Hey hi guys.

GabeRevolte

Reaction score
hi,

my name is Gabriel Balaa,
when i was seven i became sick and lost most of my hearing
i live in southern California in Los Angeles, and i attend Alhambra high school. nice to meet you guys

Sometimes it takes a while for people to post or even look. Those of us that have been on here for a while check out all the other threads first before looking at the new people.

Hello. You will probably get more response if you share more about yourself.

Are you a mainstream student?

Are you a mainstream student?

yes. all except one class.

its kind of hard- not the classes, but making friends is hard, i think people think im weird.

i have a hearing aid, i can hear people bun normally cant make out what people are saying.

i like building motorcycles. and i want to be in the film industry when i am older

its kind of hard- not the classes, but making friends is hard, i think people think im weird.

i have a hearing aid, i can hear people bun normally cant make out what people are saying.

i like building motorcycles. and i want to be in the film industry when i am older

Lots of deaf people find it hard in the mainstream. Long ago I was a mainstream student too.

Stick around and you will find people who are just like you here. There are several high school students.

Ugh social issues tend to be really bad in high school. I know you're postlingal, but are you interested in ASL and Deaf Culture? There is a School for the Deaf in LA. index
You don't sound like you desperately need ASL accomondations and things like that....but maybe it might serve as a resource to make friends. The thing is that most resources for dhh kids and teens are targeted towards pre and peri (lost hearing while learning language.) There is Hearing Loss Association of America, but most people there are old people. I don't think I've ever seen a teen over on the messageboards. (but there are some older people who lost their hearing as kids)
There are also TONS of Dhh summer camp programs: Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
The NTID one is really good for oral kids and there's a Gally one for kids who want to learn ASL.
Here is the info for California School for the Deaf Riverside: California School for the Deaf, Riverside (CSDR)

Ugh social issues tend to be really bad in high school. I know you're postlingal, but are you interested in ASL and Deaf Culture? There is a School for the Deaf in LA. index
You don't sound like you desperately need ASL accomondations and things like that....but maybe it might serve as a resource to make friends. The thing is that most resources for dhh kids and teens are targeted towards pre and peri (lost hearing while learning language.) There is Hearing Loss Association of America, but most people there are old people. I don't think I've ever seen a teen over on the messageboards. (but there are some older people who lost their hearing as kids)
There are also TONS of Dhh summer camp programs: Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens
The NTID one is really good for oral kids and there's a Gally one for kids who want to learn ASL.
Here is the info for California School for the Deaf Riverside: California School for the Deaf, Riverside (CSDR)

there are 5 or so other deaf kids, they like me but i dont relate with them that well, i have more hearing friends who i hang out with

i have an interpreter, he signs in English, ASL sort of confuses me, but i can talk and sign pretty well, and understand it kind of

thanks for those links. i used to go to marlton school in 7 th grade and i really didn't like it. it was terrible. they treat the kids there like they are stupid

i used to go to some starbucks night things

there are 5 or so other deaf kids, they like me but i dont relate with them that well, i have more hearing friends who i hang out with

i have an interpreter, he signs in English, ASL sort of confuses me, but i can talk and sign pretty well, and understand it kind of

thanks for those links. i used to go to marlton school in 7 th grade and i really didn't like it. it was terrible. they treat the kids there like they are stupid
Really? At least you have other deaf kids at your school. Is your school one of the ones with a formal dhh program? It's possible you feel the way you do b/c you went deaf at seven. And that's understandable. Some postlingal kids are really into being Deaf. Definitly see what's out there. Maybe you could go to a camp or something. (the NTID one is supposed to be AWESOME) You might be very surprised. Maybe you could meet other dhh kids. It really is too bad there's not something specific for postlingal kids. Postlingal kids still make up 5% of the pediatric dhh population. And maybe try to get to know the other deaf kids better.

Really? At least you have other deaf kids at your school. Is your school one of the ones with a formal dhh program? It's possible you feel the way you do b/c you went deaf at seven. And that's understandable. Some postlingal kids are really into being Deaf. Definitly see what's out there. Maybe you could go to a camp or something. (the NTID one is supposed to be AWESOME) You might be very surprised. Maybe you could meet other dhh kids. It really is too bad there's not something specific for postlingal kids. Postlingal kids still make up 5% of the pediatric dhh population. And maybe try to get to know the other deaf kids better.

camps?

im not sure im into being deaf. i don't act deaf, i just know sign language and can not hear. i'm not "wired" for being deaf, i just technically am, and since
Postlingal kids still make up 5% of the pediatric dhh population
there aren't many people who much like me..

my best friends were some guys and girls who knew sign language very well
who are in an institution children's home place thats in a different state where there were some deaf kid, so they had to know sign language

camps?

im not sure im into being deaf. i don't act deaf, i just know sign language and can not hear. i'm not "wired" for being deaf, i just technically am, and since there aren't many people who much like me..

my best friends were some guys and girls who knew sign language very well
who are in an institution children's home place thats in a different state where there were some deaf kid, so they had to know sign language
You dont have to be into being deaf. Other kids who are deaf are just like any other kid. They want to feel like they belong somewhere and want to have friends.

camps?

im not sure im into being deaf. i don't act deaf, i just know sign language and can not hear. i'm not "wired" for being deaf, i just technically am, and since
Yes, see the link for dhh camps I posted. You might want to look at the NTID camp. NTID is great for oral and hoh kids, and sometimes postlingal kids go there. NTID is part of RIT, which means it's got the advantage of a hearing university, but it's easy to take advantage of dhh services if you need them.
And yes, it's totally understandable. Totally. I know people who were deaf since they were three but they don't feel any connection to Deaf culture. I think you're more "ex hearing" rather then deaf, if that makes any sense. Are there any kids with other disabilties at your school? I've found that other kids who are "different" can make great friends. (ie learning disabled kids, GLB kids or any kid who is "different" from the "mainstream)

Yes, see the link for dhh camps I posted. You might want to look at the NTID camp. NTID is great for oral and hoh kids, and sometimes postlingal kids go there. NTID is part of RIT, which means it's got the advantage of a hearing university, but it's easy to take advantage of dhh services if you need them.
And yes, it's totally understandable. Totally. I know people who were deaf since they were three but they don't feel any connection to Deaf culture. I think you're more "ex hearing" rather then deaf, if that makes any sense. Are there any kids with other disabilties at your school? I've found that other kids who are "different" can make great friends. (ie learning disabled kids, GLB kids or any kid who is "different" from the "mainstream)

will look into those camps.

those kids are pretty much isolated,
im pretty much going to look weird if i hang out with them, summer is here now

You know The Block at Orange? Over past disneyland down the 5 south?

Not sure if you can drive yet, but every second friday of the month there's a huge deaf meetup there in front of the starbucks. Usually there's hundreds of people there.
Not all are legal deaf, some are HoH or ASL terps.

Otherwise just hit up facebook for local dphhs.
Not sure if there's any in alhambra area - mostly asianized no? I think there might be one in Pasadena but don't take my word for it. Otherwise it's just Riverside and OC DPHH's. You can find them on facebook.

those kids are pretty much isolated,
im pretty much going to look weird if i hang out with them, summer is here now
I do kinda know what you mean. Some of the more affected special needs kids can be a bit "off kilter" I wasn't suggesting that you hang out with the intellectucally disabled kids or other kids who can be kind of off kilter.
But kids who are mildly LD/ADD can be awesome friends, same with gay and lesbian kids or anyone who doesn't really feel like they fit in.

I do kinda know what you mean. Some of the more affected special needs kids can be a bit "off kilter" I wasn't suggesting that you hang out with the intellectucally disabled kids or other kids who can be kind of off kilter.
But kids who are mildly LD/ADD can be awesome friends, same with gay and lesbian kids or anyone who doesn't really feel like they fit in.

ADD/ADHD ? i think thats me.....
gay/ lesbian kids are accepted here totally accepted here

You know The Block at Orange? Over past disneyland down the 5 south?

no i dont know, i will google it

Not sure if you can drive yet, but every second friday of the month there's a huge deaf meetup there in front of the starbucks. Usually there's hundreds of people there.
Not all are legal deaf, some are HoH or ASL terps.
they had one in porter ranch as well, i just dont know anyone there anymore. and its far
have m1 permit, legally cant drive on freeways/night but i dont care

Otherwise just hit up facebook for local dphhs.
Not sure if there's any in alhambra area - mostly asianized no?
no idea, no deaf Asians here, but lots in general
I think there might be one in Pasadena but don't take my word for it. Otherwise it's just Riverside and OC DPHH's. You can find them on facebook.
facebook link?
deaf professional happy hour?

Back