Hi from Middletown

ldsoccergirl

Reaction score
Im hoh and I just found out about this website from my friend. I go to hearing school and theres no deaf kids in my school. I kinda felt lonly bc I went to deaf school when I was little but then I decided to go to hearing school. So Im kinda new at this.:wave:

You could always transfer back to Deaf School.......Deaf Schools rock!

I stop using FM in middle school. I wish I could transfer back to Deaf School but I only have a year of high school left so I rather stay than starting a brand new school again. Is Deaf School different than Hearing School? I mean like Im use to having hearing teachers and in Deaf School have teachers that sign ASL so is it different? Do all teacher in the Deaf School sign? I have so much questions to ask and Im not sure if u know all the answers but if you do! Please answer!!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Depends on the modes of communication used at the deaf school. If it's a bi-bi ASL school then yes all the staff including teachers, EA, office staff, library & media etc are all fluent signers. Many are Hoh or Deaf, though there are some hearing teachers as well (often CODA,SODA etc).

The Deaf School in my city is fully Bi-Bi, the entire staff is fluent in ASL, there are staff interpreters for those with parents still learning ASL, or any public etc who come to see/visit or want to use the school's library etc.

deafdyke said:
You could always transfer back to Deaf School.......Deaf Schools rock!

While I understand the sentiment ... Like hearing schools, there are good Deaf schools and poor/bad ones. I've seen both.

Parents and students need to investigate the Quality of the Deaf schools in their area for their hoh/deaf kids just as they would the hearing schools for their hearing kids.

Soo what school is the best? Because I read different topic and most of the people kinda argue which is the best. :hmm:

While I understand the sentiment ... Like hearing schools, there are good Deaf schools and poor/bad ones. I've seen both.

Parents and students need to investigate the Quality of the Deaf schools in their area for their hoh/deaf kids just as they would the hearing schools for their hearing kids.

Well just like with ANY schools, there are ones that are good and ones that suck

I stop using FM in middle school. I wish I could transfer back to Deaf School but I only have a year of high school left so I rather stay than starting a brand new school again. Is Deaf School different than Hearing School? I mean like Im use to having hearing teachers and in Deaf School have teachers that sign ASL so is it different? Do all teacher in the Deaf School sign? I have so much questions to ask and Im not sure if u know all the answers but if you do! Please answer!!

good point.......just one more year. Although JoeyDeafNinja transferred to FSDB as a senoir and loved it.

Soo what school is the best? Because I read different topic and most of the people kinda argue which is the best. :hmm:

I do think that one really good placement is a regional dhh program. Gets a mass of dhh kids in one place, and kids can take advantage of deaf programming, but also take advantage of mainstreaming too.....I remember one of our deaf blind folks who had gone to blind school saying that some blind kids argued in favor of blind schools.

The most important thing is to research the various schools you are able (location wise) to attend and then talk to various students, staff, graduates etc.

Many students also do "split placement" where they take some of their classes at a hearing school (with note takers & interpreters) and some of their classes at the Deaf school.

Where I am, many of the Deaf School students take their Biology, Chemistry, and AP/IB etc classes at the hearing school a few blocks away.

The most important thing is to find an educational environment that is best for you and in which you can thrive academically and socially :D

Thank you for telling me that. I don't know about taking half time in hearing school and then take deaf school. Its just a little to much for me.

Ldsoccer, welcome to AD. You must be in teen's. I have a good Deaf friend living a couple of miles from Middletown. I don't know when I will visit there. I take Amtrak from NYC to there either in Harrisburg or Middletown. Every time I visited Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster I hadn't have a chance to checking out the Deaf Clubs or Deaf/ASL social!

Back