Help needed regarding Single-Sided Deafness and Driving...

Lexii

Reaction score
Hello! :wave:
This might get a bit lengthy, so I'll bold the most important part of my post. ;)

Long story short. I am completely deaf in my right ear, with a partial loss in my left ear. I have the BAHA implant, unfortunately my device was stolen and I cannot afford to replace it.

I am 23 years old and don't drive. I get extremely uncomfortable when someone is standing/sitting on the right side of me, and I have to switch sides almost immediately. This is pretty easy to do in most situations. However, when driving, I can't move to the right side of someone, because the driver's seat (in the US) is on the left. This leads to me getting anxiety/panic attacks when driving.

I had avoided driving for so long, and now it's really affecting my life and needs to change. I finally thought of using some sort of device to carry sound from the passengers side onto my side so I can feel a little bit more in control of what's going on around me. (basically a speaker/microphone sort of device).

Does anyone know of any specific device that could do this for me?!

I've Googled it and the websites that carry products for the deaf and hard of hearing are SO confusing. and the ones that look like what I'm looking for wayy out of my price range (200+).

Any suggestions would be great, whether they're products or things you have done in a similar situation that have helped.

Thanks!

I hope this is in the right section, I figured hearing devices kind of fit in with hearing aids/etc.

I don't know....*sigh*....but I've been driving for years and years, and I'm 100% deaf....all that is required is rear view mirrors on my car and I use them often....

yeah just look at the mirrors. But its not that hard, stay in your lane, and follow the road rules. You will notice cop lights if you dont hear the siren, thats for sure lol.

I been told I was horned at last week but i didnt hear it. But oh well.

Practice in a safe area. I have stopped using my hearing aids except when working. Why? I drive better for one thing. Learn to rely on your eyes. Be aware of your surroundings.
Maybe an old parking lot or wide country lane for practice?
Good luck, and remember to always be safe. Perhaps practice with a deaf friend or even consider driver's ed?

Well, for me I'm trying to help ease the anxiety that is derived from being deaf and unable to hear my passenger talk to me (i.e. driving instructor, or friend). I figured a little therapy (which I'm doing!) and maybe a handy electronic device could help.

But thanks for the input guys.

No, I took an ASL class and did terribly. I don't see how it's related to this question though...

Wirelessly posted

trying so hard not to write a sarcastic, trolling response...

(sorry lexii, it wouldn't be aimed at you and you are right, ldnanna's question is completed unrelated to your thread, but fully typical of this forum.)

Last edited:
FJ, ldnanna do care about others. I don't know about you.

Lexxi, First of all, i am sorry that your aniexty gets in the way. I think ldnanna's suggestion is good idea to practice in a safe area first. My mom is hearing and didn't get a license till age 30. She has an anxiety about driving but she had to. She did practice in an a safe place. It helps a lot I think it's a good start for you to drive in a safe place first, eventually, go to your favorite stores nearby.

don't ever talk to some passenagers while you are driving. big NO NO. I usually drive and ignore them until the red stop, i check if passenager wants to say something. Mirrors help. I have simple standard mirrors that is fine for me.

the bottom line is use your eyes, not rely on hearing. Hearing does not help for the roads.

Idanna question has nothing related to this topic, just asking something that would normally be asked. I kinda laughed.

I agree with Frisky Feline, dont talk until youre very confortable talking and driving. Talking just distracts you from thinking ahead time (you talk and you may forget theres a stop sign coming up)

Funny/ironic cause I'm profound deaf, but only wear my right processor and yet, i text and drive, i even kissed (held hands too) my ex while driving, loud music, or friends just trying to piss me off messing with my music lol.

But I do dislike driving and not having my implant on at the same time, it makes me worry.

Hell, I'm sick of driving all the time. I drive so much, from school, to track to work and to night school. It adds up to well a hour a day.

Ok I have unreliable hearing(Capd) and i drive with my eyes

Signing and driving is unsafe

Idanna question has nothing related to this topic, just asking something that would normally be asked. I kinda laughed.

I agree with Frisky Feline, dont talk until youre very confortable talking and driving. Talking just distracts you from thinking ahead time (you talk and you may forget theres a stop sign coming up)

Funny/ironic cause I'm profound deaf, but only wear my right processor and yet, i text and drive, i even kissed (held hands too) my ex while driving, loud music, or friends just trying to piss me off messing with my music lol.

But I do dislike driving and not having my implant on at the same time, it makes me worry.

Hell, I'm sick of driving all the time. I drive so much, from school, to track to work and to night school. It adds up to well a hour a day.

ha wait till (well IF) you have kid/s to driving kids to football practice or game, to softball practice or game, to kids friends houses and go on. :)

Have you looked into charities that could help you replace ur processor

Have u reported it to the cops?

I am 23 years old and don't drive. I get extremely uncomfortable when someone is standing/sitting on the right side of me, and I have to switch sides almost immediately. This is pretty easy to do in most situations. However, when driving, I can't move to the right side of someone, because the driver's seat (in the US) is on the left. This leads to me getting anxiety/panic attacks when driving.

So, did you had your d/l already and stopped driving when your device got stolen, or what?

Fuzzy

Back