Help with hockey signs

keekee

Reaction score
Congratulations to me on my very first post here! ;)

I work with a young girl with cerebral palsy who communicates in sign language. Her favorite activity is teaching me how to sign. I took her to a hockey game recently and we had a blast, except I had a heck of a time trying to explain to her what was going on as neither of us know any signs that relate to hockey. Also she wanted to "sing" the Canadian national anthem, which I don't know how to do either.

Can any one help me with a link or some pictures or anything that will help me learn hockey related signs? Things like "penalty" (I called it a time-out. She definatly understood that) "puck" "net" "goal" "pass" "shoot" (as in shoot a puck, not a gun) and all that fun stuff.... I tried a google search and it came up with a whole bunch of articles about deaf hockey players but no signs.

Thank you very much. My friend also :ty:

KeeKee

I am Canadian. Can you sign the national anthem? What I really would love to get my hands on is a poster with the words and signs that may be used in schools. That would be the best thing in the world!

I am Canadian. Can you sign the national anthem? What I really would love to get my hands on is a poster with the words and signs that may be used in schools. That would be the best thing in the world!

Oh yeah I look up and wow hard find ummm wow it is hard find from thur interent ummm I hope so here the members will find to help you and I am trying to looking for it :)

Congratulations to me on my very first post here! ;)

I work with a young girl with cerebral palsy who communicates in sign language. Her favorite activity is teaching me how to sign. I took her to a hockey game recently and we had a blast, except I had a heck of a time trying to explain to her what was going on as neither of us know any signs that relate to hockey. Also she wanted to "sing" the Canadian national anthem, which I don't know how to do either.

Can any one help me with a link or some pictures or anything that will help me learn hockey related signs? Things like "penalty" (I called it a time-out. She definatly understood that) "puck" "net" "goal" "pass" "shoot" (as in shoot a puck, not a gun) and all that fun stuff.... I tried a google search and it came up with a whole bunch of articles about deaf hockey players but no signs.

Thank you very much. My friend also :ty:

KeeKee

HA! "Time Out" meaning unsport like ! player has to sat penalty 2 min

try my best...

Shoot: hand shape C as NET other hand like flick snot or booger NOT PICK YOUR NOSE flick booger (shoot) to net (C hand shape) HOPE YOU GET IT?

Net: C hand shape NOT same place sign C! bent wirst make C look alike net

GOAL: like SCOLD dog. but move fast your finger one time! as ONE GOAL. if MNAY GOALS use normal SCOLD.

PASS: Same way Italy chef kiss hand then open hand to air. but sign pass NOT KISS YOUR HAND and sign it LOW not high as chef kiss hand but same move.

PUCK: circle shape both index /thumbs connect two hand tog. if you do it same size PUCK!

ESCUSE MY LOUSY LAMME ENGLISH. I moved canada ages 14 form Russian. Hockey whole my heart! Canada nice allow deaf playing love of game hockey. russias not let deaf and me play it league!! yike!

HA! "Time Out" meaning unsport like ! player has to sat penalty 2 min

try my best...

Shoot: hand shape C as NET other hand like flick snot or booger NOT PICK YOUR NOSE flick booger (shoot) to net (C hand shape) HOPE YOU GET IT?

Net:
C hand shape NOT same place sign C! bent wirst make C look alike net

GOAL:
like SCOLD dog. but move fast your finger one time! as ONE GOAL. if MNAY GOALS use normal SCOLD.

PASS:
Same way Italy chef kiss hand then open hand to air. but sign pass NOT KISS YOUR HAND and sign it LOW not high as chef kiss hand but same move.

PUCK: circle shape both index /thumbs connect two hand tog. if you do it same size PUCK!

ESCUSE MY LOUSY LAMME ENGLISH. I moved canada ages 14 form Russian. Hockey whole my heart! Canada nice allow deaf playing love of game hockey. russias not let deaf and me play it league!! yike!

hmm mine try my best hehe

Shoot: I use " S " both that is where you hold the hockey stick and said shoot!

Net: I use fingerspell :dunno:

Goal: I use said " five" and use other hand said " U " put " U " in the between five \|.|/_ (hand) see red dot that I use U in the middle of my hand "five" to said GOAL!

Pass: I use both hand said " O " but use flat said " O " hard said and move like circle both hands

Puck: umm I just use fingerspell P U C K :dunno:

these are the signs for O Canada

O Canada!
Home, where born me!
True pride in country
all sons/children have.
With bright hearts,
see Canada rise.
We, true North,
strong and free!
From far, from wide,
O Canada, we guard/defend country.
God keep land glorious, free

Here are some of those signs on webcam
that I did up quick.
YouTube - American Sign Language

hey Jamielee,

It' s a good idea that you made a webcam ASL for hockey vocabularyt for share with someone to understand your sign langauge.

But your signer for hockey, hockey player and goal are wrong. Plently is correct.

why don't you can meet me anywhere I will teach you sign hockey vocabulary are correct.

D

Jamielee
Frist I don't mean to sound hatefull, But Grandma LMM says the same about your signs as Duncan told you. Also on another site you add sign's, Some are not ASL they are SEE... Maybe you should get better help with learning ASL then what you are getting now.

thanks for your input but im not deaf and I dont have perfect signing like all of you. I work with people that use SEE more than ASL so sometimes I use the other signs.

Thank you all sooo much.

Can anyone confirm that the quote below would be the correct way to sing "Oh Canada" in asl?

these are the signs for O Canada

O Canada!
Home, where born me!
True pride in country
all sons/children have.
With bright hearts,
see Canada rise.
We, true North,
strong and free!
From far, from wide,
God keep land glorious, free