Here I am again

Hello there :)

Welcome to AllDeaf and do make yourself home here while you surf around. There's tons of informations on this site (controversial or not) that could broaden your horizons and hopefully it will help you be aware of issues in the deaf community, so and on.

I am curious, What prompted you to become interested in Deaf Culture, Deaf Life, Deaf Attitudes, so and on? Is there an interest to you to do this or that?

Again, Welcome Aboard! ;)

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

I am curious, What prompted you to become interested in Deaf Culture, Deaf Life, Deaf Attitudes, so and on? Is there an interest to you to do this or that?

Basically, I strongly believe in doing good and that each person should do good with whatever he/she has been blessed with.

About half a year ago, I came to realise how important my company's communication services were to Deaf people. I discussed things with my colleagues and we decided that we'd give our services away at cost price (i.e. no profit) to Deaf charities and companies working with Deaf people. And so, we got in touch with lots of Deaf charities, but none of them seemed to be interested and that was that.

More recently, I started to think that that approach was not the right one. All companies could use our technology (and other similar technology) to make their services just as accessible to Deaf people as they were to hearing people. We thought again and decided to engage in a Deaf Awareness campaign that provided a set of ongoing solutions to hearing organisations and, rather than charge cost-price, earn the usual profit and donate the profits to Deaf needs.

Obviously, to engage in a Deaf Awareness campaign, we would have to be Deaf Aware and so my journey into Deaf life has begun by joining a long distance course and making Deaf friends.

I must say, though, that what I've learned so far is truly amazing. Up until Nick introduced himself, I never hear of "finger spelling" - I'd only heard the phrase "sign language". I didn't realise that each country had its own sign language and, possibly, its own sign alphabet. I also learned that sign language has its own fonts. I've also learned that there are a lot of Deaf Charity scams which approach AD (lol!). I also guessed that Deaf people must value friendship much more and reporting this all back to my wife, she is also amazed and we're both thoroughly impressed.

In short, my journey into Deaf life is part of corporate social responsibility which I hope & think I'm really going to enjoy as an individual.

My course is going to be here in about 10 days and I'm trying to refrain myself from asking questions that I should learn through the course.

Hopefully, we'll start the campaign's blog soon and I hope you can all play a part in bringing about the big change which I'm trying to achieve.

One thing that always amazes me on here is how close everyone is. I know that for me (and some others on here too) growing up isolated from the Deaf community its a great thing to not only feel welcomed, but appreciated, and to feel like you actually have a place to fit in. I don't hide my Deafness anymore, I am actually very proud of it. I owe a lot of that to this forum and the people in it.

The best friends I've made in the past are the ones with whom I've gone through tough times. We might get seperated for a long time, but when we see each other, the warmth between us can't compare to what I feel with other friends.

From what I've read, life is quite tough for Deaf people and those challenges are something which you must all have in common. So, even though you may not know each other in person, the warmth is there. Then, for those who do know each other in person, the warmth must *really* be there.

I'm just equating things to my own experience, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thinking more about it whilst I was out in the car, being isolated by hearing people probably helps Deaf people value friends even more.

hey there,

I'm jannine, I live in Cornwall, used to live in Norfolk.

I didn't see this post... I'm babbling away answering your questions in the other post...

ekkk... Welcome to the Ad'rs Jungle :laugh2:

I'm from Canada smile...

Thinking more about it whilst I was out in the car, being isolated by hearing people probably helps Deaf people value friends even more.

there's a tons of varieties of where the deaf like to be in ... I like to balance both world... as you mentioned about your friend whom had tough times, we all relate as well.. even I have some hearing friends going through that too... it works both ways... not all (here we go again) sticks with the same kinds... (I get bored, must have varieties to keep life interesting, call me weird if you want ) :laugh2:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you enjoy reading and posting the threads here. Just hope you have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Back