Hey MOD! Please rename this Closet sub forum

I knew that you are going to say that. I just want to see if you are really paying attention. You have good eyes. :giggle:

Hmmm Are you testing my own intellengence? Glad I passed your test. LOL :giggle:

My point to make GLBT people feels comfortable to use Alldeaf.com without feeling like they're degraded because they're GLBT not straight people. The closet is degrading us, GLBT people, seriously. We need to change the name so no one here will be degraded.
Okay, but why is "The Closet" degrading?

For instance, if we had a sub-forum called "For Fatties Only"... I could argue that the term "fatties" degrades those who are overweight or consider themselves overweight because it is a derogatory term... and suggest that a new title be used such as "Weight Watchers". :thumb:

Okay, but why is "The Closet" degrading?

For instance, if we had a sub-forum called "For Fatties Only"... I could argue that the term "fatties" degrades those who are overweight or consider themselves overweight because it is a derogatory term... and suggest that a new title be used such as "Weight Watchers". :thumb:

Please read the posts above here. It explains everything.

Perhaps the "Closet" term seems to be offensive to some of you but yet, acceptable to some of you as well.

I think it would be better to settle down on something that can be reasonable to both sides (for those who are in the closet and for those who are not in the closet.) but however, it seems like we can't please everyone with anything.

In the time being, It is best to ask for other opinions and to harvest it rather than going ahead to change it all of the sudden.

How about trying to see if it could be named GBLT Community? I don't know. As Vampyrox stated earlier, Nobody has made a fuss about how that forum was named and that forum has been around for a while. Why is it brought up now? It could have been brought up before as well.

Metroguy03, you could create a poll to see if anyone wants to change it to whatever other than "The Closet" That way, the mods will see their opinions for if it's neccessary.

Perhaps the "Closet" term seems to be offensive to some of you but yet, acceptable to some of you as well.

I think it would be better to settle down on something that can be reasonable to both sides (for those who are in the closet and for those who are not in the closet.) but however, it seems like we can't please everyone with anything.

In the time being, It is best to ask for other opinions and to harvest it rather than going ahead to change it all of the sudden.

How about trying to see if it could be named GBLT Community? I don't know. As Vampyrox stated earlier, Nobody has made a fuss about how that forum was named and that forum has been around for a while. Why is it brought up now? It could have been brought up before as well.
Yep.

As you said, there are some who are in the closet and some who are out of the closet. Doesn't that make "The Closet" a perfect title? It can be in or out of the closet. ;)

Instead of saying "big car", "small car", "black car", or "white car"... we simply say "car". :)

Nope, all the posts say that "The Closet" is offensive to GLBT... but doesn't say WHY. :dunno:

Look all the way above this page, you will see two members posted with explainations about The Closet. Please try read all posts and you will find the answers there.

Look all the way above this page, you will see two members posted with explainations about The Closet. Please try read all posts and you will find the answers there.
Care to quote them?

The only post I see is someone referring to being "in the closet" and that GLBT are open. The other post is a link to Wikipedia with a definition. Both don't explain why it's offensive.

What about members who are still in the closet?

"The Closet" has two meanings and fit anyone who are still in the closet or have come out of the closet. :thumb:

Ok. In the history, the gay people CAN'T admit that they are gay, or they will be beating to death, or just simply kill, or full of hatred because they are gay. What gay people do, they went to someplace that nobody would ever go, and they do the sex things and making out, everything, they are actually hiding. They call that a "The Closet".

Now, today, gay people want to be openly gay, not hiding it, or fear to admit they are. They don't want to be stuck in the "The Closet" anymore and want to open the closet to everyone, and accepting, as peace.

Now you get it?

That is the explainations.

Many people who are out of the closet don't like to be considered themselves to be in the closet at all. I am out to everyone and I have no desire to return to the closet. If not everyone here is out yet... It should rename it to welcome everyone not just for out only... Also includes closeted guys too.

That is the explainations.

Many people who are out of the closet don't like to be considered themselves to be in the closet at all. I am out to everyone and I have no desire to return to the closet. If not everyone here is out yet... It should rename it to welcome everyone not just for out only... Also includes closeted guys too.
The first quote refers to people who are out of the closet.

Well, the title isn't "In The Closet". It's simply "The Closet". Like I said, it could have two meaning... so it can be referring to people who are in the closet or out of the closet. That makes the place more comfortable for people who are already out of the closet or still in the closet. :)

As for the Wikipedia comment, where does it say that it's offensive? Let me quote something from Wikipedia... "It is the power of the closet to shape the core of an individual's life that has made homosexuality into a significant personal, social, and political drama in twentieth-century America." Therefore, "The Closet" is a positive thing for people who are in or out of the closet. :)

I would say the term 'closet' insinuates one has something to hide from. It is insinuating that it is wrong. Clear enough.
I think some find it offensive for this reason. They are trying to overcome this subtle implication in the language.
think about it....when we are kids we hear things about gay peeps......then we hear they are in the closet...why?.....well, hiding of course....so we automatically assume it is bad. lol maybe it is.....just saying that if it is a gay forum....one would assume they did not have to put up with this implication in there own forum. Guess you'd call it modern political correctness.

I would say the term 'closet' insinuates one has something to hide from. It is insinuating that it is wrong. Clear enough.
I think some find it offensive for this reason. They are trying to overcome this subtle implication in the language.
think about it....when we are kids we hear things about gay peeps......then we hear they are in the closet...why?.....well, hiding of course....so we automatically assume it is bad. lol maybe it is.....just saying that if it is a gay forum....one would assume they did not have to put up with this implication in there own forum. Guess you'd call it modern political correctness.
So, what about those who are still in the closet? Will they be comfortable with something that's "too open"?

Why is it brought up now? It could have been brought up before as well.

Good question. I guess not many people here realize it or hestitate to say something about it. I have guts to say anything what I have in my mind.

So, what about those who are still in the closet? Will they be comfortable with something that's "too open"?

Well... If people who are still closeted are smart enough do not go public about it since alldeaf.com is public access also deaf community is extremely small world and anyone will finds out no matter what. Some people need to think about it before they do anything about it. That is called "common sense." :)

Back