Helping Children With Hearing Impairments To Read

Yes, in the UK DHH children often do not get the reading support between 7- 11 years, or they get a few random interventions here and there. So, by the time they hit secondary education (12-16 years), they are not well equipped in terms of their reading, and as the curriculum becomes more complex they start to lag behind their hearing peers.
Yes. They need to reopen the hearing units (the dhh programs housed at mainstream schools) and or push usage of Deaf Schools. They need a way to screen the kids from the ones who are doing well vs the ones who aren't doing well. Mainstreaming/inclusion for all is very dangerous. We need to utilize SMART inclusion!

Yes. They need to reopen the hearing units (the dhh programs housed at mainstream schools) and or push usage of Deaf Schools. They need a way to screen the kids from the ones who are doing well vs the ones who aren't doing well. Mainstreaming/inclusion for all is very dangerous. We need to utilize SMART inclusion!
I was under the impression those were still going strong in the UK.

I was under the impression those were still going strong in the UK.
Nope. They're shutting them down from what I recall. Which is too bad since those set ups are really good, as they offer dhh specific intense support in a mainstream school.

Back