Help with Classifiers...

RDC_girl

Reaction score
I have my terp screening next month and I know I need to work on my CL... any advice from anyone (Deaf, HOH, Terps) would be greatly appreciated.

I understand them, I just never know when to use them...

:ty: in advance :)

thats a hard question.

think about when a hearing person is talking. some people are boring, some have monotone, some people are great storytellers...some people aren't.

in ASL, the people who master classifiers are extremely fun to watch, and keep peoples attention. they are the masters of the language and the kind of people who make you want to watch them.

so "when" to use them....all the time, would be my best answer.

Do you think it helps if a hearing person is a good story teller??

My goal tomorrow is to use CL like crazy! lol

Someone just told me last night that I am an awesome storyteller....lol
I would agreed with the above...and add to use them whenever possible...and of course when they're appropriate.
Someone who utilizes classifiers properly is really neat to watch. One thing that stands out in my head, is a video of a student signing to the song "End of the Beginning"
His use of classifier make it soooo cool to watch.

Someone just told me last night that I am an awesome storyteller....lol
I would agreed with the above...and add to use them whenever possible...and of course when they're appropriate.
Someone who utilizes classifiers properly is really neat to watch. One thing that stands out in my head, is a video of a student signing to the song "End of the Beginning"
His use of classifier make it soooo cool to watch.
Thanks for the video. :ty:

Awesome Video !!

If a may .... (and only because I'm posting this on Good Friday...)
there is an "oops" on the interpretation of "rose" - only in that he rose from the dead (to earth)... the ascension wasn't until later ... but it looks like the classifier is implying "rose from the dead into heaven" ... or is that just me being picky??)

Awesome Video !!

If a may .... (and only because I'm posting this on Good Friday...)
there is an "oops" on the interpretation of "rose" - only in that he rose from the dead (to earth)... the ascension wasn't until later ... but it looks like the classifier is implying "rose from the dead into heaven" ... or is that just me being picky??)
No, I caught that too. The resurrection of Jesus from the grave and ascension into Heaven were two distinct events separated by time, and should be signed differently from each other.

Some years back when I was in my advanced ASL class, the teacher had us sign a brief story before the entire class. I used classifiers like crazy. I like 'em. :)

Do you think it helps if a hearing person is a good story teller??

That's an interesting question. We happen to be working on this in class at the moment as the students are writing narrative paragraphs, so I had some of the students do some storytelling and then we discussed the differences between ASL and academic English narratives.

I think there are some qualities of hearing storytelling that transfer to ASL storytelling. Poise, communication with the audience, enthusiasm, ability to set a scene, a feeling for the action of the story (rising, climactic, falling, etc.), energy, enthusiasm, and acting skills are all things that make a good storyteller in either language.

However, spoken English storytelling tends to rely on the play of words to create the mood. A large vocabulary helps so that the exact right adjective, for example, can be chosen to get your point across most effectively. By comparison, ASL storytelling is of course visual. The best ASL storytellers have mastered the use of space, and that is the medium used to get the point across most effectively.

I think if you're a bad storyteller in English you might not be a good one in ASL. However, if you're a good storyteller in English, you still won't necessarily be a good one in ASL!

That's an interesting question. We happen to be working on this in class at the moment as the students are writing narrative paragraphs, so I had some of the students do some storytelling and then we discussed the differences between ASL and academic English narratives.

I think there are some qualities of hearing storytelling that transfer to ASL storytelling. Poise, communication with the audience, enthusiasm, ability to set a scene, a feeling for the action of the story (rising, climactic, falling, etc.), energy, enthusiasm, and acting skills are all things that make a good storyteller in either language.

However, spoken English storytelling tends to rely on the play of words to create the mood. A large vocabulary helps so that the exact right adjective, for example, can be chosen to get your point across most effectively. By comparison, ASL storytelling is of course visual. The best ASL storytellers have mastered the use of space, and that is the medium used to get the point across most effectively.

I think if you're a bad storyteller in English you might not be a good one in ASL. However, if you're a good storyteller in English, you still won't necessarily be a good one in ASL!

Thank you for your post... I understand what you are saying, how some aspects help in either language.

Interpretrator can you give me any advice on using classifiers... and how to become more comfortable using them?

:ty:

Interpretrator can you give me any advice on using classifiers... and how to become more comfortable using them?

You know what, I can't, and I don't mean that in a mean way, but I find it almost totally impossible to discuss classifiers in a written format! :dunno2: I do not find them easy to use at all myself, but I think I've learned the most from simply watching my students sign. Almost every time I think "huh, that's a cool way to classify that concept" about something new!

This site has a lot of great resources for interpreters, but of course they aren't cheap. If you happen to find a DVD specifically about classifiers, though, maybe it would be worth it?

Harris Communications - products for deaf, deafness, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, and hearing loss.

The only practical advice I can give you is what everyone else has probably already told you: think visually. What would that accident look like in real space; how does that computer fold up; what did that person look like walking by? I think of stories with classifiers as making little Lego movies, or playing with dolls, in a way, only all the figures and items are made by your own hands.

Oh, and you have to experiment and make an idiot of yourself sometimes, unfortunately! I know I fail a lot when I try to express something complicated using classifiers, but later on I might think about what I signed and try to fix it, make it more clear, so that I can do it better next time.

I hope this makes some sense. I think classifiers are one of the most difficult things for non-native signers to use in a native-like way.

I understand not being able to explain them on here... I have watched videos on CL and it has become a little more bearable to use them lol. I completely agree that for a non-native signer it is the MOST difficult thing about ASL.

I have my ITP screening weekend next month and I am SO excited. I just need to relax, be calm and study my little heart out before I go. I have to remember that it is about clearity not speed lol.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. And yes, a little lag time is your friend. (I tend to speed up and turn "Englishy" when I'm nervous, especially being taped.) Be sure to let us know how you do! :fingersx:

I will let you know... I fly there april 24th and arrive at 9:30am, I have my ASLPI at 11:15am... it will be a stressful day but I can handle it :)

The woman I work with (Deaf) said I will make it, no problem lol.

Back