Hi all, from Port Orchard WA

Condor1970

Reaction score
Just thought I'd let everyone know, I decided to join this forum, mainly to understand everything going on in the world of the hearing impaired. I personally am not hearing impaired to any degree, other than may a tiny bit of tinnitus from working around industrial equipment most of my life.

My 14yo daughter though, is almost completely deaf now. She has recently lost almost all of her hearing in the left ear, after being fully deaf in her right ear since she was a baby. Now, it is at the point where we are probably going to have to do a bilateral cochlear implant. Because of this, I have so many questions about the latest technology, and its pro & cons.

Outside of all that, I just wanted to say Hi.

Hello. I hope you find you answered here. I know one thing that a CI is not a miracle worker. I do not have one but I had a history teacher who had one and when he was my teacher didn't even work anymore. With the CI would she still learn how to sign and be a part of the deaf world or is she just only going to be in the hearing world? Are you going to learn to sign? Hearing people tend to think that a CI is a cure for deafness when it isn't and to cure something means to relieve the symptoms of a disease and being deaf is not a disease. Just saying. But if it's her choice and she feels she will benefit from it do all the research you can because it's not reversible.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I decided to join this forum, mainly to understand everything going on in the world of the hearing impaired. I personally am not hearing impaired to any degree, other than may a tiny bit of tinnitus from working around industrial equipment most of my life.

My 14yo daughter though, is almost completely deaf now. She has recently lost almost all of her hearing in the left ear, after being fully deaf in her right ear since she was a baby. Now, it is at the point where we are probably going to have to do a bilateral cochlear implant. Because of this, I have so many questions about the latest technology, and its pro & cons.

Outside of all that, I just wanted to say Hi.

Hello, and welcome. Wishing your daughter all the best. Hope you can get lots of answers concerning CI as many on this board have them and are very successful with them.

I have no issues with the term "hearing impaired" , I know there are people that do . I really think a person should be free to use any term they want.

hello- welcome... I know a few people who were/are from Port Orchard and still visit there.

One thing you might want to do, even thou she's postlingal, is to contact Washington School for the Deaf...http://www.wsd.wa.gov/ They can hook her up with all sorts of great services etc......I'm thinking that she'll do great at a public school with a minimal accomondations approach... but of course you do have to have a person come and train her teachers. That's where Outreach comes in. Also, if she wants to learn to Sign,(somewhat popular even with postlingal teens) she could attend WSD for a semester or so to build her sign skills(that's actually not that unusual for someone to spend a semester or two at a deaf school to learn ASL).... I am not sure how strongly academic WSD's high school is. I know it's an OK Deaf School. (meaning it's not one of those AWFUL schools that is poorly funded, and has global low expectations. At the Deaf Schools that have decent staff and use the same curriculum as the hearing schools, a Deaf kid who is on par or gifted can get a pretty good education) I don't think that Washington has dhh programs..(which sucks as those are the best of both worlds, especially for HOH and postlingal kids) ...And then maybe there might also be the option of going to MSSD, if she REALLY wants to opt for Deaf School. They have a honors program... Actually Gally has a summer program for dhh teens to learn ASL :
http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs/immerse_into_asl.html

One thing you might want to do, even thou she's postlingal, is to contact Washington School for the Deaf...http://www.wsd.wa.gov/ They can hook her up with all sorts of great services etc......I'm thinking that she'll do great at a public school with a minimal accomondations approach... but of course you do have to have a person come and train her teachers. That's where Outreach comes in. Also, if she wants to learn to Sign,(somewhat popular even with postlingal teens) she could attend WSD for a semester or so to build her sign skills(that's actually not that unusual for someone to spend a semester or two at a deaf school to learn ASL).... I am not sure how strongly academic WSD's high school is. I know it's an OK Deaf School. (meaning it's not one of those AWFUL schools that is poorly funded, and has global low expectations. At the Deaf Schools that have decent staff and use the same curriculum as the hearing schools, a Deaf kid who is on par or gifted can get a pretty good education) I don't think that Washington has dhh programs..(which sucks as those are the best of both worlds, especially for HOH and postlingal kids) ...And then maybe there might also be the option of going to MSSD, if she REALLY wants to opt for Deaf School. They have a honors program... Actually Gally has a summer program for dhh teens to learn ASL :
http://www.gallaudet.edu/summer_programs/youth_programs/immerse_into_asl.html

Washington has quite a few dhh programs in public schools.

Washington has quite a few dhh programs in public schools.

In that case that would be good... She may be postlingal, but she could still strongly benefit from being in a dhh program, since the support there tends to be a lot better then dealing with mainstream school systems that act like if you request more then basic accomondations, you're cheating the system.

Back