Help

Alisteal

Reaction score
OK so after my audiologist apointment I need HAs in BOTH ears. Insurance won't cover a thing! I can't afford them. I need resources if anyone can help. I'm in Indiana and need any resources that can help. Anyone have any ideas about any group or anything that can help?

umm.. i dont understand, my daughter who is hard of haring got both hearing aids havent problem with insurance, what kind of insurance u have, just curious if u dont mind :)

We have blue cross blue sheild. I called them and they said under NO terms would they cover hearing Aids. So I have no idea what to do because I NEED them.

Hey Alisteal, a partial solution......
You could send your daughter to a regional program for deaf and hard of hearing kids, so she could become fluent in ASL. That way she wouldn't have to depend on hearing aids.
VR's a possibilty, also Lion's Clubs and the Starkey Fund too......
Maybe in a few years hearing aids will be covered.....*crosses fingers*

My daughter is in ASL programs the problem is though my daughter is still too young to know Fluent signs and I am pregnant with our second. But I do think I'm out of luck. I've tried to get ahold of a lot of the groups that help. The Lion's Club I can't get ahold of. I am going to try the Starkey Fund. I've printed out the application so I'll be sending that in

Oh good....so you found a lot of the links from Listen-up? That's good!

I am post this message, first...
You said Blue Cross Blue Shield. Is that indiviual plan or group plan? If it is PPO or EPO or HMO?

move to canada
jk
you could ask for some sonpership (sp?) from local business or something like that, I not sure what its like in the state for that kind of thing, so i wish u luck.

You said Blue Cross Blue Shield. Is that indiviual plan or group plan? If it is PPO or EPO or HMO?

It's Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Illinois. We get it through walmart and it's group plan and PPO

move to canada
jk
you could ask for some sonpership (sp?) from local business or something like that, I not sure what its like in the state for that kind of thing, so i wish u luck.
LOL Beleive me as an original Brit I have been RANTING and raving at my husband how if we were in CAnada or BRitain this wouldn't be happening. I didn't think of a sponsership, if everything else falls through I'll look into it

Alisteal said:
It's Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Illinois. We get it through walmart and it's group plan and PPO

LOL Beleive me as an original Brit I have been RANTING and raving at my husband how if we were in CAnada or BRitain this wouldn't be happening. I didn't think of a sponsership, if everything else falls through I'll look into it
since you and i are the same insurance company under walmart and same state and ppo.

many many insurance refuse cover for HA.. however they do cover CI.. but. If possible for you to get insurance under state? if you're making too much i uddy..

There's another ideas...

Lions club in ur hometown,

contact your state vochical rehabilation.. explain you need HA for work.. they only cover things that helps you keep a job or so..

try Somita club (i'm not sure about the spelling) i'm aware they help.

contact your state vochical rehabilation.. explain you need HA for work.. they only cover things that helps you keep a job or so..
lol that won't work because I don't work. I'm a home mom and they don't really count that.

I'm trying to get insured under medicaid (which is what I assume you meant by state insurance?) At first I was told Medicaid would NOT cover hearing aids. But then after reading I found out they WILL cover HAs. Their plan says one hearing aid every 4 years. Unless you are the primary caregiver of a child under 5 adn then they will cover two hearing aids. Well I AM a primary caregiver of a 2 year old and will have a new baby in January. So I definately qualify for that. Hopefully I can get on medicaid though. So praying I can :)

It is so unfair that insurance doesn't cover HA, especially since they are overpriced to begin with. I remember how hard it was for my mom to afford her HA because her insurance didn't cover them, and Medicare didn't cover them.

http://www.isd.k12.in.us/Outreach/ Here's a link that might help you with your daughter. The link's to Indiana School for the Deaf(which has a real physical campus.....still don't know why you don't think it doesn't have a real campus)
Yeah, I know your daughter's in ASL lessons right now, but what I was talking about was, like a preschool especially for dhh kids....She probaly wouldn't go to ISD if you live far away, but the link I just gave, might be able to hook you up with day programs for the dhh....instead of being totally mainstreamed for school......

WE already have help for my daughter. We're int he first steps program and we have speach therapy and asl lessons. I won't be putting her in any kinds of preschool's because we'll be homeschooling our kids. But Thanks much for the link :)

Bad news on the medicaid thing, I don't qualify we make too much. I also don't qualify for any assistance :(

public aid only pay one hearing aid, but VRS might help u with pay BOTH hearing aid. Likewise Steve gave u the website..

hope that will work out.

WE already have help for my daughter. We're int he first steps program and we have speach therapy and asl lessons. I won't be putting her in any kinds of preschool's because we'll be homeschooling our kids.
On the OTHER hand, if you feel like your daughter isn't receiving good services, the School for the Deaf can help you hook up with experianced speech therapists and fluent Signers. Does your daughter already get the services of a Teacher of the Deaf? It's REALLY REALLY important that your daughter gets the proper early intervention from QUALIFIED well trained teachers. Also, if you guys want to become fluent in ASL it's important to have a strong language model to build from. In order to become fluent in a language, you gotta learn it from a native speaker/signer.
That's good that you're planning on homeschooling your kids....that indicates a strong level of parental involvement....However, you might want to reconsider your decision on NOT sending your child to preschool. I'm NOT criticiizing your decision to homeschool.....It's a perfectly legitimate option....but you may want to send your daughter to a deaf school/deaf program at least for half days for her early education. You'll still have time to homeschool her......but if you send her to a deaf school or a deaf program, she'd be getting enrichment beyond what you could offer. It's sort of like....you wouldn't teach a kid Latin while you were learning Latin...it might also help with socialization, and having friends. Remember you don't want her to think she's the only dhh kid in the world...homeschoolers also tend to have trouble with socialization skills. .... Also if she had a half day away from home, it would give you a break and some time alone from therapy, therapy and enrichment every single waking second. (it does seem like some theorists think that every single waking hour HAS to be dedicated to enrichment....but you need some time for yourself too!)Just some friendly advice....You might want to go to the American Society For Deaf Children's website, and join the parent-deafhh list too..... Lemme go look up the info for ya.

Ok I know you are trying to help but it's getting on my nerves a bit, because you are treating me like I'm uneducated on this. I KNOW my daughter and I KNOW our situation. The closest deaf/school program is 1 and 1/2 hours away and I'm not doing that. Also my daughter IS in profession QUALIFIED care. I KNOW more about this part of the system since I've been going through it with her since she was 10 months old. Our ASL instructer is been mostly deaf since BIRTH and is a trained teacher for children under the age of 8.

We're int he first steps program and we have speach therapy and asl lessons.
First Steps is GOVERNMENT assistance for delayed and disabled children. They pay for ANY therapies, any surgeries and any medical equipment needed. Also right now my daughter is 21 months old and not the age for preschool. As I also said before I'm not taking an 1 and 1/2 hour drive to take her to preschool she doesn't NEED nesessarily. We have VERY limited resources here and I have other things I need to worry about then driving 2 hours to get to the school for the deaf in this state which I don't necessarily like how they run things. They have not been helpful at all to us. Which is one reason I'm thankful FOR the First Steps Program.Another thing is PLEASE stop trying to tell me what's best for MY child whom you have never met and that this post isn't EVEN about! I feel like people are sticking their noses in my business because I did not ASK for help with my daughter. We HAVE my daugther getting help and we take CLASSES for ASL with other parents and children.

public aid only pay one hearing aid, but VRS might help u with pay BOTH hearing aid. Likewise Steve gave u the website..

hope that will work out.

From what I've read VRS is for people who are working and I don't have a job. I'm just a home mother

because you are treating me like I'm uneducated on this. I KNOW my daughter and I KNOW our situation. The closest deaf/school program is 1 and 1/2 hours away and I'm not doing that. Also my daughter IS in profession QUALIFIED care. I KNOW more about this part of the system since I've been going through it with her since she was 10 months old. Our ASL instructer is been mostly deaf since BIRTH and is a trained teacher for children under the age of 8.
Hey.....I was just making some suggestions. I wasn't aware that the nearest deaf school was 2 1/2 hours away....that's a legitimate concern, and I can TOTALLY understand. Do you know if you have regional day programs for the deaf in or around your district? I'm talking about the programs where a large amount of dhh kids attend a mainstream school and have a self contained program or attend mainstream classes, but have a dhh resource room. Not nessarily deaf schools per se. I realize you might be in an extremely rural area....I'm just trying to help you hunt down some good resources. That's awesome that your teacher is fluent in ASL and is Deaf....that's wicked good! I was posting under the assumption that you may have not been getting appropreaite services....A lot of times dhh kids just get general EI services, and I was afraid that might have happened to you. Like kids will have a speech therapist who only knows a handful of signs but descibes themselves as fluent. ....Mea culpa, and I am sorry. It DOES sound like the EI system in your state is better then some other states. That is GREAT!
Is your daughter progressing well in speech? Just as a heads up....there are a lot of dhh kids with a speech production disorder called apraxia. She may need more specialized/intensive speech therapy in order to talk.Hopefully she'll do well with just the regular speech therapists....there are dhh kids who do decently with regular speech therapists.
You might want to e-mail the deaf school, and see if they might have any information on regional programs that are nearer to you. There might be some around..... Also, ask about itenirent TODs who come to your house to give your daughter services. One of my friends homeschools her hoh little boy, and they have a TOD come by their house every so often, so I know it's out there.....what else could you ask about? Summer programs maybe? Dhh playgroups? Too bad there aren't more dhh homeschoolers.....maybe the school for the deaf might be able to hook you up with a dhh homeschool group or something
I definitly think that homeschooling a special needs kid CAN work....I was simply suggesting that maybe sending her to a dhh preschool might be a good experiance...I didn't know that you're all the way out in the boonies. Let me see if I can find any resources for you.

Back