Help Please

Treeguy

Reaction score
My neighbor is an elderly lady, and she is hard of hearing.She really shouldn't be driving anymore, but that's an issue for her children.When she starts her dodge caravan, she pushes the accellerator to the floor and dosen't let up until she feels the van shake.Last week I took it to the shop and had a broken torque converter replaced, cost $500.It will probably throw a rod soon.I can't seem to teach her much, does anyone know of some sort of aid that can let her know the engine is running?
Thanks in advance

Thanks alot guys,I guess a tach is probably the best way to go.
This is a great forum, I wish you all the best.

The only way I can tell our company van is running is by looking at the oil pressure guage. It starts very smooth and runs very smooth I cant feel it. Theyre making newer cars and vans like this. This'll become an issue for deaf preople as they would start their cars again while it's running and screw the starter up.

Richard

The only way I can tell our company van is running is by looking at the oil pressure guage. It starts very smooth and runs very smooth I cant feel it. Theyre making newer cars and vans like this. This'll become an issue for deaf preople as they would start their cars again while it's running and screw the starter up.

Richard

Oh that has happened to me a few times. I really get nervous that I screwed my truck up but so far *knock on wood*.

Yowee, I look at my dash to see anything light up and make sure it's running. My Dad asked me one day "Your car is on right? I can't hear it." And he's HEARING so not just a problem for Deafies in the future I think. :laugh2:

That why I must have a tachometer in my car. I know if my motor is running when the needle goes to 1,000 rpms. A lot of companies are making tachometers standard equipement in even very cheap-o cars.

Sometimes the car companies esp the luxury brands make the motors so quiet that someone would assume there was a problem with the car if it didnt make a noise that could be felt on the floorboards. So the tach is sometimes the only way a person would know if the car was running or not, as long as they check the dashboard.

But then I'm not so much worried about a quiet car 'cause my car fires up at over 1,000 rpms every time I turn the key. The nosie is a bit loud on the floor but not enough to wake the neighborhood up :lol:

Let her learn on her own the hard way. Common sense deaf or not should let one know not to floor any vehicle as soon as you start it.

Good grief, if she doesn't want to spend $$, like for a tachometer, etc.,...then have her get out of the car and feel the hood, it should be vibrating and warm to touch. Heh.... :D

~RR

well heres a trick i always do...when i start my van and i always turn my steering wheel half way...if it goes lightly then its running but if hard..then its not running. My van does not have a tach so i depend on my steering wheel.

Back