Hi Everyone

cgreen227

Reaction score
I am a hearing person attempting to teach myself ASL so I can communicate with others. I am hoping to get some live interaction so I can learn the language and culture properly, from those who have lived it. If anyone is interested in helping me along, let me know!

Hi + welcome! :wave:
Afraid I can't help myself as I use ISL!
Stick around for a while and make some friends..that would
be my advice.

Cool. How is it going? I really have only looked into it for a week or so. I just figured it would be easier and more substantial to learn from someone that knows it.

Cool. How is it going? I really have only looked into it for a week or so. I just figured it would be easier and more substantial to learn from someone that knows it.

It's going great! I've been learning since about Feb 09. I can't afford the cost of college courses, so I started by going thru the free online lessons at LifePrint.com, all 45 of them, then just kept going back and reviewing them. Whenever I want to look up signs, I typically go to ASLpro.com or SigningSavvy.com - they have actual videos of each sign and they have a TON of them. I've also gotten a few good ASL dictionaries and a couple good ASL grammar books to learn the proper sentence structure. You can find used ones pretty inexpensive on Amazon.com or for free exchange on PaperbackSwap.com

Now, having said all that... Yes, it is definitely better to sign with someone, either face to face or via a webcam. I've been doing quite a few signed songs, and I love it, but I need practice on actual conversational signing. That is harder. I've made a couple of friends here on AD and have chatted via webcam with them. Lots of fun!

Oh! Also look for Deaf events in your area and go to them. I've been to a couple, and am going again in 2 weeks. It helps a lot! Just do a Google search for "deaf events coffee" (or something similar) and your town name. I tend to see gatherings at Starbucks & Borders or Barnes & Noble, too.

Have fun with it!

Sounds like I'm in the same boat. I was going to take an actual online class through my highschool (because they pay for it) but because I have 6 AP courses going my senior year, I decided I shouldn't commit to anything else. I am also going through the lessons on LIfePrint, that is what actually got me interested. I actually have a deaf church a couple of blocks from my house, so later on I might go over there if only to meet a few people.

Back