Hi everybody(: I'm new..

camerachick26

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new around here and so I guess I thought I'd make one of these "Introduce Yourself" threads. :) I'm hard of hearing. I was a premie and so my hearing never developed because I was born before that happens. But now my hearing is just getting worse. I have between 15 and 25% of my hearing left in both ears. And I'm just amazed at how loud I have to turn up the TV to hear it when I take out my hearing aids. HA. So yeah, I'm still losing my hearing and my doctor says it's gonna be gone in the next 3-5 years most likely seeing that my hearing has decreased so much in the past 4 years. So yeah. I'm really interested in learning sign language, but need some help staying motivated because not many around here talk in signs. But anyways! Good to meet you all. :)

Learn as much ASL as you can now. I had perfect hearing and lost it all overnight. I wish I had time to prepare. It is very hard trying to learn all at once when you absolutely need it. Best of luck to you!!

Welcome! How old are you? If you're still in high school, you could transfer to a deaf school or a hearing school with a dhh program. If you're college age, you could transfer to NTID or Gally and become fluent that way!

I'm 16 and my mother would never let me transfer schools. And I don't know of a deaf school around here...

im begginin to try and use ASL myself but like u said no one around me sings. if u start learning we could attempt to skype together using asl it could be good practice.

CameraChick what state are you in? You could attend your state's Deaf School....there are some good Deaf Schools out there. Or maybe even transfer to MSSD in Washington DC. Could you maybe explain to your mom that you NEED to become fluent in ASL b/c of your progressive loss, and attending a Deaf School or program would be the best way to become fluent in ASL. Alternatively, you could attend a summer camp for dhh kids!
Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

Explore Your Future might be a good option: RIT - NTID - Explore Your Future (EYF)
and so might Summer Youth Programs - Gallaudet University (bballboy went to the Gally youth programs and loved them even thou he grew up auditory verbal)

Hi and welcome! I recently lost much of my hearing (can still hear about 15% of what I used to) and I am learning ASL but I am only at a basic level. Try to stay motivated! I'm actually having a lot of fun learning and the more ASL I am exposed to the more I love it. You can always skype with other learners or sign videos on youtube to get feedback and assistance from more advanced learners and some generous fluent people.

In that case contact Michigan School for the Deaf, and see if they have a summer program that you could attend. They may also know of high schools that have sizable dhh programs. One thing you could tell your mom is that if you attended a dhh program, is that she would no longer have to fight with CLUELESS mainstream teachers about accomondations and things like that. You'd be getting GOOD accomondations....including things like speech therapists who are familiar with how to teach dhh kids. Also, you could tell her that things have changed and that most dhh educational programs are now VERY HOH friendly. A lot of parents think that deaf ed means only for voice off Deaf kids.

Back