hey, look! another ignorant question...

Chris and I stomp our feet, wave our arms and flash the lights to get each other's attention, not necessarily in that order. ;)

Cookie Monster said:
Chris and I stomp our feet, wave our arms and flash the lights to get each other's attention, not necessarily in that order. ;)

No hair pulling or biting?

Since when was it part of bedroom extracurricular? I always thought it was part of the curriculum. Silly me. :dunno:

cental34 said:
Since when was it part of bedroom extracurricular? I always thought it was part of the curriculum. Silly me. :dunno:

Mannn, we've been doing everything wrong... :o

cental34 said:
]
Another ignorant question. :Oops: Is stomping your foot effective at all? As in, are the vibrations that apparent?
Depends on the floor, some floors carry vibrations better than others, (i.e., wood better than concrete). When I want a deaf person's attention, I usually wave my hand in the "deafie" way, or tap them.
WARNING: This doesn't always work if you get used to it and do it in hearing culture. Hearing people think you are perverted, agressive, or just plain weird.
Those are great tactics when you are near each other in a room. In the case of a larger distance or laziness :) throwing something is okay, but something kinda big and soft! Nothing that could take a person's eye out. Eyes are important to everyone, but deaf people have an even stronger um...shall we say... attraction to them than most. You will be chewed out for throwing some potentially harmful, whether you hurt someone or not. This is also in very informal settings. (i.e. dorm room) Don't do this in business meeting.
Flashing lights are great for getting a group of people's attention, or if u want to let a deaf person know you are entering a room and they aren't facing you.
If you want the attention of someone across the room, if can catch the attention of someone across the room, and ask them to tap that person for you, that works.
umm.... what else do I do? Turning off the TV the person is watching seems to work, lol, no guarantee on the TYPE of person you will be getting a response from though.
okay, hope I helped, gn

Okay, now my turn for an ingnorant question.... How does snapping get the attention of a deaf person? Does it have something to do with the pitch or decibels or whatever you wanna call it?

My little brother used to punch me to get my attention. I can hear enough to hear him yell my name, but I sometimes end up in "deep thoughts." He used to punch me when I would snore. We had bunk-beds. I still love him.

The other day, I tried to get my teacher's attention (she is deaf) by snapping. I'm such a moron. Anyway, as soon as I waved, she turned around.

Mostly use stomp on the floor..
Waving, and flickering light.

Espically I really hurts my leg while stomping harder and repeatly harder.. need get attention my hubby. He has a log body doesn't feel anything vibrates distance across the bedroom from living room. (gawd) give me a break.. So I asked my kid can you get Daddy for me please.... :D

Sometimes, My kid said, Daddy isn't coming. I was kind *little fumes* so and apporched to my hubby, What my kid said to you ? My hubby turns into red and said uh.. um... I don't know.. Geez.. My kid was trying to tell Dad, that Mommy want you.. sumth'n like that...

My long years ago when I was high school.. Deaf Teacher.. Mostly student always pull and banging on their desk make loud vibrate floor.. reason student want attention w/Teacher.. LOL Pretty funny but another classroom hearing Teacher really annoys us because dislike banging banging hell LOUD..
Sometimes scrap paper, eleastic or pencil throw and hit Deaf Teacher.. LOL
Pretty funny... great memories..

Our family went out camping... Mostly I use pieces tiny rocks and throw and hit my hubby's body.. sometime he really dislike it.. That camp for! :giggle:

tegumi said:
Okay, now my turn for an ingnorant question.... How does snapping get the attention of a deaf person? Does it have something to do with the pitch or decibels or whatever you wanna call it?

:) Most deaf cannot hear snapping-- hence the reason why some people are "joking" about snapping because it is a worthless method. Hearies snap because it is their habit-- like, "Hey, earth to [name] *snap snap*" so their customs seep over when they are around Deaf people... "Hey, earth to [name] *snap snap*... hey??? *snap snap*... WTF... oh... :doh: S/he is Deaf!"
For a HoH, it may be a different story, but no snapping for deafies!
You will look like a fool if you keep snapping 3 inches away from a deaf person's head for five minutes. ;) Up to you! :giggle:

gnarlydorkette said:
:) Most deaf cannot hear snapping-- hence the reason why some people are "joking" about snapping because it is a worthless method. Hearies snap because it is their habit-- like, "Hey, earth to [name] *snap snap*" so their customs seep over when they are around Deaf people... "Hey, earth to [name] *snap snap*... hey??? *snap snap*... WTF... oh... :doh: S/he is Deaf!"
You will look like a fool if you keep snapping 3 inches away from a deaf person's head for five minutes. ;) Up to you! :giggle:

That make for a funny "Jackass" style video. :rofl:

Like I said. Snapping is a habit, and sometimes its my first instinct. I guess it might just be best to get up out of my seat, walk over and politely tap them on the shoulder. Although, the laser pointer sounds like fun. :P

gnarlydorkette said:

Ohhhhhhhh okayyy.... Now I get it. Cental was talking about how he snaps to get a hearies attention, and accidently did it to a deafie. :lol: Man am I slow... :doh: My deaf friend has a bilateral loss of 85 to 87, and most of the time I can clap REALLY LOUD and it will make him look around to see where it is coming from. :giggle: Otherwise, I just wave my arms.

cental34 said:
That make for a funny "Jackass" style video. :rofl:

Like I said. Snapping is a habit, and sometimes its my first instinct. I guess it might just be best to get up out of my seat, walk over and politely tap them on the shoulder. Although, the laser pointer sounds like fun. :P

How did you get into the habit of snapping to get someones attention? In my house snapping usually means something similar to "shut up".... like when my parents always snap and me and my brother while they are talking on the phone, or when we interupt them.

Snapping is a habit because we have to snap at work to get floor support's attention.

IF its a guy...

try to attention.. in any other form ways..
my last straw.. (kick groin).

:giggle: my man :afro: havent done by me just "yet"

:nana:

I have a Deaf friend who works in construction. His coworkers throw nails at his hardhat to get his attention.

I am not recommending that method for you.

Isnt that dangerous? What's wrong with his coworkers?

I hate it when hearing people throw things at me to get my attention. It is downright rude. Funny, my deaf friends dont do that to me.

I wave, stomp, and throw things haha. But with my deaf friends, throwing things is appropriate because we know eachother - otherwise throwing something might be considered rude. Haha.

I can accept flick the light or wave. But I hate when people tap on my shoulder or touch me to get my attention because it always make me jump. I don't want people to stomp on the floor if they are in my bedroom because it will make stuff fall off the drawer or shelf, lol. Not funny if it breaks.

Stomp the floor AND throwing items will be a forbidden thing to do at my house. Yup!

Seem like I can accept thing that get my attention through my sense of sight but not sense of touch. Weird huh?

Back