Help

Signing04

Reaction score
Hello-I am in an Interpreter Training Program in MI. This summer, I am finally taking Deaf Culture/History. As I have been in the program for awhile, you would think this would be easy, but i am having trouble coming up with a GOOD topic for a paper that I need to write. There are the USUAL ideas, like ASL use, technological advances, but i am looking for an idea that is new.
I am thinking along the line of the arts...... but not sure in which direction to take this idea. Any suggestions would be great!!! The paper has to be about anything concerning deaf culture. Happy brainstorming!!!!

Hello--as for your topic, you mentioned 'arts', how about famous Deaf individuals, with 'famous' being universal, nationwide or even local--pointing out their own success and some of the struggles they have had to overcome to get where they're at? You could try and 'google' 'famous' (or successful) Deaf individuals...even those in the film industry, can be called an 'art'. ;)

If you're still stuck or cannot find relating articles to your satisfaction after 'googling' for such information....come back and let AD'ers know and maybe a few of us will be able to come up with something that you surely can use. :)

Good luck!
~RR

Thanks!!

Thanks.....that is the direction that i'm leaning toward. I like the poetry idea as well. I've also thought about Storytelliing in ASL, it's role in the culture and if storytelling is still alive and well in the deaf community. Has the computer replaced some of the older customs? Let me know what y'all think!!

Thanks.....that is the direction that i'm leaning toward. I like the poetry idea as well. I've also thought about Storytelliing in ASL, it's role in the culture and if storytelling is still alive and well in the deaf community. Has the computer replaced some of the older customs? Let me know what y'all think!!

You could look at the influences of Youtube (well, the easy availability of editing and distribution channels) on ASL storytelling.

Deaf Culture Topics

Wow-Lots of great ideas! I have class tonite and have to have my topic ok'd .
Keep your finger crossed that he will ok my topic!! Then it's off to the races to gather info. I'm excited to write this paper.....
Will let y'all know how i make out, tonite.
We are having a guest in the class tonite (deaf) and we will get to pose questions to her concerning deaf culture and her experiences in the deaf community. Whatever we wish to talk about.
Any burning qustions out there that anyone wants to know??? lol
Bubye

Good luck with whatever topic you have chosen...as for questions to ask the 'guest' in your class, here's one: What things or ways you would like to see happening that would greatly help bring better understanding when it comes to communicating between the Deaf and the Hearing? I'm sure there are countless of other 'burning' questions that can be asked-- ;)

Let us know what topic you've chosen for your paper as well.

~RR

Hello--as for your topic, you mentioned 'arts', how about famous Deaf individuals, with 'famous' being universal, nationwide or even local--pointing out their own success and some of the struggles they have had to overcome to get where they're at? You could try and 'google' 'famous' (or successful) Deaf individuals...even those in the film industry, can be called an 'art'. ;)

If you're still stuck or cannot find relating articles to your satisfaction after 'googling' for such information....come back and let AD'ers know and maybe a few of us will be able to come up with something that you surely can use. :)

Good luck!
~RR

Good idea rr. How about Bernard Bragg, one of the founding actors of National Theatre of the Deaf? His autobiography could be used as a reference. Its title is Lessons in Laughter.

The Arts

Hi-I'm excited about my topic and will definately use Bernard Bragg in my paper. Thank you for the great ideas!! I have found alot of info on the web, and so now it's just a matter of getting all of my info in order, and try to figure out how to write a paper in APA style!! I've looked online and they have sites on how to write that style of paper. Wish me luck and anyone with any interesting facts concerning deaf actors and actresses, please, Post away!!!!!

Hi-I'm excited about my topic and will definately use Bernard Bragg in my paper. Thank you for the great ideas!! I have found alot of info on the web, and so now it's just a matter of getting all of my info in order, and try to figure out how to write a paper in APA style!! I've looked online and they have sites on how to write that style of paper. Wish me luck and anyone with any interesting facts concerning deaf actors and actresses, please, Post away!!!!!

Good luck with the APA. I do all of my papers in APA, as I am a grad student working on a Ph.D. in counseling psychology. It's notthat tough once you get used to the citations.

Bernard Bragg is a really interesting person - I was lucky enough to meet him and work with him in 1995.

If you or anyone else is looking for topics to write about still, my personal recommendation would be to look into the student actions at Gallaudet in 1989 and 2006. I remember learning about the former as it was happening when I was a kid, and the latter, I watched unfold as an adult. It was like coming full circle. I was at a talk given by some of the student organizers this past February at American University. It's really fascinating and inspiring.

Bernard Bragg is a really interesting person - I was lucky enough to meet him and work with him in 1995.

If you or anyone else is looking for topics to write about still, my personal recommendation would be to look into the student actions at Gallaudet in 1989 and 2006. I remember learning about the former as it was happening when I was a kid, and the latter, I watched unfold as an adult. It was like coming full circle. I was at a talk given by some of the student organizers this past February at American University. It's really fascinating and inspiring.

Wow! I am jealous! I would have loved to have met Bernard Bragg. His autobiography was fascinating. I read it about a year after my son was diagnosed in my quest to become more familiar with Deaf culture and what it meant to live as a deaf person.

As well, I was the mother of a newly diagnosed deaf child when the Deaf Prez Now protest was going on at Gally, and he was an adult by the time the second protest came around. Amazing events.

Oh how cool!

BB (and that was his name-sign, too) definitely had a very strong personality and presence and a high standard, I was at a summer camp where Hearing and Deaf kids got together and one of the things we did was put on a show, which he directed. We had a lot of fun, and it was serious business at the same time.

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread.... :)

Oh how cool!

BB (and that was his name-sign, too) definitely had a very strong personality and presence and a high standard, I was at a summer camp where Hearing and Deaf kids got together and one of the things we did was put on a show, which he directed. We had a lot of fun, and it was serious business at the same time.

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread.... :)

I'm working with the head of the theatre dept. at the college where I'm employed (and working on my Ph.D.) right now to do a signed reader's theatre production. I mentioned it to him a couple of years ago, and he managed to find some grant money under cross cultural studies. I'm really excited about it. We are using hearing readers on a stool off to the side, with the focus on the deaf signer. Kind of a story telling feel. Okay, I'm done high jacking, too!:giggle:

Heard from Peter Cook

I'm really getting into this paper and i love reading about all of your experiences out there in the theatre world. Also I emailed Peter Cook, and 'Trix Bruce, and posed questions to them such as struggles, obstacles, enjoyment, mentoring....and both were kind enough to respond to my emails and graciously answered my questions!! Very Exciting!! Keep performing!!

Back