Hi anyone live in Sydney Australia?

DeafboyOne

DeafboyOne
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello! I live in the beautiful city of Bath UK working as a music Therapist for Deaf and Deafblind adults. However I will be moving permanently to Sydney in December 2007. Anyone from alldeaf live there please? Be great to meet up, I know a little BSL but no Auslan...maybe you could help me with differences. I am Partial Deaf (I do need my hearing aids for music and songwriting) but happy to put aside English speaking to practice my BSL (Level 2). I was pretty much into Deaf culture here in UK and would like to get to know Oz Deaf Culture...Can you help?
Cheers from DeafboyOne

Hello! I live in the beautiful city of Bath UK working as a music Therapist for Deaf and Deafblind adults. However I will be moving permanently to Sydney in December 2007. Anyone from alldeaf live there please? Be great to meet up, I know a little BSL but no Auslan...maybe you could help me with differences. I am Partial Deaf (I do need my hearing aids for music and songwriting) but happy to put aside English speaking to practice my BSL (Level 2). I was pretty much into Deaf culture here in UK and would like to get to know Oz Deaf Culture...Can you help?
Cheers from DeafboyOne

Hey DeafBoyOne,

I am not sure if there is someone around here is from Sydney, but I am the only one who is near Sydney, precisely 3 hours away from Sydney (in the country). I have a lot of friends in Sydney, would you like some help? Please feel free to PM (Private message) me and we can discuss.

By the way, welcome to alldeaf!

jclarke

Hey Deafboyone!

when are you due to arrive! I'll be sure to order some good weather for you!!
I'm a sydney chick born and raised.

:welcome: to Alldeaf! I am an aussie living in Perth, West Aust. Hope your moving to Sydney will go smoothly as planned and you will meet some great people too. My hubby and I are thinking about moving to UK next year to live as all his family lives in Sth Devon. I am a music lover also and enjoy listening to many music, mostly classic 70's. :D
Anyway, enjoy browsing and posting here in Alldeaf! :)

Ellabey I look forward to making your acquaintance! Is Auslan much different to BSL?

I arrive in Sydney about December - ish time. Got your Santa outfit ready?!!!!

Thanks Koala I too love 70s music! UK is ok, but glad I'm coming downunder. Devon is warmer part of UK at least not so rainy as other parts. Stay in touch, let us know how life is in UK. I'll keep u posted on OZ! I should be there by December...gonna spend Xmas Day on Bondi Beach webcamming friends at home and here on AD of course!

Thankyou Spicy girl I hope to make lots of friends in Sydney...Darling Harbour is farrrooouuuttttt! Coolest views on the planet. You a local?

Thanks Koala I too love 70s music! UK is ok, but glad I'm coming downunder. Devon is warmer part of UK at least not so rainy as other parts. Stay in touch, let us know how life is in UK. I'll keep u posted on OZ! I should be there by December...gonna spend Xmas Day on Bondi Beach webcamming friends at home and here on AD of course!

Mate, just word of advice, when you are on bondi beach - cameras and video cameras are not allowed due to the rule on the beach. if you do that, you might be fined. So just to let you know. :D

Ellabey I look forward to making your acquaintance! Is Auslan much different to BSL?

Hello Deafboyone,

I'm in Sydney - I was a pom originally like you. I came here 10 years ago. Best wishes with your move and it's a nice time of the year to arrive although it can get hot in January and February. It will seem very strange to have hot days over Xmas but I love it. I hated the crowds and the crazy build up to Christmas in the UK. Have you got your visa yet?

I don't know much sign as English is my primary communication and while I have deaf friends I'm not part of the culture but from the little I know, BSL and Auslan look pretty similar. They have the same fingerspelling and lots of the basic signs look very close if not the same. From what I understand, deaf convicts brought British sign with them back in the 19th century to Australia. I imagine you will be able to pick things up quickly.

Are you on British expats? Lots of good info there for people moving to Australia. :)

Hello Deafboyone,

I'm in Sydney - I was a pom originally like you. I came here 10 years ago. Best wishes with your move and it's a nice time of the year to arrive although it can get hot in January and February. It will seem very strange to have hot days over Xmas but I love it. I hated the crowds and the crazy build up to Christmas in the UK. Have you got your visa yet?

I don't know much sign as English is my primary communication and while I have deaf friends I'm not part of the culture but from the little I know, BSL and Auslan look pretty similar. They have the same fingerspelling and lots of the basic signs look very close if not the same. From what I understand, deaf convicts brought British sign with them back in the 19th century to Australia. I imagine you will be able to pick things up quickly.

Are you on British expats? Lots of good info there for people moving to Australia. :)

I thought you resided in QLD, my bad.

In bold, is correct, like R2D2 said, yes, the BSL has influenced AUSLAN in the 19th century. For you, DeafBoyOne - You will pick up the AUSLAN pretty quick, like R2D2 said - Good luck, Pete.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Looks like you've found a few new mates (acquaintances) already--heh. Hope you'll enjoy your stay here in AD! ;)

:wave:
~RR

Thanks guys. Nice to know plenty of advice coming through. Hope to meet most of you in 2008. Look forward to it! Cheers Pete - DeafboyOne

Sunshine!

Cool...I agree absolutely! Laughter is the best medecine.What do you know of Sydney, Australia...If nothing...no problem ...You are wilkommen anytime to visit..You have a beautiful smile...I'm sorry mine is a bit skeletal...
Fascinated DeafboyOne

Cool...I agree absolutely! Laughter is the best medecine.What do you know of Sydney, Australia...If nothing...no problem ...You are wilkommen anytime to visit..You have a beautiful smile...I'm sorry mine is a bit skeletal...
Fascinated DeafboyOne

Hi... thanks for agreement about my "laughter is the best medience!" *smile*
*laugh* you are so funny, you don´t need to say sorry.

yeaaaah, I do know of Sydney Australia. Why do you think, that "if nothing"?? Sydney is famous, we all do know where is Sydney? *wink* anyway, I do want visiting in Sydney, but don´t know...because I am going to US on this fall. maybe in 10 yrs later I could come to Sydney LOL
Are you excite about go to Sydney? I think, yes
enjoy your nite

Back