help translating this into ASL please?

Munchkinsdad

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a project where I have to discuss the ancient Aztecs in ASL and there is one part that kind of stumps me.
How would I translate this into ASL so that it is properly understood...

"Life flowed from death."

This was in reference to the reasons why they sacrificed humans to their gods.

Here is the complete sentence from the book -The Mighty Aztecs.
“LIFE flowed from death"—so believed the Aztecs, who practiced human sacrifice on a scale unprecedented in Mesoamerica.

A couple simple ideas I had but I don't know...

Life comes from death..
or
Before life grows need death...

Anyone up to the challenge to help an inexperienced student?
Thanks!

Having made sure to have relayed the conceptual information regarding sacrifice, I would then use ASL to say "Aztecs belief, death first, then life.

stab yourself in the heart then come out with a new fresh smile on your face

that's the simplest way i can think of for you

if you want far and deep

then do this

group (both palms in sign "C", make both palms into a giant O), people lined up (both palms in sign "4", have palms move opposite of each other, it should look like a fence), people watching, (same as sign "4" but make the signs move forward to what they're watching, they move like arrows), Now this is the hard part, people dying then rebirth (signs in "V" but upsided-down, make the "V"s fall like they died, then try to make light glitterling above where the "V"s fall and while the light glitters, have the "V"s stand up again). Tada. A true ASL exaggeration explanation of death first then life.

Notice: Light Glittering in sign - It can be anything, but it has to represent an illusion of light bring life. Know this, Light = Life.

Back