Help? What is this...

Reaction score
Okay so I hope I put this in the right spot.

I have no idea what's going on with my right ear. All of the sudden my ear is making some weird fast drum beating noise for a second then stops... 2-5 minutes later it does it again. The beat is like 4 rapid ones as if you're using a pedal on a drum.
This has never happened to me before, and I was wondering if something like this happened to someone else or if someone has an idea on what it could be?

I'm drinking water and proper foods... But this beating has never happened. It's from the inside of my ear, and I'm not wearing my HAs right now.

I hope this made sense...

Actual physical? Could be blood pressure.

There can be audible tinnitus that your doctor could actually hear and that would represent some medical problem and not just be your ears.

Or it can be from dehydration too, although I note you say you get enough water?

Actual physical? Could be blood pressure.

There can be audible tinnitus that your doctor could actually hear and that would represent some medical problem and not just be your ears.

Or it can be from dehydration too, although I note you say you get enough water?

It was in my ear ... and I never had tinnitus before, I don't think I could just randomly get it.
Eh, who knows. If it gets worse... doctor I go. Thanks

It sounds like what my left ear does sometimes. I'm still trying to pinpoint what triggers it. I'm heading into the audiologist on Wednesday anyway so I will ask about my own (thanks for bringing this up, I'll remember to tell her)...but we could have different causes or could be describing different issues using the same wording.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know what it is either way.

Wow...never heard of ears doing those sort of sounds. I know mine did this awful roaring sound until all the little hearing hairs died in both ears. The vertigo that caused was awful. I still have a little bit as the auditory nerves die...not so much now though because they are just about completely dead too. Vertigo doesn't happen but rarely now either, thank goodness!

Last edited:
It sounds like what my left ear does sometimes. I'm still trying to pinpoint what triggers it. I'm heading into the audiologist on Wednesday anyway so I will ask about my own (thanks for bringing this up, I'll remember to tell her)...but we could have different causes or could be describing different issues using the same wording.

If I hear anything, I'll let you know what it is either way.

It's odd because i don't know what it is.
I never have had tinnitus and I doubt I can randomly get it... I mean I know my ears will ring quietly after I take my HAs out or when they're on but that's it. it stops after 2 minutes.
Ooh and thank you!

Have you researched tinnitus just for your benefit? I have terrible tinnitus 24/7. There are many, many nights it prevents sleep. I have every noise you can think of and usually all at the same time. The noises are extremely loud. There is a thread here on AD called "tinnitus" which is full of information. Knowing others had similar symptoms made me feel like I was not going crazy.

I have traumatic, total hearing loss, both ears,

Have you researched tinnitus just for your benefit? I have terrible tinnitus 24/7. There are many, many nights it prevents sleep. I have every noise you can think of and usually all at the same time. The noises are extremely loud. There is a thread here on AD called "tinnitus" which is full of information. Knowing others had similar symptoms made me feel like I was not going crazy.

I have traumatic, total hearing loss, both ears,

I have researched. But I don't think I could get it randomly. I mean whenever I take my HAs out I get a short ringing but that only lasts like 1-2 minutes.

I (from my chart) have like Moderate - Severely Moderate Hearing Loss. But that was from 2009. Hearing test is hopefully happening in a few weeks again.

I have researched. But I don't think I could get it randomly. I mean whenever I take my HAs out I get a short ringing but that only lasts like 1-2 minutes.

I (from my chart) have like Moderate - Severely Moderate Hearing Loss. But that was from 2009. Hearing test is hopefully happening in a few weeks again.

You can get tinnitus at any stage, particularly if you have a hearing decline.

Or not. Tinnitus can be really random. i

Wirelessly posted

My ears will do rapid clicking sounds. Usually when the air pressure changes. After a cold front goes by.

You can get tinnitus at any stage, particularly if you have a hearing decline.

Or not. Tinnitus can be really random. i

Be glad you can't hear it. It's a painful sound like nails on a chalk board. However some people it can slightly improve hearing such as hearing static.

I can hear static sounds that normal hearing people can't. If I am in another room someone turns the tv on or has it on on mute I can hear that a tv or electric device is on.

Be glad you can't hear it. It's a painful sound like nails on a chalk board. However some people it can slightly improve hearing such as hearing static.

I can hear static sounds that normal hearing people can't. If I am in another room someone turns the tv on or has it on on mute I can hear that a tv or electric device is on.

Huh? What makes you think I don't have tinnitus?

It makes me snappish with stupid people who make assumptions.

No need to be rude. No one is snapping at you.

No need to tell deaf people they are lucky they can't hear. A common mistake of hearing people.

Learn right now that a large portion of deaf people do really hear tinnitus.

It can prevent sleeping and cause depression.

No need to tell deaf people they are lucky they can't hear. A common mistake of hearing people.

Learn right now that a large portion of deaf people do really hear tinnitus.

It can prevent sleeping and cause depression.

Of course anything painful can do that. I have it as well and it's a horrible feeling and sound.

24/7 ringing or ringing at odd times and sometimes pain is nothing to fun. I find drinking can also induce symptoms.

tinnitus is awful,my dad had it and made him siucidal i felt very sorry for him standing near explosian did it ..i gather it blood going over ear drum causing revibration as drums would that how been explained to me by others on here....
i dont have it and i deaf but i had it badly when i had over active thyroid as soon as that was sorted then tinnitus went

Yes, tinnitus is evil and can pop up randomly and any stage..... sometimes people had it and just didn't get it diagnosed early on, or many reasons. But as Bott said, just because you never had it doesn't mean it can't happen. :( Good luck!

Exactly. People can have normal hearing and have tinnitus as well as those who are profoundly deaf.

It's a random and painful bully. I found the few times I do get it if I don't drink caffeine can help but it all depends on the person.

Back