Hi everyone!

marivilla

Reaction score
My name is Marissa and I'm from Houston, Tx. I took sign language about a year ago, i think, and completely fell in love with it and all the people that I would meet at deaf events. It was actually the only class I had a good grade in when I was in college. I left to the military though but now I'm back and have decided to pursue a career in interpreting! I know I've forgotten many things but I do have the basics. Eventually I want to be an ASL teacher in high school.

I hope to meet some really amazing people on here, whether it's through skype or in person!

Hey Marissa that's pretty cool. That you became interested in American Sign language. Pretty much most of my hearing friends wanted to learn sign language, a few pursued interpreter careers. Some of them were considering learning ASL, including my best friend that I just met during my senior year(last year). I'm hard of hearing, my name is Fabian. Welcome to alldeaf.com :)

Hey Marissa that's pretty cool. That you became interested in American Sign language. Pretty much most of my hearing friends wanted to learn sign language, a few pursued interpreter careers. Some of them were considering learning ASL, including my best friend that I just met during my senior year(last year). I'm hard of hearing, my name is Fabian. Welcome to alldeaf.com :)

Nice to meet you, Fabian! And thank you!!

Question

Hi my name is Luce and I'm 16. I'm learning ASL with a friend and we're both really in love with the deaf culture and I really want to learn more about it.
Same as Marissa I want to become a deaf teacher, but I do have a small question and I hope someone will guve me an answer. Well, I know from a friend of mine that there're meetings where deaf people meet eachother from different countries and I was wondering in what sign language you guys speak to eachother then, because I thought that every country has its own sign language, like, do you all learn british sign language or something and communicate with that one (like hearing people do with english) orare all sign languagesquite similar?

Really hoping for an answer :p
X luce

Hi my name is Luce and I'm 16. I'm learning ASL with a friend and we're both really in love with the deaf culture and I really want to learn more about it.
Same as Marissa I want to become a deaf teacher, but I do have a small question and I hope someone will guve me an answer. Well, I know from a friend of mine that there're meetings where deaf people meet eachother from different countries and I was wondering in what sign language you guys speak to eachother then, because I thought that every country has its own sign language, like, do you all learn british sign language or something and communicate with that one (like hearing people do with english) orare all sign languagesquite similar?

X luce

Hey Luce, Nice to meet you. Well I'm not so sure on that one. I use both PSE(English Sign Language) and ASL(American Sign Language). I use more of PSE.

X luce

Hi Luce! I know I'm super late on replying but life got hectic haha. It's nice to meet you! I'm not an expert on that but I think there might be some universal signs? I've never really thought about it actually. Great question!!

There is an international sign language called "gestuno," and apparently they all use it at annual conferences in Europe.

Back