Hi! Been wearing my ha for about two months!

KandiseT

Reaction score
I cant believe I found a forum that has lots of hard of hearing and deaf people as members. I have been hard of hearing all my life. I am 23. My dads whole side of the family is hard of hearing. He knows sign language but I need to learn it.

I got some gersound hearing aids and have been wearing them since Feb. I am not liking them at all! I have gotten used to them being in my ears but the left one has a soft buzzing sound that I think makes it harder for me to hear. I was told just to wear them and I would get used to it. I have low tone hearing loss. I got some hearing aids in high school but they did not help at all! I am afraid my dad my be right and they are not going to help me at all with clarity. I think I have the moderate hearing loss because I can hear but most of the time everything sounds like I am under water if you can understand what I mean.

I am going to be starting classes to get my cna license next week and I am so afraid that I am going to have a hard time being able to hear cuz of the dang buzzing in my ear. My right one is fine. I dunno. I feel like I cant find a job or am limited to doing only certain jobs because I can't hear men very well. Cant talk on the telephone. I do have a tty caption telephone tho.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need some support! Vocational Rehabilitation is helping me to get my license. Since I have a disability I am having a hard time finding a job and I thought that they could help me, but my counselor seems to think that hearing aids are magical and that they will fix my hearing overnight. I dunno I am just getting so frustrated!

I hope to hear from someone on here! Thanks for your time!
Kandise

Hello :)

Good luck with your cna license, and you will find more info here too :)

I cant believe I found a forum that has lots of hard of hearing and deaf people as members. I have been hard of hearing all my life. I am 23. My dads whole side of the family is hard of hearing. He knows sign language but I need to learn it.

I got some gersound hearing aids and have been wearing them since Feb. I am not liking them at all! I have gotten used to them being in my ears but the left one has a soft buzzing sound that I think makes it harder for me to hear. I was told just to wear them and I would get used to it. I have low tone hearing loss. I got some hearing aids in high school but they did not help at all! I am afraid my dad my be right and they are not going to help me at all with clarity. I think I have the moderate hearing loss because I can hear but most of the time everything sounds like I am under water if you can understand what I mean.

I am going to be starting classes to get my cna license next week and I am so afraid that I am going to have a hard time being able to hear cuz of the dang buzzing in my ear. My right one is fine. I dunno. I feel like I cant find a job or am limited to doing only certain jobs because I can't hear men very well. Cant talk on the telephone. I do have a tty caption telephone tho.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need some support! Vocational Rehabilitation is helping me to get my license. Since I have a disability I am having a hard time finding a job and I thought that they could help me, but my counselor seems to think that hearing aids are magical and that they will fix my hearing overnight. I dunno I am just getting so frustrated!

I hope to hear from someone on here! Thanks for your time!
Kandise

You will definately get support here! I'm 23 too, but started losing my hearing when I was about 19. For a long time, everything sounded like it was underwater...and you are right...hearing aids suck at the clarity issue. I am now severely hoh, so I'm fighting now for sounds, rather then clarity, but I've definately been where you have been. I don't know if you will get used to the buzzing. Either I did or just can't hear it anymore, not sure which. I'm so sorry about your counsellor. She/he doesn't seem to know much about working with disabilities! I think a lot of people know that hearing aids don't fix the whole problem in all cases. Maybe you should try to get a new one. Remember this, people CANNOT refuse you a job because of your hearing loss. That is illegal. I wish I could give you a hug. I know it's hard, and I know it takes a lot to adjust, but I promise you can do it. I get really discouraged sometimes too, but then my husband reminds me how much he and our baby and family loves me, no matter how much I can or can't hear. All I can say is, don't give up, you sound like a great person. I hope you believe that. I hope you know that your hearing has nothing to do with your value.

Hey I can relate with you, my family as well is Hard of hearing. I have been born Hard of hearing as well, live all my life with hearing aids, my problem is opposite from you, I can't hear women's voices! I have high frequency deafness with moderate in low tones. My family well half of them suffer from hearing loss, ranging moderate to Profound. That's very interesting. The only thing is most people in my family prefer to speak even though they have a hearing loss, I have been actively learning ASL for the past 2 years. I think you should definitely start learning ASL, but that's up to you. -_^

Back