Hi all :)

Krissy

Reaction score
I'm Krissy, 20 from Manchester.
I've just joined here hoping to meet people in the community because if I'm honest right now I feel like I don't really belong anywhere. I lost the majority of my hearing when I was 14 and now I can't communicate properly with hearing people or deaf people as I don't know fluent sign language and most people don't see me as a deaf person that are hearing. Especially the people who knew me before this happened, including my family, which frustrates me. I've never had advice / support and truthfully I don't think I'll ever get over losing my hearing and I'm waffling now because I don't speak to people about this and I probably made one of the worst first impressions ever lol..so let me start again :P

Hi :)
I'd love to meet friends here and it'd be great to hear from any of you so please feel free to send me a message anytime! x

Hi Krissy :wave:

Have you found the 'Adjustment to late onset deafness' thread yet? (It's in the 'Our World, Our Culture' forum) It's a very long thread, but there are loads of inspiring posts by people who have lost their hearing and how they are coping (or not coping) with their hearing loss.

I also think you'll like this video called 'My Song' (link:http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...y-girl-stuck-between-hearing-deaf-worlds.html)
It's about a 17 year old deaf girl struggling to find her place in the world, finding that she doesn't fit in to the hearing world or the Deaf world.

Look forward to seeing you around here on AD (AllDeaf).

Hi Krissy :wave:

Have you found the 'Adjustment to late onset deafness' thread yet? (It's in the 'Our World, Our Culture' forum) It's a very long thread, but there are loads of inspiring posts by people who have lost their hearing and how they are coping (or not coping) with their hearing loss.

I also think you'll like this video called 'My Song' (link:http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...y-girl-stuck-between-hearing-deaf-worlds.html)
It's about a 17 year old deaf girl struggling to find her place in the world, finding that she doesn't fit in to the hearing world or the Deaf world.

Look forward to seeing you around here on AD (AllDeaf).
Thanks a lot, I'll make sure I have a look for it :)
Would be great to speak to people in the same type of situation

And wow..I've just watched that video..it was so upsetting! I'm actually crying at it o_O it was a great way to show how much people struggle though
And sorry to be random but..you have no idea what a nice change it is for someone to send me a video with subtitles, everyone seems to send me youtube links to videos and I have to guess what's going on or just pretend I listened to the song etc lol it's so strange, it's the first time someone's ever gave me subtitles on something so I just had to mention it and say I appriciate it

Thanks a lot, I'll make sure I have a look for it :)
Would be great to speak to people in the same type of situation

And wow..I've just watched that video..it was so upsetting! I'm actually crying at it o_O it was a great way to show how much people struggle though
And sorry to be random but..you have no idea what a nice change it is for someone to send me a video with subtitles, everyone seems to send me youtube links to videos and I have to guess what's going on or just pretend I listened to the song etc lol it's so strange, it's the first time someone's ever gave me subtitles on something so I just had to mention it and say I appriciate it

I know what you mean about subtitles - it's so frustrating when video clips doesn't have them!!! In YouTube I try using the automated captioning software provided by Google (click on small red 'CC' button and select 'Transcribe Audio') but some clips don't allow me to use it and when they do, it is often so inaccurate that it doesn't help at all!

I know what you mean about subtitles - it's so frustrating when video clips doesn't have them!!! In YouTube I try using the automated captioning software provided by Google (click on small red 'CC' button and select 'Transcribe Audio') but some clips don't allow me to use it and when they do, it is often so inaccurate that it doesn't help at all!

I'm totally confused, there's an option to do that on Youtube? :S I've uploaded a couple of my own vids and saw the option but I just thought it was for when uploaders get a word wrong in a lyrics video and need to put a caption over it or something so I've never clicked it lol

I'm going to have a bash at it myself, no matter how bad it may be, it's better than nothing :P lol thanks for the tip. And truthfully I hate telling people I need things like subtitles because they don't really..get it lol, I remember being in my exs house and he wouldn't realise for like an hr that we'd been watching TV without them or he wouldn't put them on while someone else was in the room as he was embarrassed or something

Note : Just tried the captioning on Youtube, you're right, it pretty much sucks lol atleast they have the option though I suppose :P
And if it's any help..it seems to recognize Ben Stiller's voice pretty good XD haha

Krissy, are you currently in College? Have you considered Gallaudet University? You get a log of exposure to ASL there. Besides, I love to bring more deaf to the Washington DC/Baltimore area! :)

Welcome to AD! :wave: I've read some of your comments here and I want to make sure you feel welcomed here. I too lost my hearing, but I was only 4 at the time so I don't really remember what "normal" hearing is like. Let us know if you have any questions!

I've often thought it might be a good idea to not forget about postlingal kids. It does seem like a lot of postlingal kids do well under a traditional HOH style intervention. Did you know back in the old old days when public schools were closed off to deaf kids, a lot of kids at Clarke/CID/Mystic Oral school and the other oral schools were postlingal kids who hadn't done well in a mainstream placement?
However, there are postlingal kids who may feel like they might want a formal dhh program and exposure to ASL etc. I think we've had a few teen deafend people post and say they wish they'd gotten exposure to deaf ed...like dhh program.

Krissy, are you currently in College? Have you considered Gallaudet University? You get a log of exposure to ASL there. Besides, I love to bring more deaf to the Washington DC/Baltimore area! :)

Welcome to AD! :wave: I've read some of your comments here and I want to make sure you feel welcomed here. I too lost my hearing, but I was only 4 at the time so I don't really remember what "normal" hearing is like. Let us know if you have any questions!

Hey Cheetah :) I'm not currently in college unfortuately, I'd love to go back when I can though, I miss it lol, and I'd love to go to Gallaudet University but unfortuately I'm in England :P lol and I've never left, I can't see me getting on a plane any time soon o_O the thought scares me lol

And thanks :) that's really sweet of you hehe
I'm sorry to hear :( and if I'm honest, eventhough I lost my hearing after you, I think you forget what it's like to have "normal" hearing anyway, but I remember being able to have proper conversations with people and it wasn't awkward.
How did you lose your hearing if you don't mind me askiing?

I've often thought it might be a good idea to not forget about postlingal kids. It does seem like a lot of postlingal kids do well under a traditional HOH style intervention. Did you know back in the old old days when public schools were closed off to deaf kids, a lot of kids at Clarke/CID/Mystic Oral school and the other oral schools were postlingal kids who hadn't done well in a mainstream placement?
However, there are postlingal kids who may feel like they might want a formal dhh program and exposure to ASL etc. I think we've had a few teen deafend people post and say they wish they'd gotten exposure to deaf ed...like dhh program.

I just had to google the definition for postlingal, I had no idea what it meant lol

I never knew public schools were closed off to deaf children, although when I first tried to go to college they didn't want to accept me for being deaf, which was heartbreaking. They said that I couldn't have any help like a notes taker and because I couldn't use BSL I couldn't have an interpreter and I persuaded them to take me on without help because they were so reluctant to give me any and I said I'd rather struggle and try than not go at all.
And to be honest I was debating to myself yesterday whether I'm deaf or HOH, medically I think I'm deaf but I think psychologically I class myself as HOH so it's confusing, but I'm tired of trying so hard with hearing people, if that makes sense, because they don't appriciate it if I try and because they don't understand they don't try to meet me half way and everything's kind of confusing.

And to be honest I wish I had exposure to deaf ed too, and I'm so sorry for waffling, I've never spoke to people about being deaf before so now that I'm on here things start to flood out lol for the past 6 years I've tried to ignore my hearing loss

Hey Cheetah :) I'm not currently in college unfortuately, I'd love to go back when I can though, I miss it lol, and I'd love to go to Gallaudet University but unfortuately I'm in England :P lol and I've never left, I can't see me getting on a plane any time soon o_O the thought scares me lol

And thanks :) that's really sweet of you hehe
I'm sorry to hear :( and if I'm honest, eventhough I lost my hearing after you, I think you forget what it's like to have "normal" hearing anyway, but I remember being able to have proper conversations with people and it wasn't awkward.
How did you lose your hearing if you don't mind me askiing?

You are absolutely right, I have no memory of good hearing.

we have a few folks here from the UK, they might be able to give better direction to local resources than I can. We have a city named Manchester here in Maryland, not too far from where I live. That's why I thought you were local. You should come to the US some day, I'd be happy to show you around! :)

You are absolutely right, I have no memory of good hearing.

we have a few folks here from the UK, they might be able to give better direction to local resources than I can. We have a city named Manchester here in Maryland, not too far from where I live. That's why I thought you were local. You should come to the US some day, I'd be happy to show you around! :)

Hehe yeah, I found out not too long ago there was a city over there called Manchester, just makes things more complicated to have the same name in different countries :P
And thank you ^_^ that's very kind! I'd love to visit some day, it's one of my life goals hehe

I just had to google the definition for postlingal, I had no idea what it meant lol

I never knew public schools were closed off to deaf children, although when I first tried to go to college they didn't want to accept me for being deaf, which was heartbreaking. They said that I couldn't have any help like a notes taker and because I couldn't use BSL I couldn't have an interpreter and I persuaded them to take me on without help because they were so reluctant to give me any and I said I'd rather struggle and try than not go at all.
And to be honest I was debating to myself yesterday whether I'm deaf or HOH, medically I think I'm deaf but I think psychologically I class myself as HOH so it's confusing, but I'm tired of trying so hard with hearing people, if that makes sense, because they don't appriciate it if I try and because they don't understand they don't try to meet me half way and everything's kind of confusing.

And to be honest I wish I had exposure to deaf ed too, and I'm so sorry for waffling, I've never spoke to people about being deaf before so now that I'm on here things start to flood out lol for the past 6 years I've tried to ignore my hearing loss

Just to clarify, most dhh kids attend mainstream schools now :( Are you talking about college as in what we call secondary school here in the states? There are a couple of Deaf secondary schools in the UK.....too bad you didn't know about them. Also too bad that the UK doesn't have postsecondary dhh programs or at least universities with a large popualtion of dhh kids.

and I think that Krissy would be postlingal or teen deafened. I think that teens who lose their hearing do tend to deal with different issues then someone who is truely late deafened or who loses their hearing as an older teen.

Just to clarify, most dhh kids attend mainstream schools now :( Are you talking about college as in what we call secondary school here in the states? There are a couple of Deaf secondary schools in the UK.....too bad you didn't know about them. Also too bad that the UK doesn't have postsecondary dhh programs or at least universities with a large popualtion of dhh kids.

Oh, sorry, yes I think I mean your seondary school because your college is our University lol
And ahh, I don't know the deaf schools over here, but I've always thought it'd be better to attend a main stream school as I don't know fluent BSL, I'm teaching myself at the minute, and I hope to attend classes soon, although I suffer from anxiety so can't do classes right now but after therapy I hope I get back to "myself"

and I think that Krissy would be postlingal or teen deafened. I think that teens who lose their hearing do tend to deal with different issues then someone who is truely late deafened or who loses their hearing as an older teen.
I had repettitive ear infections in both ears which is how I lost my hearing but the whole of my "dads" family are deaf from birth, so they ran some tests to try and find exactly why I went deaf when I did and I got no answer, I remember I had lots of hearing tests when I was growing up as my "dad" was told that he couldn't have hearing children, and my tests were pretty much normal
The problem is my "dad" isn't the type of father you would class as a father, and I have no contact with his family, and he's recently died, so things are complicated

There is another ADer who is from where you are from. Lissa but she hasnt posted for a while. Hope she comes back.

There is large deaf population at wolverampton Uni, and another one, I think it's Derby. Most Unis are very good at providing accomodations, many many of my deaf friends are Oxford, Wolves, Derby, or local Uni's graduates.

Krissy needs to get her self strong as advocate for her needs. I couldn't sign well after leaving oral school, was provided with notetakers without fuss through my college years (college here is post 16/secondary school usually before Uni). There are Communication Support Worker which i currently uses for work, a person who supports individual needs. If I need a signer, she will sign, if i need her to write whats on the board so I can listen/lipread to teacher talking, she will do it as i cannot write and listen/lipread at sametime. Krissy needs to fight tooth and nail for accomodations.

A lot of deaf schools/units had been closing down. In Hampshire alone there is one TOD for 167 deaf kids!!! Disgusting... Hampshire refuses to send any child to deaf school.

For everyone's Information, it's from the top of my head (i think this is correct, if anyone thinks its wrong please let me know)

Preschool 3-5
Infants 5-7
Primary 7-11
Secondary 11-16
6th form/college 16-18/19
University 17/18 onwards depending on A level grades

It also depends on your age on 31st August.

Back