Hey Hey

Dougus

Reaction score
Hey...my name in Doug...Nickname is Dougus... I am new to deafness. I was told I am profoundly deaf in both ears. This was confirmed 03/06/2007. They (the otolaryngology doc's) think the deafness is a result of a virus in combination with encephalopathy. I am not sure what the next step is... I'm a bit out of my mind as this is all so shocking and new. I fully expected my loss of hearing to return and my life go back to "normal", but my version of "normal" has changed and I now have some learning to do... I suppose I've been looking for a format (& maybe I have found it) where I can be helped and then pass the knowledge along when I am in the position to be the helper...

Any suggestions on what comes next? Anyone else filled with the fear of this unknown chaos that is beginning to consume my life?

:welcome: to this forum.

I don't know if your deafness is temporary or permanent but ,in most cases, it's permanent. If it is permanent then ,in the first time, you may consider getting hearing aids.. if hearing aids don't work then you may be a candidate for cochlear implants..

Additionally,you may want to learn ASL,American Sign Language. That would help you if you wish to enjoy Deaf culture.

Last edited:
Thank you Highlands...

Yes the loss it is perm... I guess the Dr. wants to do something similar to an EEG & test a nerve I believe...in any event I have to take a valium before the test but I'm not sure why. I need and want to take classes to learn ASL as I would like to embrace and become part of this new community, not just get by with mechanical aids. Thanks for my FIRST reply!:dance:

Yes the loss it is perm... I guess the Dr. wants to do something similar to an EEG & test a nerve I believe...in any event I have to take a valium before the test but I'm not sure why. I need and want to take classes to learn ASL as I would like to embrace and become part of this new community, not just get by with mechanical aids. Thanks for my FIRST reply!:dance:

you are welcome.. I am hard of hearing / late deafened and have profound loss in both ears and I wear digital hearing aids.. deafness is an exciting world.. you will discover lots of wonders,new ways of life..it will extend quality of your emotional life.. You may be in an identity crisis now... but over time, you will build a new life.

Good luck :hug:

Hello and :welcome: to AD and to deaf culture! Any questions about deafness or anything, u can ask here. There are so many people here with so many different experiences with deafness. I was born profoundly deaf, grew up oral and finally learned ASL at the age of 28. For me, learning ASL was a great life-changing event. :)

I wish I can say I understand your feelings of shock and everything but I cant cuz I have been deaf since birth but it seems that u are open minded about your options.

Thanks shel90

Thank you for the vote of confidence... I am trying to stay positive...the only people that I will hurt having a neg. attitude are the people closest to me that want to help... The way I will find my way out of the confusion and chaos is thru the support of family, friends, doctors and people like y'all in the know!

Hello,

Welcome to Alldeaf and enjoy your stay here :)....

:welcome: to Alldeaf! Have fun browsing and posting! :)

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Hope you'll be able to pull through it all with little problems along the way and that you'll feel good and comfortable here in AD...therefore, hope you'll enjoy your stay! ;)

Have a great day! :wave:

~RR

Back