Hi everyone! Question...

pgarock4293

Reaction score
Hey guys. I literally just created an account like 2 minutes ago and this is my first post. Here is a quick bio/facts:

-I am a college sophomore
-I am not deaf but a student of ASL

Basically I was wondering something and figured this would be the best place to try to find an answer. First I want to explain that I took two semesters of ASL in the fall of 2009 and spring of 2010 and then I took a break because of other class requirements I had to take. Luckily, I will be taking ASL again next semester (fall 2011) because they are offering ASL III. The first two classes I took were ASL I and II.

I know I am not as good as I was 9 months ago and would like to practice over the summer so I am ready for the class. Here is what I want to do and I need you all to tell me if it is really creepy or weird. I was hoping I could meet someone my age who lived near me over the summer who was deaf or hoh and used ASL. Then we could meet up a few times a week and I could practice my ASL with them. I don't know if you'd consider that a tutor/student relationship or just a friendship or what.

What are your thoughts? Would it be weird to do that? I don't have any personal friends who are deaf or hoh so I never get to put my ASL into action...

Hey guys. I literally just created an account like 2 minutes ago and this is my first post. Here is a quick bio/facts:

-I am a college sophomore
-I am not deaf but a student of ASL
Not much of a bio. :lol:

Basically I was wondering something and figured this would be the best place to try to find an answer. First I want to explain that I took two semesters of ASL in the fall of 2009 and spring of 2010 and then I took a break because of other class requirements I had to take. Luckily, I will be taking ASL again next semester (fall 2011) because they are offering ASL III. The first two classes I took were ASL I and II.

I know I am not as good as I was 9 months ago and would like to practice over the summer so I am ready for the class. Here is what I want to do and I need you all to tell me if it is really creepy or weird. I was hoping I could meet someone my age who lived near me over the summer who was deaf or hoh and used ASL. Then we could meet up a few times a week and I could practice my ASL with them. I don't know if you'd consider that a tutor/student relationship or just a friendship or what.

What are your thoughts? Would it be weird to do that? I don't have any personal friends who are deaf or hoh so I never get to put my ASL into action...
What about practicing with some of the other ASL students from your school? I'm sure they need the practice, too.

Welcome to the site. You may want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.alldeaf.com/sign-language-oralism/75678-students-looking-asl-buddies.html

That, and the parent board (focus on ASL) look likely to be close to what you're looking for. Since this is the internet and all, most people are likely to be far more comfortable chatting with you over webcam (assuming you have one).

An alternate, depending on your city, is to look for a deaf/ASL meetup group, deaf coffee or other deaf social events.

In the meantime, hang out here, meet some people, and maybe you'll end up having some new deaf friends.

Lol yeah I guess that wasn't much of a bio.

I would practice with other students from my school but I go to school a decent length away from home so I won't see them over the summer.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. If you are already in ASL1 and ASL2, then you should have gone to the Deaf event or in the Deaf community in your area. You should have asked the instructor wondering where you will find Deaf people so that you can practice and also communicate with them on a voice off conversations (signing ASL). Ask around and explore where you can find Deaf people. Good luck! :thumb:

Just enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf. :)

I agree with what Bebonang posted.

I am only in ASL1 and was on of the requirements for two of the classes I'm in, participating in Deaf socials. But prior to attending, I didn't get much info from the instructor(s) where to go. If you're passionate about learning, it is best to be progressive about it. This way Deaf and HoH people will know you're serious about wanting to practice/learn ASL, rather than just doing it for school. Just sparing my two cents from my experience, and there are plenty of people that are nice enough to help/practice.
:wave:

@Bebonang

Yes that's true and I did learn of events in the DC area. The only problem is that I am going to be in NJ over the summer and my professor is from VA.

@Bebonang

Yes that's true and I did learn of events in the DC area. The only problem is that I am going to be in NJ over the summer and my professor is from VA.

New Jersey? Jiro can help you.

Asl

I have been fluent in ASL since 2000.
I am hard-of-hearing and have the same problem meeting someone who is deaf, can sign or both.
One thing I do is try to sign songs on the radio.
It is not as easy as it sounds because more often than not you have to use synonyms or change the song around to sign the "same" thing.
I live in St. Louis now if you are close I would love to hang out!
I hope this is helpful!
Michelle

Back