help with interpreting

candace

Reaction score
I am a hearing student at Ohio University-Chillicothe. I am majoring in Deaf Studies and Interpreting. I was just wondering how the Deaf or hoh react to having a new interpreter and if they could give me any suggestions on how to be the best interpreter that I can.
Candace

I'm not a licensed interpretter, but here are the most important things I've learned from this site so far:
1) never accept an assignment that you feel is too difficult
2) try to meet with your clients before your assignment actually begins, to find out what they are most comfortable with (ASL? SE? Faster? Slower? Any special circumstances to keep in mind? Special terminology?)

Hmm... there are more but... what can I say... it is Friday!! :)

candace said:
I am a hearing student at Ohio University-Chillicothe. I am majoring in Deaf Studies and Interpreting. I was just wondering how the Deaf or hoh react to having a new interpreter and if they could give me any suggestions on how to be the best interpreter that I can.
Candace

I'm not sure if you are interpreting for $$ or not. Does Ohio have its own 'terp certification system or just use RID? Some people will volunteer in schools or churches to get experience, but no pay. If you are interpreting for pay without certification, you could still be held liable for complications from 'terp mistakes. Also, I've heard that Deaf will ask if you are certified and will ask for cert 'terp if you are not. I've taken MANY ASL and Deaf culture classes in the last seven years, including two 'terp classes. It is a REAL challenge to keep up with everything and not make a mistake. My advice would be to wait until you have a mentor and cert. I think that terps here at AD and your teachers will agree with me.

Back