Hey from the Half Deaf kid!

marcopollo

Reaction score
I'm 16, and ive been half deaf since birth. I am new to ASL, but I'm getting very good at it. I only have one question: are we who have Single Sided Deafness included in the deaf community?:wave::aw:

Does this affect your balance at all being half deaf? I can no longer wear a HA in my right ear so I guess that would made me half hoh and half deaf.

Im a little off balance, at times. But usually I am good.

I think my balance is off more now that I am only wearing one HA. My audi told if I do not wear HA in my right ear I will lose more hearing in it. I tried to wear it yesterday and it was just too painful , my ear is too messed up to get the earmold in .

So you're HOH with a deaf ear? Of course you're included!!! HOH=Deaf too! People think that Deaf= profound unaided,unimplanted with no speech skills.....but the spectrum of Deaf is HUGE! There are lots of HOH folks who identify as Deaf too! Glad you like ASL.....maybe you could go to Deaf camp next summer or even spend a semester or two at a deaf school/dhh program....

I never realized that the community was so diverse. And I am definitely planning to go to a deaf camp. It would really improve my ASL abilities. I have no teacher, but I use a dictionary and I am getting good at it.

I never realized that the community was so diverse. And I am definitely planning to go to a deaf camp. It would really improve my ASL abilities. I have no teacher, but I use a dictionary and I am getting good at it.

People have told that I can hear good and I will tell them " No, my HA is helping me hearing and that I am almost deaf without them. I am finding that more hearing people are learning some ASL b/c they work with the public. College students that have jobs at grocery stores used ASL when I check out .I was talking to one college she knew right away I was HOH and that I did not have a foreign accent. She was trying to see if I wore a HA . So I think it's really great you're learning ASL . I did not have this growing up in the 50's .

I just want to communicate with EVERYONE, hearing or not. It is important that I learn, because one day I may lose hearing in my other ear. But are there any like...deaf-centered resturaunts or stores?

Restaurant in Canada :"Signs"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Half deaf. There is a term I never considered using before half deaf myself. I like it. Going to use it. I'm deaf in my right ear and hoh in my left in severe range. Maybe I'm more three quarters deaf but half works.

I just want to communicate with EVERYONE, hearing or not. It is important that I learn, because one day I may lose hearing in my other ear. But are there any like...deaf-centered resturaunts or stores?

http://www.wyndhamhotelgroup.com/tr...proficient-in-sign-language-in-south-carolina

I found this web site .

I know what you mean about wanting to learn ASL b/c you could lose more hearing. I thought about this too but it would be of no use in my family b/c I would not anyone to use it with.

Woohoo!!!! And just so you know if you wanted to, you could attend Deaf School or a dhh program....They welcome beginning Signers..In fact there are usually oral kids learning ASL for the first time....there are sometimes even sucessful oralists who attend b/c mainstream high school is so bad!..South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind / Overview and Model Secondary School for the Deaf It might not be for you...but at the same time, it might really help you as well! There are usually some strongly academic kids

http://www.wyndhamhotelgroup.com/tr...proficient-in-sign-language-in-south-carolina

I found this web site .

I know what you mean about wanting to learn ASL b/c you could lose more hearing. I thought about this too but it would be of no use in my family b/c I would not anyone to use it with.

Well it was my mother who originally got me into signing, but shes lost the time for it with work and all, so I decided to pick it up and I love it. It is my life. So I recommend just getting a friend or a family member to learn, just to reinforce and have a good time.

Woohoo!!!! And just so you know if you wanted to, you could attend Deaf School or a dhh program....They welcome beginning Signers..In fact there are usually oral kids learning ASL for the first time....there are sometimes even sucessful oralists who attend b/c mainstream high school is so bad!..South Carolina School for the Deaf and the Blind / Overview and Model Secondary School for the Deaf It might not be for you...but at the same time, it might really help you as well! There are usually some strongly academic kids

I'd love to go to a deaf school, but I would just feel out of place...like I don't belong. I am going to be a junior this year, and I suppose it's a little too late for me to attend a deaf or hoh school.

I'd love to go to a deaf school, but I would just feel out of place...like I don't belong. I am going to be a junior this year, and I suppose it's a little too late for me to attend a deaf or hoh school.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. If you are one sided being deaf or hard of hearing but can hear good with the other ear. Did you go into the mainstream school with part time special education classroom (Home room) and attended hearing classes with ASL interpreters and/or notetakers? If you can manage to do well in the hearing classrooms, then you are fine, I think. I have never known to have some one sided deaf or hard of hearing. Very interesting. I had read comments around the Forum about that.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting here. See you around here on Forum. :wave:

Do you think you're "too hearing?" Don't...that's a common mistake. Deaf schools and dhh programs serve the spectrum of dhh kids from profound unaided/unimplanted to mild loss and everything in between. The only population they don't actively court is unilateral loss.My HOH friend Sidney totally fell for that thinking.....then she transferred to a deaf school ...she fit right in! There's usually a spectrum of kids,(Sign, speak, both etc) as well as oral kids learning ASL for the first time, at most sizable schools I would look into it, just to make sure that you're not missing something that could really help you!...Maybe you could visit the school and check it out...I do know that some schools offer trial periods...I believe that you can attend the school/program for a semester, so you wouldn't have to committ yourself for a full year. Also, getting in touch with the school, would help you with services, evaltutions on how you're doing etc....they have an outreach department which tends to be decent.
You might also be able to do Academic Bowl......Just throwing that out there....Oh and one good thing about SCSDB is that it has a program specificly for intellectucally disabled kids...that way the curriculum isn't watered down...it also seems to be a sizable school......I'd see about the outreach services, and of course check it out, as it might be a good fit for you!

If one really, really wants to learn ASL, there's no better way to do it than to attend a school for the deaf the last two years of High School. You'd be a native signer before you graduate. This is a rare and perfect opportunity that should be taken advantage of compared to how most people acquire ASL.

Back