Here it is - Being on SSI can be better than "Normal Life"

As for Section 8 Housing, there is a long waiting list, sometimes over a year. And often times, offered in high-crime neighborhoods. If you turn down an offer for housing, knowing it's high-crime or not a desirable neighborhood, then you'll go back down to the bottom of the waiting list again. Another year of waiting......

A friend of mine is on section 8 right now. His place is in one of the most luxurious neighborhoods in Boulder, Colorado. His condo has code to access the front door, and has a patrol 24/7. He has a really nice two bedroom condo that backs to the swimming pool.
He pays $80 a month. The normal cost for that condo is $2000 a month. He did not wait very long to get the place either. I don't even think it was 3 months.
Theres virtually no ghetto in Boulder as well.
.... just saying that it's possible to get it in a nice area. Just gotta be selective.

Add:
His contribution to the community is helping his family out on whatever. He's always helping someone out. He also host some of the best parties you can find, and often at his place. =D

If I could make over $2,000 a month off from SSI or SSDA, I would quit my job cuz I am tired of all the political BS with oralism vs. ASL and the parents bitching and complaining about our jobs. Sorry..had to vent.

The kids are what keeps me going. My heart is for them. I love them so I seriously doubt I would get myself to quit. I would miss them terribly.

Edit:
I'm going to add this: I see life differently than most people. The way I think is really different than most. I really dislike the idea of going to college, working for a company for 30+ years following the same routine day-in, day-out then retire to "finally be able to do the things I want to do." I'm going to live life like it will end tomorrow, so - I want to have fun. I will spend time with friends, family. I spoil these who are near me. (How many people do you know will take a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label and share it with everyone?)

Just saying.

:werd::werd:

A friend of mine is on section 8 right now. His place is in one of the most luxurious neighborhoods in Boulder, Colorado. His condo has code to access the front door, and has a patrol 24/7. He has a really nice two bedroom condo that backs to the swimming pool.
He pays $80 a month. The normal cost for that condo is $2000 a month. He did not wait very long to get the place either. I don't even think it was 3 months.
Theres virtually no ghetto in Boulder as well.
.... just saying that it's possible to get it in a nice area. Just gotta be selective.

Add:
His contribution to the community is helping his family out on whatever. He's always helping someone out. He also host some of the best parties you can find, and often at his place. =D

I heard about Boulder and how it is a town for the rich. How did he get approved of this?

Edit:
I'm going to add this: I see life differently than most people. The way I think is really different than most. I really dislike the idea of going to college, working for a company for 30+ years following the same routine day-in, day-out then retire to "finally be able to do the things I want to do." I'm going to live life like it will end tomorrow, so - I want to have fun. I will spend time with friends, family. I spoil these who are near me. (How many people do you know will take a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label and share it with everyone?)

Just saying.

Yup, life is short. I wanna have fun too! If I could retire on disability, I'd get more than SSDI....just might do it! :P Thank you for the push. :) I'd rather take a bottle of Jack and share it with everyone.

Interesting question. Why would I need to be proud of it?
I didn't say that you would need to be proud of what you did. I asked if you were proud of what you did. You brag about how you had fun on the taxpayers' dime, so I'm wondering if you were proud of your behavior.

I'm taking a bit of time to think about it at this moment, and I have totally no emotions towards what I did.
So, no guilt?

During this time I also was part of several non-profit organizations doing a lot of work for no pay. I could help the community that I wanted to help, without even needing anything in return. So yes, I was proud of that.
So that's your justification?

I'm the person that does not really care for "moral standards."
So you are amoral?

It's just that I look at it this way: I am paying into the system right now for the times I used it, and the times I'm going to use it in the future. Like the people who want to pursue their dreams - professional athletes, starting up a business, etc.. THESE dreams will pay into the system more in the long run than them working the 8-5 she-bang. So, which is better?
What do you mean by "better?" Morally, ethically, economically, or what?

All in all, I would do it again if I wanted to.
So, no remorse?

I'm going to add this: I see life differently than most people. The way I think is really different than most.
Not really. Your mindset is all too common these days.

posts from hell, are you currently supporting your daughter both emotionally and financially?

I didn't say that you would need to be proud of what you did. I asked if you were proud of what you did. You brag about how you had fun on the taxpayers' dime, so I'm wondering if you were proud of your behavior.

So, no guilt?

So you are amoral?

So, no remorse?

Reba, how about those employers feeling some remorse for finding excuses not to hire qualified deaf people due to discrimination? I know so many deaf people who did everything right by going to college and getting the skills and knowledge to land good jobs only to be turned away by the "phone" excuse. Sometimes, people will forget about being "moral" when it didnt do them anything good in the first place. I know of a teacher who is deaf who wont get hired to work in the public schools so she is working as an aide in one earning barely over $10 an hour and hoping that she will prove it to the administrators that she is more than qualified to be a teacher but it had been 5 years. She finally quit and is now on SSI due to not being able to find anything. 5 years of being passed over teaching jobs because she has no speech skills?

I know so many others who are working at low paying jobs unrelated to their field in which they got their degrees in and still get passed over promotions at their jobs. If it was one or two people then I would think maybe it could be due to other factors but over 50 people? Something is not right.

and plenty of discrimination that they could find a way to make deaf people suffer with their jobs that leads to the common consquences in the difficult situations.

Reba, how about those employers feeling some remorse for finding excuses not to hire qualified deaf people due to discrimination?
They aren't the ones creating this thread or making posts here. I can't very well question them here if they aren't posting here.

I know so many deaf people who did everything right by going to college and getting the skills and knowledge to land good jobs only to be turned away by the "phone" excuse.
Yes, that's a lousy situation.

Sometimes, people will forget about being "moral" when it didnt do them anything good in the first place.
No, people don't "forget" about being moral. They make a choice.

I know of a teacher who is deaf who wont get hired to work in the public schools so she is working as an aide in one earning barely over $10 an hour and hoping that she will prove it to the administrators that she is more than qualified to be a teacher but it had been 5 years. She finally quit and is now on SSI due to not being able to find anything. 5 years of being passed over teaching jobs because she has no speech skills?
I'm very sorry about her situation but that doesn't justify pfh's actions. He's responsible for his own choices.

Maybe if people like pfh didn't take advantage of the "system" so much there would be more money available for those who really need it.

I know so many others who are working at low paying jobs unrelated to their field in which they got their degrees in and still get passed over promotions at their jobs. If it was one or two people then I would think maybe it could be due to other factors but over 50 people? Something is not right.
Do you really believe that the actions of people like pfh make things better for those who want jobs but can't get them?

So, no guilt?

So you are amoral?

So, no remorse?

No guilt at all. No remorse, nothing. Nada. It's not like I went out and stole something.

What I mean by better? I currently put more money into the system than I could have ever if I had an actual 8-5 job. I honestly can say I put more into the system than I would be earning annually if I do 8-5pm. So, in a sense, I am actually helping others much more than I could have in the past.
So in a moral way - its better, in an ethical way - dunno about that, $$ hell yea.

Everyone has a skeleton in the closet - I'm not going to go around and ask them if they were proud of their actions.

My actions were legal, and it does not need any justifications. Anyone can do what I did.

They aren't the ones creating this thread or making posts here. I can't very well question them here if they aren't posting here.

I'm very sorry about her situation but that doesn't justify pfh's actions. He's responsible for his own choices.

Maybe if people like pfh didn't take advantage of the "system" so much there would be more money available for those who really need it.

Do you really believe that the actions of people like pfh make things better for those who want jobs but can't get them?

No, it doesnt but I understand why they do it. The hearing world really does limit many of us, making us get frustrated and feel like just saying "Screw it..I will take advantage of you!" That's my feeling if I get pushed out from Deaf Education due to oralism. I would be tempted to say the same thing. It just seems like no matter what we do right, we dont get what we deserve...equal rights and opportunities.

No, it doesnt but I understand why they do it. The hearing world really does limit many of us, making us get frustrated and feel like just saying "Screw it..I will take advantage of you!" That's my feeling if I get pushed out from Deaf Education due to oralism. I would be tempted to say the same thing. It just seems like no matter what we do right, we dont get what we deserve...equal rights and opportunities.

Funny.. I have actually gotten PM's that basically say "I'm glad you gave it to the government."

SSI isn't going to make things better because you won't have enough to buy a car, buy nice stuff for the house, etc. Staying on SSI is bad for the economy and a waste of taxpayer's money.

SSI isn't going to make things better because you won't have enough to buy a car, buy nice stuff for the house, etc. Staying on SSI is bad for the economy and a waste of taxpayer's money.

Actually, some states do not allow people to buy a car over $5,000. It is really crazy.

I do not think that it wastes our taxpayers. In fact, many big corporations paid huge fines a lot more like five billions dollars penalty annually. That money should have given out to SSI department in order to divide the money to the SSI people and unemployed people INSTEAD OF giving the money to the congress people (and even to the insurance company owners).

The hardest part of the SSI is that people are not "handicapped." That's a big hole in the system. It's very easy for someone to scapegoat on people instead of the government, or it is a blame game. For example, "Don't blame me! I'm just the President."

All this below;
Originally Posted by shel90 View Post
Reba, how about those employers feeling some remorse for finding excuses not to hire qualified deaf people due to discrimination?

Quote:
I know so many deaf people who did everything right by going to college and getting the skills and knowledge to land good jobs only to be turned away by the "phone" excuse.

Quote:
Sometimes, people will forget about being "moral" when it didnt do them anything good in the first place.

Quote:
I know of a teacher who is deaf who wont get hired to work in the public schools so she is working as an aide in one earning barely over $10 an hour and hoping that she will prove it to the administrators that she is more than qualified to be a teacher but it had been 5 years. She finally quit and is now on SSI due to not being able to find anything. 5 years of being passed over teaching jobs because she has no speech skills?

Quote:
Reba is offline Reply With Quote

copied and pasted from fairly recent post since i didnt want to omit the 'questions/answers-quotes/replies format, as it is very useful.
I think it is high time we d/Deaf people as whole, encompassing a broad range of hearing 'disability' to b and together and advocate alot harder at ADA. to GET RID OF PHONE EXCUSES, in other words; Make it Illegal, with what we have no a surplus of educated d/Deaf people as well on top of this, we have wide ranges of accommodation which are EASILY benefitible (if thats a word) from use of excellent range of variations of technology now available cheaply. This argument would make a strong case against hard-right wingers influences on Social policy that grants organisations to use these "phone excuses", or hell even multi-tasking' requirement of the job (just minus the phone bit) it isnt that bloody hard.....

Funny.. I have actually gotten PM's that basically say "I'm glad you gave it to the government."

I wouldnt encourage anyone to choose SSI over working but I can understand why some deaf people get frustrated with the job market and just giving up. We need a more proactive approach to this. I sure wouldnt feel good living off on SSI ..I like to work and making a difference. I am sure many deaf people feel the same too.

I wont judge anyone who chooses to live off on SSI but if someone asked me my opinion, I would say that both sides (deaf and hearing) need to stop this cycle.

I wouldnt encourage anyone to choose SSI over working but I can understand why some deaf people get frustrated with the job market and just giving up. We need a more proactive approach to this. I sure wouldnt feel good living off on SSI ..I like to work and making a difference. I am sure many deaf people feel the same too.

I wont judge anyone who chooses to live off on SSI but if someone asked me my opinion, I would say that both sides (deaf and hearing) need to stop this cycle.

I agree totally. I just wish I could work. Since I am unable to and I have been to vocational rehab as well as other places and was advised by doctor that it wouldn't be good for me with my various problems, therefore I draw SSDI. It doesn't replace what I last made, but it does help. I also do as much advocating that I can for people to get off the system and find work.

Well, I have SSI. But I share a regular apartment with a Hearing person (not on disability). Still, I am REQUIRED to pay HALF of rent and utilities, even though my income is less. My insurance sometimes REFUSES to pay for stuff it should, claiming that I have another policy. (My father carried a HOSPITAL SURICAL ONLY, so that is IRRELEVANT.) My father had to CANCEL the policy, simply because my insurance company was INSISTING that this "other policy" was my "primary." It was never a "comprehensive" [policy in the first place, so I do NOT understand their reasoning. They are glad to pay for all sorts of "mind altering medications" (psychotropics), yet they won't pay for things like hearing aids, occupational therapy, and other things that could IMPROVE the quality of my life. BVR refuses to help me unless I take a "neurocognitive" test battery WITHOUT access to MANUAL COMMUNICATION, even though I wear hearing aids in both ears and have been dx'ed by an ENT as SNHL, as well as on the autistic spectrum by a clinical psychologist. I had been assessed twice before and labelled with various mental disorders, which he finds NO EVIDENCE of. He has told me that some of the tests I was give are inappropriate for Deaf/HH and/or autistics. People seem to think being Deaf would be awful or being autistic would be awful. Well, guess what, being treated as if I were crazy and stupid for 15 plus years and taking psychotropic meds I DID NOT NEED is WORSE. Frankly, I am RELIEVED to be a Deaf Autistic, thank you!

Health insurance is pretty poor on SSI/SSDI. Even though Medicaid is federal dollars, the states control the programs. I know people on SSI who can no longer find a dentist and haven't been for half a dozen years or more.

Back