help

deaf girl

Reaction score
hey guys i been stuck on what i should do about getting the implatn my family say yes deaf say no what should i dont any suggents

hey guys i been stuck on what i should do about getting the implatn my family say yes deaf say no what should i dont any suggents
Are you saying your family wants for you to get [cochlear] implant but you don't want one?

go fo it, if insurance pays for it then all it can do is benefit you. I know someone who has it but she doesnt wear it so if you then decide that it doesnt help you, then don't wear it. i can see both sides of the issue and this is just what i would do. you dont want to decide later that you wish you would have gotten it but by then it is too late because you are too old. plus a mother is always right :giggle:

If your parents want you to have CI implant, and you are saying no. This is your decision that you don't want the CI implant in your brain. Your parents have no right to force you or take control over your life. You just have to say no if you don't want it done. Explain your feelings about it and why you don't want it. Surely, they will understand your decision to say "no". I am curious how old are you? :hmm:

I just happen to look at your profile in the PM and you are 18 years old. You have a right to make the decision on whether you want to have CI implant or not. You are old enough to make that decision. So there. :D

We really can't help without more info on your situation (nearby Deaf community, support, career/higher ed etc.) but at eighteen it's your decision. Don't base it off of what hearies feel though unless you trust that they understand the whole thing though.

If your family is forcing/pressuring you to get a CI, I wouldn't do it. The decision has to be made by you and only you. I don't recommend being implanted unless you're 100% certain that this is what you want. Furthermore, as others have said, you're a legal adult, so you have the right to make that decision yourself.

hey guys think you so much for the advice. you are right i am 18 i wished that made a difference but it dont beucase i live in there house but the dr wont do it untill i sign the relise form and i wont but i am deaf and proud of it i dotn want something in my haed making me hear i mean i was deaf sence i was three and that is all i know i think it be kind of weird to hear bc i am not use to that you know but any way thanks i have to go back and tell my final decision on weither or not i get it and i thank i am going to say no i just hope it right

personally i would not want surgery on my head. dr wants see why i have hearing loss and use aids, told him no, not cutting me up.

Doctors, audiologist, and the medical field view deafness as a disease, a disability, or an illness to overcome. Most of the deaf population (myself, included) view deafness as a culture. I, too, refuse to get a CI and that confuses the hell out of my doctors.

personally i would not want surgery on my head. dr wants see why i have hearing loss and use aids, told him no, not cutting me up.

Science a little more sophisticated now. They would not really need to cut you up to find out why you can't hear.:shock:

You are 18 yrs old and legal age to make your own decision even if you live with your parent's house. I too was living with my mom when I was 18 yrs old but I make my own decision that my mom have to accept it.

Determining the cause of one's hearing loss does not involve "cutting" anything. A CT scan or MRI is performed to identify any possible ossification of the cochlea, cochlear damage, malformed cochlea, etc.

You are 18 yrs old and legal age to make your own decision even if you live with your parent's house.

Unless deaf girl's parents make life extremely difficult for her after getting a CI or worse yet, force her to move out of the house. Anything is possible. Sometimes it isn't that easy to make your own decisions when you are living under your parents' roof.

Deaf girl,

Sorry, the post got long. Hope it helps.

I have not read all your threads to know your history and if you lost your hearing recently, over time or if you have always been deaf/HOH.

Just because you are 18 does not mean you have to make a decission. If your parents really wanted you to have a CI, then they would have made that decission when you were younger when you were not able to make your own decission so that tells me something. Maybe your parents are encouraging you to pursue an understanding of the CI options. It is a big decission. Something you will live with your entire life. You will adapt to it and have to go out of your way to have it.

If you just lost your hearing quickly then yes, it is a different decision. If you are going to school, you may still fall under your parents insurance and if you turn 19, maybe that is the cut off when you will no longer have insurance that might help cover the $30,000-$80,000 cost. They are costly and can cost a lot if the external processor gets lost.

In my case, I wanted a CI and hoped that it would help me hear but I also lost my hearing very quickly and was in my mid 30's and hearing my whole life prior. For me, loosing my hearing was cutting off my ability to communicate in ways I knew and in situations I lived in. Yes, alternate communication methods were possible, sign, pin and paper, reading lips, etc, I just did not have enough time to get use to them other than reading lips before a CI was presented as an option.

In my case, I knew two people who had them and spoke with them in detail about their experience and how they liked and what it was like before I made my decission.

I will tell you that my decission was made during a conversation with a fellow racer when another driver walked up to ask a question and a short conversation pursued. I remember I caught almost nothing of what was being discussed but not only did I not catch anything, I didn't hear much of anything either. She answered the question and heard every word. I will remember this moment my entire life. Topeka Kansas at the Hartland Park Raceway in the vehicle inspection garage, Mid September 2006.

The only time I have ever wondered if the decision was right was right after activation when voices did not sound like they use to with hearing aids. It took about 4 weeks for things to sound right for me. With this being said, the alternative was silence. Well Tinnitus really but no verbal input.

Today, my wife considers me really lucky. I have the ability to shut off the world and turn it back on when I want to. She does try and make fun of me by saying I'm wearing ear rings when I have the coils dangling. May look funny but I'm in control.

I hope you are able to gather the information you need to be able to make the right decision for you.
Steve
Left CI - Jan 2007
Right CI - Jan 2009

STEVEESP52 thank you so much and it helps alot to i have been hoh and deaf sence age 3 so all i really know is deaf and what my hearing aids pick up i still dont know what i am doing my family said if i dotn get ci then it just going to make me living at home harder bc no willing to learn asl or anything so yea but thank for the info add me toyour friends

Back