hey, new kid here

JabberJay

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm neomayja, I've been lurking around a bit and finally decided to join in all the fun.
I'm just learning asl now for 2 reasons although I should of started earlier because I had plenty of warning.
I've had issues with my hearing from a young age but wasn't picked up on until highschool because of the nature of hearing difficulty that I have. By then although I was told I should learn asl, I figured I was doing just fine in the hearing world until fairly recently.

I have trouble with lower pitches and processing what I do hear. I can hear a dog whistle but if a person has a low enough voice (pitch wise) then forget it. Also the voices I can hear do not usually make sense unless I lipread along with it because words and noises get muddled together. My brain doesn't like to seperate voices or specific sounds from everything else.

The difference then and now is that then the doctors said that it could get worse in puberty, which didn't happen, and said it shouldn't change much in my 20s. Here's the issue, I'm in my 20s and I'm noticing a change in the last year so so. I trust my gut feeling enough to know when to prepare, even though I was told it shouldn't get much worse.

The second reason is that I'm engaged and there are people on his side of the family that I want to be able to communicate with. I don't have that much time as one is getting married in a few months and I'm invited.

The guy I'm engaged to doesn't know sign but is willing to learn if I stick with it, so I may need some practice partners when I feel a bit more comfortable.

I live in northern Alberta Canada where the jobs are good but the weather is freezing, and I hate the cold.

Well I hope to get to meet many people that I can talk with.

Back