hi all..newbie here..

*Abilynn*

Reaction score
Hi all,

my name is Abilynn, i'm 32 and mother of 5boys: Joshua is 13, Dominic & Donovan are 5, Isaiah is 3 and Zachary is 20mo..The reason i'm posting here is because our son Isaiah has had Meningitis, which made him 80-85% deaf. That was about a month ago..We are now learning ASL but we're deciding which school we'll put him in. Regular or deafschool, he's only 3yo, but i would like to hear your oppinions about schools....

Greetings

Abilynn

Hi Abilynn, welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here... I'm glad you asked us to express our opinions... of course opinions' good but in the final run you make the decision, etc...

I'm similar in your son's shoe before but in different way but this can give you some ideas... I was born hearing until age of 2. I had ear infections way too often so went to see doctor and they did something by putting tube or something in my ear, after that I became deaf... I did went to mainstream regular school where they have a deaf program until I was 10 or 11. At the time I complained alot due to social skills. Sure mainstream regular school have some deaf people but in small numbers. Deaf school have large number of deaf/HOH students, etc. So I pick up ASL quickly in deaf school and continue until I graduated... now this give you some small ideas but I'd suggest you do some research on the deaf school or any mainstream regular school that provide deaf program. I'd suggest you contact deaf people in your community where they can provide some feedback or some sort of thing that can help you to get better mind... Also put yourself in your son's shoe... Imagine if you were deaf yourself at the age, what would you want to do, etc? there's alot of decision to be made... Whenever you make the decision will have huge effect on your son's future. The import thing is ASL, english, reading, and social... Good luck with your decision! :thumb:

Welcome to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

Sounds like you've got a busy life ahead of you. Yes, hopefully... you'll learn a lot during your visit here! :wave:

Hi Abilynn—welcome to alldeaf. You’ve come to the right place for advice—almost everybody here will be more than willing to offer you guidance when you need it. All you have to do is ask. (Keep a close eye on bbnt, though—he has a tendency to rummage through your cupboards for snack food when you’re not looking).

I also lost my hearing to childhood meningitis, as did many other people here. I’m a very unusual case though, because I only lost hearing in one ear. I have almost normal hearing in the other. I went to regular mainstream schools, and the only special accommodation that had to be made for me was that the teachers had to be sure that I was always seated on the right side of the room. Almost everybody here will agree that you’re doing the right thing by fostering early ASL development in Isaiah and in learning ASL yourself. :applause: You’ve already taken the single most important action you could take to ensure social and educational success for him. Keep lurking and posting—we’ll want to hear more about Isaiah’s future ups and downs. And here’s wishing you and your entire family an enjoyable holiday season. :wave:

Hello Welcome to ALLDEAF.. I am also from Ohio In Cleveland area.. Not too far where u are at now... Feel freel to ask me anything u would like I know alot of places and where deaf people hang out at.... *smile*... Hope u have fun in here and thats good that u are learning asl... my dad learned but then forgets them all and then only knows the sign 'broke no money broke' LOL....

Hi Abilynn, ;)

Welcome to ALLDeaf! Wow, U have your hands full!!....Hope to see you around....and It's a pleasure having you here.....*Welcome Hugs*...

^Angel^ :ily:

Newbie too

Hello welcome I,

Im a newbie here and awkward in this whole website. I'll come back and play more later. Have a good day people.

Back