Hi from Modesto CA! =^.^=

Dart00

Reaction score
Im not the best at introducing myself but im'a try. :wave:

Hello. My name is Shane McLafferty, im 24 and live in Modesto, CA and am hearing. I signed up for Sign 125 (Beginning ASL) at Modesto Junior Collage. So far we are on week 2 and im already amazed and blown away at everything we covered so far, im catching on very fast and am really enjoying it...If it keeps going well I may even look into more sign classes. :)

However for the class...we need 5 hours of communication with a Deaf person. I dont know anyone whos Deaf and only 1 person who knows sign language. Im trying to stay after and practice with some of the more advanced students but no one really has a lot of time.

I need someone who I can practice with or who can help with my hours...im not having much luck. I don't have a lot of friends because im kinda shy, but i found out when I sign...I don't feel the same anxiety or shyness I have when talking and I think thats why its its amazing me so much...I feel like i can really communicate now. I only know the basics and can make a lil conversation but im working to get better.

Is anyone from Modesto and can spare a lil bit of time to help me? Im a certificated computer technician and can offer free computer work if that helps any... :cool2:

So far i know about the Ice cream social at the mall next month and cant wait to go! (I joined the FB page but haven't gotten any responses :ugh3: ) but was hoping to try to get in contact with someone sooner.

I hope to get involved with the community soon.

I am a mother with a 7 year old deaf son. I would love to find more people he could communicate with. I am in modesto

I am a mother with a 7 year old deaf son. I would love to find more people he could communicate with. I am in modesto

Probably it won't be Dart since they haven't been here since January 28.

It would be better to start an intro thread of your own.

Got a e-mail about this thread....cant belive someone dug it up lol.

Hey. I finished my ASL 1 class with a solid "B". I like the language a lot and think I could have potential with it, however I need to move on with my education and get the classes i need to graduate rather then ASL 2. I do hope to take ASL 2 when i get my BA.

I dont think im knowledgeable enough to communicate well really. Modesto has many ASL events. Also MJC has a set of very good ASL classes and tutors.

http://www.facebook.com/modesto.aslpage

You can join that group and keep upto date.

Good luck! :3

Back