Hey nearly 3 months now!!!!

Deaffy

Reaction score
Well I've been on AD everyday since getting the CI just havent felt the need to post and was more lurking in teh shadows for a bit. I'm about to hit 3 months with my CI now. I have had one Hell of a ride with this thing. Its pretty wild to be ableto do some of things I used to do that I let myself stop doing for so many years. I just got back from a trip visiting some old family in West Virgina. Man That state is by far the most beautiful ( yet some parts rather poor living) I have ever seen in the Fall. I woke up in my uncles cabin on saturday morning, He lives basically on a mountain lol In the horizen I could see the mountains with all the coloured leaves and heard soo many bird chirps and looked out into the field next to the house there were 6 deer grazing ( all doe's :aw:). It was an awsome experience. So I dont want to be labled as one of them Deaf folks who get a CI and then abandon AD. I enjoy some peoples different views and how supportive some are to others on here. SO basically what i'm saying is ........ IM BACK!!!!!!

hi, good to see you are doing good. yeah, some people move on and find something they can relate.

Glad Deaffy the Cochlear Implant worked out well for you. I can recall going a "single dance" 3 days after activation. Real different! The music "seemed to be one octave higher". It was remapped the next day! Inside joke-dances are "Cochlear Implant exercise"- loud music to quiet people voices-environment-- at the same time.

Implanted-Advance Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Hey Deaffy, Nice to see u back on board, it was getting boring with silly school playground debates, I am sure you know which threads I am talking about.

Yeah, having CI had open alot for me since I never heard alot of things. Now days, people tell me off for pretending not to hear them!! (they smoked out my trick into getting out of things I don't want to do!! LOL... Damn...)

Stay in touch...

Glad to see ya again!....Yeah, the foliage this time of year is awesome. Lots cooler here (in Florida) also....:wave:

Glad the CI is beneficial to you. It's nice to hear about the success stories. I was a bit shocked when you said (I believe in another thread) that hearing with the CI was like natural hearing. You are the first person I have heard that from. Interesting. :hmm:

Glad the CI is beneficial to you. It's nice to hear about the success stories. I was a bit shocked when you said (I believe in another thread) that hearing with the CI was like natural hearing. You are the first person I have heard that from. Interesting. :hmm:

Must be the technology....

Hi Deaffy. I told you not to abandon us, and I thought you had anyway.

I am glad to see you here. :)

The only auditory memories I have is from my hearing aids (wore it since 3 years old) so that's another reason for different outcome.

The only auditory memories I have is from my hearing aids so that's why the different outcome.

Not necessarily so. I never had 100% hearing but I hear with my CI as if I had hearing at one time. To put it succinctly, I'm one of those high achievers with a CI and using the phone all the time and on it goes.

BTW - That was my point! Auditory memories are just one part of the equation.

That's good to know that auditory memories have little to do with it.

They won't implant born deaf-mute adult at all after they attempt to try it (a much OLDER technology) But I wonder if they would try again with today technology (yeah, I know about the plasticity thing.. but who know) .

That's good to know that auditory memories have little to do with it.

They won't implant born deaf-mute adult at all after they attempt to try it (a much OLDER technology) But I wonder if they would try again with today technology..

To clarify, auditory memory does play an important role. I was just trying to say there are too many variables at play think any one thing is the trick for great outcomes. Deaffy had the benefit of prior hearing to work with and that definitely helped him. I had other things along with auditory memory to have my great outcome. Everybody is different.

That is a million dollar question. I think it has been pretty well established that those with no auditory memory have the hardest time with CIs. It is difficult to establish hearing when one has nothing to go by in the past. They might be that one in a million individual (if you will) that will have a great outcome without any auditory memory.

Not necessarily so. I never had 100% hearing but I hear with my CI as if I had hearing at one time. To put it succinctly, I'm one of those high achievers with a CI and using the phone all the time and on it goes.

BTW - That was my point! Auditory memories are just one part of the equation.
How long did it take you to use the phone that frequently after you had the CI...?

How long did it take you to use the phone that frequently after you had the CI...?

I started using it day two after activation to talk with my wife. Day four I had a long conversation with my brother in Texas.

I would say within a week or two I could use it comfortably. It kind of went hand in hand as I got better with my CI in general.

In a couple of months after activation, I was an old pro at it.

Same here. I was able to use the phone within a few weeks of being activated, Altho I dont enjoy using it as much as I did back when I had reg hearing. Music tho on the other hand has been a blessing and was a big surprise to me that I can now enoy it like I used to. Regular everyday conversation is awsome now. I do take the implant off from time to time throughout the day and I have noticed a huge decline in my lip reading skills since now being able to hear the speech. I didnt think I would lose that but aparently it happens!

My lipreading without speech (voice) had gone down as well but it was already 28% pre implant so I do rely a great deal on speech to support my lipreading. My non lipreading skills are on the increase but very slowly, it's difficult to keep up with practice when I don't have regular person who willing to take time to hold conversation on the phone with me on the other end. My mom will but she lives 2 countries away "think phone bill - $$$!!"

Back