welcome to post here. We have many people who are hearing on this forum who are ASL learners such as yourself!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just be happy to browse around the forum and post with us. See you around here. :wave:

Back