Hey-lo from New York!

MABrown

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Mark and I have to say that I am very happy about joining this forum/community because, well, the people here seem really quite amazing; and I look forward to the lively conversation that is bound to occur.

I am a hearing person, but I know several who are deaf or have related difficulties and, coincidentally, I work in the captioning business (I think they inspired me, but it's also just a cool and right thing to do).

There is a lot more to come, but I am particularly excited to learn more about everyone else here.

Thanks for having me onboard!

:welcome: Nice to meet you. I've only been on the forum for about a month, but its' one of my most-visited sites now.

I'm hearing as well, just starting an ASL class next week - although I did take one years ago in college. Have been studying online for awhile.

Nice to meet you too!

I've been considering studying ASL extensively myself (I thought it was extremely interesting when I heard that its grammar is similar to that of spoken French - go figure).

I can see why you frequent this site so much; it is a fun place that is doing a good thing.

How goes your online studying? I'm actually in the process of obtaining a master's degree in HR management, and have somehow been able to balance work and that pursuit thus far.

How goes your online studying? I'm actually in the process of obtaining a master's degree in HR management, and have somehow been able to balance work and that pursuit thus far.

I've learned vocabulary. Which is a step. And there are so many conflicting ways to sign - take money for instance. I'm interested in that as I work part-time in retail. I've also found myself doing signs backwards at times because you see the video's frame of reference. Still, I feel it's been a good step.

I suspect the in-person classes will help far more in USING it and putting it all together, and using correct ASL grammar. Also, they have activities that help getting involved with the Deaf community. I am pretty sure that is the BEST way to learn - and not just about ASL. Why just learn the language? That's kind of one-dimensional to my way of thinking.

All conjecture on my part so far as I'm not out there doing it yet. It's probably (I hope) always going to be a learning process.

Mark,

May I ask what you do as far as captioning? Shows, videos, etc? Training programs? Just curious as I think it's an important service.

I wish more TV programs were captioned, and that movies would have that option in the theaters. I have difficulty hearing in noisy places - such as a TV in a waiting room. I always appreciate when they have the captions on. Or when you have company and everyone talks during a show or movie!:roll:

Mark,

May I ask what you do as far as captioning? Shows, videos, etc? Training programs? Just curious as I think it's an important service.

I wish more TV programs were captioned, and that movies would have that option in the theaters. I have difficulty hearing in noisy places - such as a TV in a waiting room. I always appreciate when they have the captions on. Or when you have company and everyone talks during a show or movie!:roll:

In short, anything that I get assigned to gets captioned. I've done many films, sitcoms, religious services, home videos, specials, etc. for the organization that I work for.

I agree that it is a very important service; as a matter of fact, it is especially useful for individuals who are learning English as well. In addition, I think studies have been that reveal that students retain significantly more from captioned programs - they both see and hear the content. I myself enjoy keeping on the captions too.

When you say there are conflicting ways to sign, I can definitely see why that would be. Since it is a full language in its own right, there certainly will be many variations on the actual acts of communication.

My brothers have been to Disney land USA, but If I ever get the chance I'd probably go to New York. Kevin.

Back