Hi from Northwest Arkansas

bojaq1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there's a deaf community in Northwest Arkansas, I've been hard of hearing all on my life. Interested in making contacts with other hard of hearing or deaf in my area. 100 % deaf in right ear and 90% deaf in left ear. I'm interested in learing ASL I suffer from bad headaches and migraines and I suppect that alot of the times I believe I'm straining to hear to onset a headache. Althrough I couldn't turn to ASL completely since my family is not hearing impaired. Thank goodness, I'v always worried about such a thing. Apparently my grandchildren are ok also but they are young and proably pick up on ASL pretty quick. lol

Anyway HI

Jacque

What is with Hard Of Hearing when they claim that they have over 90 to 100 percents of hearing loss? Is that profound deafness? Can they say they are deaf, not hard of hearing?

I get that same feedback just a moment ago from another poster too who believe that she is Hard Of Hearing and claim that she is getting evaluation with her audiologist to check if she is qualify to be the candidate for CI. She has to be really deaf like totally deaf in order to be qualify to get her CI.

That is why puzzled me over this. What is going on? **shaking my head**

Thank you for welcoming me. I know how deaf do you need to be? I've struggled with this all my life. Never been around the deaf community or such cause I wasn't totaly deaf. It is a struggle through. People have to look at me for me to understand what they say. lol it does create some funny and embarassing moments as I'm sure you all know. I've been told I'm not a candidate for CI . To tell you the truth I don't need anymore air entering that area. Just saying.

Thank you for welcoming me. I know How deaf do you need to be. I've never been around the deaf community since I'm not totaly deaf. Also I have to admit I tend to isolate somewhat. Not that I don't like people it's just hard to hear and it can lead to funny, embarassing and frustrating moments. As I'm sure you all can understand.

I've been told I'm not a candidate for CI , although I'm not sure if I'd want them anyway. Don't need more air entering that area.. Just saying.

No offense but hearing isn't gauged in percents so that doesn't mean very much...

Hi everyone, I'd like to know if there's a deaf community in Northwest Arkansas, I've been hard of hearing all on my life. Interested in making contacts with other hard of hearing or deaf in my area. 100 % deaf in right ear and 90% deaf in left ear. I'm interested in learing ASL I suffer from bad headaches and migraines and I suppect that alot of the times I believe I'm straining to hear to onset a headache. Althrough I couldn't turn to ASL completely since my family is not hearing impaired. Thank goodness, I'v always worried about such a thing. Apparently my grandchildren are ok also but they are young and proably pick up on ASL pretty quick. lol

Anyway HI

Jacque
Hi Jacque!

I also live in Northwest Arkansas. How cool is that? I just saw this post and had to reply. I am learning ASL. I have a couple of deaf friends in the area. I could introduce you to my friends. :)

Sasha

Buzybug

I'm trying to learn also.. lol. I'd love to meet someone to help teach me. Do you have any hobbies. I'm a old woman though not a youngun. lol

Jacque

I just realized I didn't answer your question about my hobbies. I like to read, spend time with my friends, during the winter months I tend to knit (only scarves though). Lately I've been watching Korean dramas online - they're so silly!

Hello Jacquel and Sasha,
A warm and belated Welcome to AllDeaf to you both.
I am from neighbor State of TX.
Nice chatting to you.

Hey bojaq1,
I am Good. How about you? Welcome once again to AllDeaf
Forum. Glad to have you around. I know you are in Arkansas and I am
in Neighbor State of TX. Hope you are getting the resources at your disposal
pertaining to your need. Assuming you are ” late deafened”.
I myself used to be hearing in my teenager years until profoundly
became DEAF and no regrets as I am now Deaf culture proficient and proud
Alumni of Gallaudet. Nice chatting with you. Cheers.

Hey Cool Mikey;

No I'm not late deafen I've always been HOH. Never know of deaf schools till I was an adult. Hated school, anyway I don't like the hearing aid , never did. Yes, I can hear louder sounds but its too confussing in a loud area. And people assume because you wear an hearing aid you must hear fine. That is not the case.

I was hopping to learn ASL. learning abit on youtube.com. and went to the library to get some books. so I can self teach myself. I'm used to that I've always self taught myself various things.

I only had one contact with someone in my area. that is a hearing person learning ASL, havn't met her as of yet. I really thought that there would be a greater contact in this area. But I guess not.

Nice talking to you too

I am also in northwest arkansas! It sure is a small world here! % would also love to know what the deaf communit is like around here, I've only been here for a year or so and my son is HoH and I am contemplating sending him to the arkansas school for the deaf in little rock

hi...lot people not deaf on here but have intrest or family member who is...have you tried using just alphabet showing family how to and explain it would help from time to time if they did...i know a few people in my area who use alphabet only they minor/moderate H/H

HI, I think sending him to an deaf school is a great idea, I sure wish I had gone to one. Just for self esteem alone. MIght be misspelling alittle here so please excuse.

I know of a young boy 10 or so. Got a CI Which is great but I tried to explain that yes he hears more sounds but its not the same. ( From my understanding anyway. ) and even though he hears don't mean he understands conversations around him confidently.

Plus from my experience children are horribly cruel. But so are alot of so called adults.

How old is your boy. and does he wear hearing aids ? Do you have to look at him for him to understand beyond a shadow of any doubt that he hears you.

How is his experience in school now, if he's attending now ?

Anyway that my two cents worth. And from what I gather I don't think there is a deft community here. Can we start one ? educating people and finding others with the same problems for support ??

Hello Bojaq1,
Howdy? Hope you are doing Good and getting answers to your
questions and inquiries on the Forum positively and encouraging from
Subscribers as well as various resources available at your disposal
Wonderful forum indeed and you'd be glad you did.
Nice chatting with you too and Have a Blessed coming Thanksgiving as we all
have so much to Thankful for. Cheers and Best to YOU.

Back