Help Write A Book

CareyJay

Reaction score
Below is the email I've been sending around to all my networks. If you'd contribute to this project that'd be great. Hanging around the AD community helped me get my confidence back after a certain audist professor got me to doubt myself, so I'm hoping what you guys submit to this will get the same message across to eventual readers about not letting the expectations that society attaches to a label define us.

I want to put together a book. And I want you to be a part of it.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about life and identity and how we see one another. This came about because over the last couple of years I finally stopped trying to hide parts of myself for the sake of being perceived as "normal" and started being open about it and even (*gasp*) standing up for myself and others more often. This led to a drastic change in my view of the world and of myself and a realization of just how complicated identity is and how little we really understand the people who we can just conveniently label instead, whether that label is a disability, a sexuality, jock vs nerd vs punk, etc.

So that's why I want to put together a book. A collection of essays from people of all ages who others may want to try to neatly package up with a label. A peaceful counterattack against the cliques and popularity games and cookie-cutter pressures of the world.

As to profits, I don't know yet. My inclination would be to either divide profits by the number of pieces in the book or donate the profits to a charity. Once I know more I'll poll the people who've submitted essays to me.

If you want to contribute to the book, please write an essay (any length is fine)answering the question Who am I? and send it to WeAreNotSoupCans@gmail.com. Forward this to your friends. Have your children or students write (or dictate if they are very young) essays if they want to. Just tell the reader what makes you who you are in your eyes, how you see yourself. You can focus as much or as little as you want on what makes you prone to being labeled, but I feel it'd be good to at least mention what people usually label you as in your email so that I can use that list of labels that we compile to make a point to readers of how diverse a group we represent. I will not edit your essays except to remove inappropriate language as I want them in your voice not mine, nor will I publish full names.

Thank you!

Back