Hey from a Newbie!

Ildri

Reaction score
Hey everyone :wave:,
I just wanted to introduce myself-
Call me Ildri :P I'm 24 and a grad student. I'm losing my hearing; a recent discovery, actually. I didn't even realize I had hearing problems (just thought people mumbled a lot...) until about a year ago, when I got my hearing tested and was told about the loss. I've now had a yearly re-check, and they found that my hearing is going a lot faster than they expected. No idea why. Anyway, now they're talking to me about hearing aids and ASL... it's a bit to take in, and I'd love to have some people to talk to about it. My knowledge of this world is currently pretty lacking!
Looking forward to getting to know you all :D
Hope you're all having a great one!
Ildri

I didn't notice my hearing was going down til I was 16 .. At first it was a bit of a bummer but my advice is not to delay getting hearing aids if you need them. Also don't go to a hearinf aid dispenser go to an audiologist and don't commit to a set right off the bat..research first and trial them:) also in 5 years I've gone through 3 sets of hearing aids due to a progressive loss so make sure you get hearing aids that have room for more amplification if need be..also maybe get checked by an ENT to see what thr cause of your loss is...hope that helps a bit..:)
And welcome to AD

Thanks for the welcomes and information! I'm going to the audiologist Friday to check out hearing aids, and really don't know what to expect. I appreciate the advice!

welcome to Alldeaf!
just a little tip that would be helpful, you can also find the right hearing aid that is strong enough for your loss
I've recently switched to Oticon Safaris since I'm at a severe loss right now lol.
but there's several brands you can try.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I didn't even realize I had hearing problems (just thought people mumbled a lot...)

yep , same here,

Welcome!!!!! I think it's great that you're interested in ASL! We do have a bunch of late deafies who've learned ASL and who are VERY into Deaf culture. It's not just dhh from birth/young age who are here.

Hi, my name is AllyKat. Welcome to AD! i went deaf when i was 14 and i think that you should try to incorpurate yourself into Deaf culture from the start. People there will understand what your going through and its good to have friends with expirience.
best of luck :)

Back