Hi from CO!

KittenEyez05

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Hey ya'll! I'm a 24 year old girl from Denver. I have a bilateral moderate-severe fluctuating progressive hearing loss from Cogan's Syndrome. (Wow, try saying that 3 times fast!) CS also affects my eyes so my vision isn't so perfect. I started noticing my hearing issues at age 7, but it wasn't really an issue til about age 14. I was already attending CSDB for my vision issues so I started taking classes in the deaf school and living in the deaf dorms. I prefer using ASL and turning off my voice, but since I graduated I lost touch with the Deaf community and speak/speech read to please my friends and family. I suppose I am here to start really exploring my identity and how I want my life to look when my last bits of hearing disappear.

welcome another Denver person!!! from what I have found there is more of a Deaf Community in boulder, though there is a Deaf social group in Denver. Their facebook page is Log In | Facebook

welcome to Alldeaf!
I also have vison problems which requires me wearing glasses since I'm nearsighted!
apparently these problem runs in my family.

Oh, and to update. I see that they are going to give a tour of the new Gottelib building....... I may as well go.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum, kittenEyez05. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome kitteneyes! You're so lucky.....you went to Deaf School with a hoh loss? GREEN with envy. So you basicly grew up blind, and then started learning ASL b/c of your affliation with a blind school? Too cool! There is a new deaf school in Golden you might want to check out...they have social stuff......

And WOW.............did you transfer to the blind school from a mainstream school? I know it's kind of unusual for "just blind" kids to attend blind schools. (have a friend who went to Perkins, and he's like you. Legally blind but hoh (doesn't sign thou)

Wirelessly posted

I actually started learning sign at 5 yr old for my grandma who went deaf suddenly at age 60. She didn't keep up with it, but I did. I was mainstreamed until 6th grade, but hated the violence in my school and decided to switch to CSDB.

I was significantly hoh by the time I started taking math and science at the deaf school. There were some hoh student there with a ton of hearing. That kind of suprised me!

Thank you everyone for the tips on finding Deaf events!

Hey all. I have moderat loss on the right, and severe on the left. Both reverse slope. I am excited to get to know others who can relate to me. I live in Louisa, Va.having a hard time meeting others with hearing loss around here. Great to know I am not alone:wave:

Welcome kitteneyes! You're so lucky.....you went to Deaf School with a hoh loss? GREEN with envy. So you basicly grew up blind, and then started learning ASL b/c of your affliation with a blind school? Too cool! There is a new deaf school in Golden you might want to check out...they have social stuff......

Just wait..... Just wait :) You will be floored.

Back