Hey from Australia

Kurenai

Reaction score
:wave: Hey all! My name's Jason

I found a discussion thread on cochlear implants and it prompted me to sign up asap once I realized, '...oh, I can make an account here.' :lol:

I'm hard of hearing - have been ever since I was born premature. The doctors were unsure whether my hearing loss was congenital or from the drugs they pumped into me to keep me alive. I spent the next two years not saying a word, it got my parents concerned, so next thing I know, I was equipped with hearing aids and went to regular speech-therapy sessions to learn how to talk.

Over the years, I have struggled with conversations, especially in noisy situations. As a result, I find I'm more comfortable with one-on-one or talking with two people easier in a quiet setting than say, 6+ people talking in a group at a bar/club/nightclub. I also cannot hear anybody talking behind me which terrifies me - I have to constantly look over my shoulder just in case nobody is sneaking up behind me or might try to mug me :(

I have never adjusted to answering phones - mainly due to whenever I use them, I always hear the background static noise blaring over the person's actual voice which makes it impossible to hear or make out what they're saying.

I have used speaker phones here and there but I'm still not quite 100% confident in using them. Today, I was able to talk to a lady about a job interview tomorrow, I only missed what she said twice but I managed to pick myself up very well. I concentrated very very hard, even though I was missing words she was saying, I could catch some words, enough to be able to string together the sentence she was telling me.

At the end of that phone call, I was emotionally and mentally exhausted.

My hearing loss is considered moderate-to-severe. Based on this, I may not eligible for cochlear implants because my hearing loss is not considered severe-to-profound.

Was anyone with high frequency sensorineural moderate-to-severe hearing loss able to get cochlear implants?

I do have some residual hearing but I cannot hear speech with it. Without my hearing aids, all I can hear is thunderstorms, airplanes going over the roof of the house, loud door slams, motorbikes or cars doing wheelies. Hearing speech is impossible. I cannot hear if someone is speaking and I only get unintelligible sounds if someone (especially a male) is shouting.

I am finding myself depressed about the thought that I may not be eligible for cochlear implants but I'm booking an appointment next week to talk to someone about if I am a suitable for one.

I hope that wasn't too long but I'm glad to be here. I have already related to several people (dealing with tinnitus after taking hearing aids out and having feedback when trying to use the phone) and I feel like I belong which is amazing.

Nice to meet ya! I hope to see you all around :P

Hi Jason, WELCOME!!! I went totally deaf overnight two years ago. Went to bed, woke up very ill and deaf. I have brutal tinnitus. It is NEVER quiet for me. In fact I am still awake because the tinnitus is so loud. I get all kinds of weird sounds, unknown music, beeping, firecrackers, car alarm, air compressor, plus a lot more. Drives me crazy, especially since it prevents a good night sleep.

I have one Cochlear Implant, hearing aids were not an option for me. I can not use the phone, hear tv, listen to music, follow a conversation with more then a few people. Definitely can not hear in a loud environment. There are other CI users here who have had a wonderful experience. It was the right choice for me, no regrets at all. I do have other health issues which more then likely make my CI not work as well as it could. I am working on it though.

I do get depressed at times but life has not stopped. One day at a time.

Glad you joined, hope you enjoy.

Hi Jason, WELCOME!!! I went totally deaf overnight two years ago. Went to bed, woke up very ill and deaf..

Thank you for the welcome :lol:! And yikes, that sounds terrible! But I'm glad you are OK!

I have brutal tinnitus. It is NEVER quiet for me. In fact I am still awake because the tinnitus is so loud. I get all kinds of weird sounds, unknown music, beeping, firecrackers, car alarm, air compressor, plus a lot more. Drives me crazy, especially since it prevents a good night sleep.

That's awful, I only get the incessant high-pitched ringing sound. For some odd reason, it only starts up when I actually think about it :shock: Dunno how that works!

I have one Cochlear Implant, hearing aids were not an option for me. I can not use the phone, hear tv, listen to music, follow a conversation with more then a few people. Definitely can not hear in a loud environment. There are other CI users here who have had a wonderful experience.

If it's OK to ask, are you deaf in both ears? How has the Cochlear implant helped - has it made it easier to use the phone, hear tv, listen to music and follow a conversation with more than a few people? And hear in a loud environment?

The possibility of being able to use the phone, the tv and follow a conversation (for once!!) and be able to hear in a loud environment would...gosh, just be a dream come true.

I'm tired of being depressed and riddled with anxiety or helplessness of being incapable of using a phone, missing out on important dialogue during my fav tv shows, or missing out on watching awesome fun movies on tv with Dad because the tv didn't display CC for that particular movie. Even in the cinemas, it's hard to hear their voices and the speakers are all around the room!

It was the right choice for me, no regrets at all.

This is what's pushing me to research more on cochlear implants... the more I hear about the positive experiences, the more it outweighs the risks and negatives. I'm going to make an appointment to see someone about whether I can be eligible for it. I'm trying not to get too excited :laugh2:

:welcome:

CIs work very well for some people and for others they don't work at all.

I believe Angel1989 is still unable to use phone etc etc but for others it will allow them to use a phone and all sorts. I have 2 friends who still serious struggle with their CI and is unable to use a phone or even hear people without lipreading.

CIs are not a all magic cure on getting your hearing back. It will work for some and won't work for others.

You haven't said what hearing aids you are using. It might all be down to what hearing aids you are using, it may not just be your hearing.

I think maybe you are expecting too much for both hearing aids and cochlear implants.

Hi Jason, yes I am totally deaf in both ears. My CI helps me with lipreading. All the things I listed that I can not hear is with my CI. Many CI users can not use a phone, some can. Music is just noise for me, same as the tv. I still need CC for television.

There are people on this site who have had much better results then I have. But, if your thinking a CI will make your hearing normal I think you should be very aware that it may not. Most of us have a difficult time in noisy situations. By the end of the day my brain is totally burned out from all the concentration it takes to lipread. I have this brutal tinnitus 24/7. It's 3:45am and I still can't sleep due to it.

Due to the tinnitus I have I have not been able to proceed with the mappings needed to advance in what I hear with my CI. Like I stated I have a lot,of other health issues. Noise is painful to me.

I am very certain that you will get a lot of replies from other CI users. Good luck!!!

CIs are not a all magic cure on getting your hearing back. It will work for some and won't work for others.

You haven't said what hearing aids you are using. It might all be down to what hearing aids you are using, it may not just be your hearing.

Thanks for the welcome :)

:lol: I'm well aware there's no magic cure for hearing loss but I'm fascinated with the possibilities CIs can give where hearing aids cannot perform. For example, I read that hearing aids can miss out on catching high frequencies and cochlear implants can help with this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Many people with residual low frequency hearing may get little high frequency information from hearing aids and may well be considered for a cochlear implant."

This is quoted from one of my local cochlear implant clinic online FAQ. I hope it helps what I'm trying to explain :P I'm still adjusting to using the lingo and such!

My hearing aids are Siemens Motion 300 P. Oh! I wear them in both ears :D

I think maybe you are expecting too much for both hearing aids and cochlear implants.

Angel1989 said:
But, if your thinking a CI will make your hearing normal I think you should be very aware that it may not.

Trust me, I'm well aware that there is no magic cure-it-all fix for hearing loss :laugh2: If I gave that impression somehow, I apologize. At this point in time, I'm not saying I think hearing aids are completely useless, I know they have helped many people on the AllDeaf forums, I just don't feel they are working well for me.

I understand my hearing loss will never return - I have accepted that fact long ago. However, as of now, I'm depressed because even with hearing aids, I am still struggling to make sense of what people are saying - even when I try hard to listen. I miss consonants in words, sentences blur together into a garbled sound. Don't get me wrong, I can hear through the hearing aids, just not clearly.

Is it frowned upon to hope that cochlear implants can help me hear more clearly? I would be willing to practice hearing through the implants and putting my utmost effort into relearning how to hear again because at this point, I have nothing to lose. Anything I get with the CI, I believe it will be better (even if it's just a little) than what I have now with hearing aids.

I hope this doesn't offend you or anybody else. I know CIs will not work for everyone, that it comes down to the individual, I know the path will be long and difficult to relearn how to hear again, the end result may be what I envisioned but I am willing to accept that and at least, try.

:lol: I'm well aware there's no magic cure for hearing loss but I'm fascinated with the possibilities CIs can give where hearing aids cannot perform. For example, I read that hearing aids can miss out on catching high frequencies and cochlear implants can help with this. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Phonak Naidas and I believe there are other brands that use various forms to allow high frequencies to become audible by compressing or moving high frequencies in to low freqeuncies.

Phonak Naidas use the compression by squeezing the high frequencies in to low frequencies. It's called Sound Recover. (I wear the Phonak Naidas) Sound Recover might be on all Phonak HAs but not 100% sure. If you are only getting low frequencies then you need to look in to something like the Phonak Naidas.

"Many people with residual low frequency hearing may get little high frequency information from hearing aids and may well be considered for a cochlear implant." This is quoted from one of my local cochlear implant clinic online FAQ.

A lot of CI centres won't accept people if they haven't tried the Naidas. They are considered the last hearing aids to try before you get considered for a cochlear implant. Someone on this forum went to see if they could get a CI and the CI centre said no, you need more powerful hearing aids with them recommending the Phonak Naidas. Obvs everyone is different!

My hearing aids are Siemens Motion 300 P.

Siemens Motion 300 hearing aids are basic and don't have good noise control. If you struggle in noise, you need to look in to what hearing aids have better noise control.

Trust me, I'm well aware that there is no magic cure-it-all fix for hearing loss :laugh2: If I gave that impression somehow, I apologize. At this point in time, I'm not saying I think hearing aids are completely useless, I know they have helped many people on the AllDeaf forums, I just don't feel they are working well for me.

I understand my hearing loss will never return - I have accepted that fact long ago. However, as of now, I'm depressed because even with hearing aids, I am still struggling to make sense of what people are saying - even when I try hard to listen. I miss consonants in words, sentences blur together into a garbled sound. Don't get me wrong, I can hear through the hearing aids, just not clearly.

Is it frowned upon to hope that cochlear implants can help me hear more clearly? I would be willing to practice hearing through the implants and putting my utmost effort into relearning how to hear again because at this point, I have nothing to lose. Anything I get with the CI, I believe it will be better (even if it's just a little) than what I have now with hearing aids.

I hope this doesn't offend you or anybody else. I know CIs will not work for everyone, that it comes down to the individual, I know the path will be long and difficult to relearn how to hear again, the end result may be what I envisioned but I am willing to accept that and at least, try.

:)

Hi Jason,

Its a bit late I know, but welcome aboard! I'm in Perth as well - there's a few more locals here also.
It's worth making the appointment about the CI I reckon, got nothing to lose :)

Phonak Naidas and I believe there are other brands that use various forms to allow high frequencies to become audible by compressing or moving high frequencies in to low freqeuncies.

Phonak Naidas use the compression by squeezing the high frequencies in to low frequencies. It's called Sound Recover. (I wear the Phonak Naidas) Sound Recover might be on all Phonak HAs but not 100% sure. If you are only getting low frequencies then you need to look in to something like the Phonak Naidas.

Ahh okay, I have checked the Australian Hearing centre website and it appears they don't carry Phonak Naidas, but they do carry Siemens Pure which boasts extraordinary power inside a small hearing aid, one that can cater to severe loss. Nonetheless I will research the Phonak Naidas more. :) Thanks!

Whiskeyonesix - It's never too late to say hi :P Small world!

Thank you :) I will definitely contact a cochlear implant clinic, perhaps through the Australian Hearing. :laugh2:

Ahh okay, I have checked the Australian Hearing centre website and it appears they don't carry Phonak Naidas, but they do carry Siemens Pure which boasts extraordinary power inside a small hearing aid, one that can cater to severe loss. Nonetheless I will research the Phonak Naidas more. :) Thanks!

Whiskeyonesix - It's never too late to say hi :P Small world!

Thank you :) I will definitely contact a cochlear implant clinic, perhaps through the Australian Hearing. :laugh2:

There is a guy/girl on here from Oz who has the Phonak Naidas so I would say they can be get if you do decide to go that route. I'll try look up his name so you can look at his threads.

EDIT: This is the guy/girl (not sure from name whether its a guy or girl) who lives in Australia who has the Naidas http://www.alldeaf.com/members/ausrider.html

NaidaUP - Oh okay, I already spoke to my mum about upgrading my hearing aids and mentioned the Phonak Naidas, of course I will go that route :lol:! I would like to exhaust any better options before resorting to cochlear implants.

Is it funny that I only just noticed you have Naida in your username? :rofl:

Hello dogmom! :wave:

g'day Jason, JClarke here from Canberra, Australia - a well known AD'er here.
Welcome!
I also am a recently cochlear implant user too :)

Back