Hey ya'll I have a question... if you would?

Darkinday

Reaction score
I am doing a research paper for my computer class on technology. My personal subject of choice concerns deaf technology. And basically although, I have experience with some of the technology, and communication devices, (I am personally hard of hearing), I need someone else' imput for the project. If you do respond I do want you to know that I will reference you in the paper. Thanks.

Questionnaire

1.) When did you first become deaf?

2.) How do you communicate with others?

3.) How do you think your hearing loss affects your life?

4.) What technology do you use? i.e. hearing aids, cochlear implants, computers, txt messaging, VRS, skype, etc.

5.) Do you think there should be advancement in certain types of technology? If so, what?

Questionnaire

Born so.

I speak. I sign. I do pantomime. I write brilliantly. And a little tapdance.

Makes me fascinating to some people. Makes some people nervous around me. Gives me a club in any large town automatically of people just like me.

4.) What technology do you use? i.e. hearing aids, cochlear implants, computers, text messaging, VRS, skype, etc.

One dead ear. One hearing aid. Computer. Text msg. Relay. Skype. (for hearing family only)

5.) Do you think there should be advancement in certain types of technology? If so, what?

Yes. I would like an easily portable affordable device That I could type what I want to say and it would speak it for me.

Yes. I would like an easily portable affordable device That I could type what I want to say and it would speak it for me.

Bottesini, That is wonderful and exactly the thing I needed. Thank you very much. I have so many books on the subject, and I personally have a hearing aid, but the project needs others opinions. :ty:

I went and asked my hearing aid professional, and he came up with an idea for bluetooth to connect to the HA's and other devices in the home. Like the doorbell, tv, phone etc etc. (assuming we can hear on those frequencies)

Questionnaire

Born hoh, total deaf 4 1/2 years ago

Right now, I speak and read lips barely. I also write notes.

I have some issues with conversations, but as far as my life in general, I'm not really much different. Maybe a little more withdrawn.

4.) What technology do you use? i.e. hearing aids, cochlear implants, computers, txt messaging, VRS, skype, etc.
Skype, ooVoo, P3, Yahoo instant message, MSN chat, Google Talk, AIM Blast, Facebook chat and CapTel telephone

More affordable products. Better captioning on television, movies and videos.

I am HOH, became that way about 6 years ago when my hearing started to decrease slowly. I am 27 now.

Well, since I am not Deaf, I can communicate through speaking, although in tough situations, I can lipread well and use ASL when communicating with Deaf people or if I just straight up cannot hear.

Hearing loss affects my life by not being able to hear important conversations effectively, such as in court and in school, and at church.

I use 2 red digital Unitron BTE's about 75% of the time, I use instant messaging, email, skype, and text messaging.

I don't know how much more technology they can come up with, there is so much out there now. I think it has come a long way and we are very lucky to have so much of the technology we have as Deaf and HOH people to communicate.

Thanks! and good luck! :wiggle:

Back