Hey guys

shaney-dm

Reaction score
New here and not sure what exactly its all about [emoji12]

I have always been HOH but just 3 weeks ago I lost my hearing on both sides, the reason is still unknown.
Its a huge adjustment as I've come to realise the little hearing I did have, meant much more to me than I thought.

Obviously there is hope of my hearing making a return but as the days pass, so does my hope.

Anyway, I'm in the UK ... Nice to meet you all [emoji3]

New here and not sure what exactly its all about [emoji12]

I have always been HOH but just 3 weeks ago I lost my hearing on both sides, the reason is still unknown.
Its a huge adjustment as I've come to realise the little hearing I did have, meant much more to me than I thought.

Obviously there is hope of my hearing making a return but as the days pass, so does my hope.

Anyway, I'm in the UK ... Nice to meet you all [emoji3]

HOH as in audilogically or functionally? Were you lucky enough to attend Deaf School? I know that it's even harder to get into a Deaf school in the UK then it is in the States......but yeah if you're HOH and lose your hearing, and haven't been prepared for that, it's very hard. I know some HOH people who lost their residual hearing ...they didn't mind losing their hearing but they wish they'd been equipted to handle all possibilites, instead of just hearing/speech/typical minimal HOH accomondations.

Hi

No I went to a typical high school, my hearing wasn't actually picked up until I was around 6 and my speach is what gave it away, it was terrible.

Obviously with a speach therapist etc I managed to correct that, although some days I feel I cannot control my tongue to correctly pronounce words I need to use.
I think the most frustrating part(s) so far is that people around me assume its not really a big deal as I never had full hearing anyway ... This is something I'm getting very angry about on a daily basis.
I'm not looking for attention as I hate a fuss being made over me ... But not one person, even family have bothered to ask how I am, am I coping OK?
They seem to be asking my partner how she is, its such a big adjustment for her etc ...

Obviously it affects her in a big way too, but it frustrates me that everyone thinks this is just normal for me, nothing new.
This wasn't supposed to be a rant lol sorry, but is it normal to be getting so tired all the time?
I'm having to lip read more now, I always needed to but I don't think I ever realises just how much I used both sound and lip reading to get by ... Now its purely just lip reading and mid conversation I'm so drained, just want to sit in a room alone and recharge every so often.

Hi

No I went to a typical high school, my hearing wasn't actually picked up until I was around 6 and my speach is what gave it away, it was terrible.

Obviously with a speach therapist etc I managed to correct that, although some days I feel I cannot control my tongue to correctly pronounce words I need to use.
I think the most frustrating part(s) so far is that people around me assume its not really a big deal as I never had full hearing anyway ... This is something I'm getting very angry about on a daily basis.
I'm not looking for attention as I hate a fuss being made over me ... But not one person, even family have bothered to ask how I am, am I coping OK?
They seem to be asking my partner how she is, its such a big adjustment for her etc ...

Obviously it affects her in a big way too, but it frustrates me that everyone thinks this is just normal for me, nothing new.
This wasn't supposed to be a rant lol sorry, but is it normal to be getting so tired all the time?
I'm having to lip read more now, I always needed to but I don't think I ever realises just how much I used both sound and lip reading to get by ... Now its purely just lip reading and mid conversation I'm so drained, just want to sit in a room alone and recharge every so often.
High school? I thought you guys had secondary school/Sixth Forms, not high school in the UK..... But yeah, it's hard to cope with progressive loss, when you've not got a lot of intense intervention.

I'm from wales in the UK, I think england do say secondary or even top school ... Welsh just say high school

Hi

I completely understand.

I lost most my hearing in my left ear when I was 7. A few weeks ago the doctor told me it's only going to get worse. I'm eventually going to be completely deaf.
I'm raising a new born girl Pretty much alone. My parents don't understand why I freak out sometimes. I can't hear her crying half the time. Nobody asks if I'm okay. Need help.

I've never even met another deaf or hoh person in my life.

I completely understand.

I lost most my hearing in my left ear when I was 7. A few weeks ago the doctor told me it's only going to get worse. I'm eventually going to be completely deaf.
I'm raising a new born girl Pretty much alone. My parents don't understand why I freak out sometimes. I can't hear her crying half the time. Nobody asks if I'm okay. Need help.

I've never even met another deaf or hoh person in my life.
Ah my little girl is 1 now, I struggle when I'm alone with her.
You can't keep them with you constantly as you've got to put them down to make food and just do general tasks around the home ... I'm on edge as I'll move from the lounge to the kitchen to do a simple task but I start running between rooms to check she's not upset, even though she is safe strapped into her walker I still check her every 15 seconds.

So a simple 2 minute task becomes a 10 minute job

Where about are you on this crazy planet?

Ah my little girl is 1 now, I struggle when I'm alone with her.
You can't keep them with you constantly as you've got to put them down to make food and just do general tasks around the home ... I'm on edge as I'll move from the lounge to the kitchen to do a simple task but I start running between rooms to check she's not upset, even though she is safe strapped into her walker I still check her every 15 seconds.

So a simple 2 minute task becomes a 10 minute job

Where about are you on this crazy planet?

I'm in Dallas Texas.

And yea. I'm scared to get in the shower in fear somethi g will happen and I won't be able to hear it.

Sent from my LG-H631 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back