Help needed for story - part 1

JamieLynn

Reaction score
:wave: again

As of yesterday I am a brand new member (hearing though...) of this message board!

Please read my Visitor Messages first to understand why I am asking those questions ;) - if you want to know that is...

Would love for somebody to help me with the following questions:

1. Can a person be deaf since birth? I guess the answer would be yes…
2. What could be the reason(s)?
3. What kind of hearing loss (level) would my character need to have in order to have CI? (As far as I could figure out there are people out there who can’t get any but I didn’t understand why/what the cause is)
4. What does it mean when somebody signs and they say they are …% perceptive, etc…?
5. If my character is deaf since birth, would she be able to learn to talk?
6. If yes, how well? I take it, it would be difficult to learn how to talk and pronounce the words if you can’t hear them on your own…

The more I keep going with my story, the more I wonder what I got myself into – haha – and the more questions come up!

*poor me*

Thanks in advance! :ty:

JamieLynn

PS. I'm sure more questions will pop up soon :hmm:

hi JamieLynn, this is Mandy again. Yes of course person can be deaf from birth, many reasons, often exposure of the mother to German Measles while child in womb is at vulnerable stage of development - this is what happened to nephew of my ex-boyfriend.
If your character was born unable to hear( profound and pre-lingual, google it) and was raised in the Oral tradition, s/he could learn to produce sounds but would lack understanding of spoken/written language.
Less than 10% of deaf children in South Africa are born to deaf parents, and most hearing parents never learn to sign - therefore they can't help their children with school work, social issues, emotional issues etc.

As of yesterday I am a brand new member (hearing though...) of this message board!

Please read my Visitor Messages first to understand why I am asking those questions ;) - if you want to know that is...

Would love for somebody to help me with the following questions:

3. What kind of hearing loss (level) would my character need to have in order to have CI? (As far as I could figure out there are people out there who can’t get any but I didn’t understand why/what the cause is)
4. What does it mean when somebody signs and they say they are …% perceptive, etc…?
6. If yes, how well? I take it, it would be difficult to learn how to talk and pronounce the words if you can’t hear them on your own…

The more I keep going with my story, the more I wonder what I got myself into – haha – and the more questions come up!

*poor me*

Thanks in advance! :ty:

JamieLynn

PS. I'm sure more questions will pop up soon :hmm:

As one who has written all his life:

First question you need to settle is, "How involved with d/Deaf people is your character and how does it effect them."

If the answer is "None" then this forum may not be useful to you.

If the answer is "A lot" then you need to learn FSL (French Sign Language) and become involved in the local Deaf community.

This is not really the type of subject you can book research.

1. Yes
2. Genetic loss is I believe the most common form of deafness at birth, other later causes can include oxotoxic drugs, exposure to loud sounds, head trauma, or genetics again.
3. Severe-Profound
4. No idea
5. Yes
6. Not that well, but it depends on the person. Some people sound like they have a heavy accent and talk slowly, others might be very difficult to understand.

Anyways, unless you actually know the Deaf community you're going to have a very hard time writing a book that isn't lauded by Deaf people. Too many people in my English class decide to write a story about being deaf anytime we read of Mice and Men (3rd time now) and they just write the most comically audist stories I've ever heard.

Anyways, unless you actually know the Deaf community you're going to have a very hard time writing a book that isn't lauded by Deaf people. Too many people in my English class decide to write a story about being deaf anytime we read of Mice and Men (3rd time now) and they just write the most comically audist stories I've ever heard

Thank you. :ty:

Anyways, unless you actually know the Deaf community you're going to have a very hard time writing a book that isn't lauded by Deaf people. Too many people in my English class decide to write a story about being deaf anytime we read of Mice and Men (3rd time now) and they just write the most comically audist stories I've ever heard.

Thanks anyway for giving this a try! With your answers I could search a little bit better already!

PS. There is no such thing like deaf community where I live ;) Elseway I wouldn't be here...

Less than 10% of deaf children in South Africa are born to deaf parents, and most hearing parents never learn to sign - therefore they can't help their children with school work, social issues, emotional issues etc.

If ever I have a child who happens to be deaf or hoh believe me I'd make sure to know how to sign! Back at university I started learning ASL (not FSL!) - so to speak for no reason. At least that's what my friends thought! To me, it was like learning a different language - after all I was studying french, english and german. I liked it alot and then moved back to France... I still know quite a few signs!

Wouldn't there be somebody from "outside" helping the family when it comes to the social and emotional issues you were referring to?

:ty:

JamieLynn

Thanks anyway for giving this a try! With your answers I could search a little bit better already!

PS. There is no such thing like deaf community where I live ;) Elseway I wouldn't be here...

There isn't?

the first sign language teacher in the U.S. was Laurent Clerc, a deaf graduate of de l’Epee’s school who hailed from France and used FSL. Many consider FSL as daddy to ASL. Abbe de l'Epee is credited with founding the first deaf school that used sign language in the world. In the 18th century he came across two sisters signing to each other -- and discovered a Deaf community in Paris of about 200.

Alright, France, what did you do with the Deaf community over there?

There is also a French movie... Not sure of the title, but In the Land of the Deaf sounds right.

If ever I have a child who happens to be deaf or hoh believe me I'd make sure to know how to sign! Back at university I started learning ASL (not FSL!) - so to speak for no reason. At least that's what my friends thought! To me, it was like learning a different language - after all I was studying french, english and german. I liked it alot and then moved back to France... I still know quite a few signs!

This is why you need to become involved with Deaf. I know you did not mean to do it but you just put down everyone in the signing community -- not just Deaf.

ASL is not "like" learning another language.

ASL is a full and complete language. In fact for many things it is superior to English.

Wouldn't there be somebody from "outside" helping the family when it comes to the social and emotional issues you were referring to?

JamieLynn

That would depend on where, who, and when.

Were I to have a Deaf child I would head straight for the Deaf community. I would do my best to be sure Deaf people were involved with my child at all times, and I doubt we would need a lot of "outside" help.

JamieLynn

We have a deaf member from France.

And Berry is correct.

To Berry: Yes I know about that now... and I sent an email to an organisation which was very helpful! :ty:

Unfortunately I live far up in a tiny village not really close to an area that actually has a deaf community or anything similar. The closest is about 75km away and since writing is only one of my MANY hobbies that's kind of a little bit far. I'm a full-time working, babysitting my nephews, teaching aerobics,... (the list is long) ;)

Reason why I signed up here and the site has already been very helpful and welcoming! FYI, 17 chapters and counting already... (yep when inspiration flows it goes fast!)

I'd also like to say :ty: to Mockingbird for answering to the q's I've had so far! I found already plenty of answers just surfing and reading around the board! :)

JamieLynn

a fellow writer

To Berry: Yes I know about that now... and I sent an email to an organisation which was very helpful! :ty:

Unfortunately I live far up in a tiny village not really close to an area that actually has a deaf community or anything similar. The closest is about 75km away and since writing is only one of my MANY hobbies that's kind of a little bit far. I'm a full-time working, babysitting my nephews, teaching aerobics,... (the list is long) ;)

Reason why I signed up here and the site has already been very helpful and welcoming! FYI, 17 chapters and counting already... (yep when inspiration flows it goes fast!)

I'd also like to say :ty: to Mockingbird for answering to the q's I've had so far! I found already plenty of answers just surfing and reading around the board! :)

JamieLynn

I am also writing a novel for the teen market in the US. I've had a lot of past experience with the Deaf Community. (Still learning ASL!) My book is Science Fiction, though. I've just started (3 chapters).

I actually went to a mainstream middle school with a separate Deaf program for the Deaf kids with an ASL Deaf adult teacher. I ran into this teacher at my community college YEARS later! He didn't know who I was, of course, but I remembered his face.

I also had a deaf girl in my math class in high school. (My high school didn't offer ASL.)

I've visited the state school for the deaf in CA and I live near the one in WA.

I have an uncle who is a professional writer. ;)

Good luck with your project!

I studied Spanish and ASL in school and college. I'm doing some home studying again... my signing is still kind of slow and my memory is trying to sink it in my thick skull!

I agree with the other poster that ASL "is not just like other languages"--it's beautiful and complex. :)

JM

I have written a lot in my lifetime and it shows in some of my posts.

It has been a while since I started a project larger than a short story, but I also have a couple of stories in mind I might decide to write someday. One set in the way back past, the other set in the future.

What style do you guys like? Wing it, plot it, or "as needed"?

The more I keep going with my story, the more I wonder what I got myself into – haha – and the more questions come up.

1. I would say yes. Sometimes it is hard to say due to deafness at birth or after, a premee baby can lost a hearing after birth from taking too many antobotics. When that happens, doctor name to this cause of deafness, 'unknown.' (I am one of them, mine cause of deafness remain unknown bec I was a premee at 2 lbs, I stopped breathing four times, they gave me too many antobotics so i could live, there were side defects like deafness or blind...but depending on a mother's condition, like if a mother was anesima and had other problems...)
2. I think I said pretty much in number one above.
3. I never check about CI or learn about CI, so I leave it alone.
4. I am not sure what you meant...
5./6. I would say yes, depending on a child. If a child was taught oral in an early stage, yes a child can talk. If a child was too late to learn to speak, then a child will need a lots of speech therapies to learn how to speak. Any child's speech will never be 100 correct, and some may get lucky...Any deaf child never learn any sound 100 percent, any child will do get the idea and try to ryme with a sound in the same way...If a child has never heard any single sound in his/her life, I would say it is something because you cannot hear yourself speak...

I am also writing a novel for the teen market in the US. I've had a lot of past experience with the Deaf Community. (Still learning ASL!) My book is Science Fiction, though. I've just started (3 chapters).

I have an uncle who is a professional writer. ;)

JM

I am a writer too. I write novels for teens. My second series, I write a character who is deaf. I had to write about him in time and age. I had to learn ASL, and how they were taught, etc... than myself from the old days...

it is nice to write a character who is deaf because myself as a writer is hearing impaired and I do have experinces what is like being one, and how I live with it, etc...

Good luck with your writing!!! :D

Thanks so much! I have had so much help on the questions I asked first in this post! Not to forget to mentionned the people (now friends) who sent me PMs and helped me out with so much more questions!

You're all so amazing to be willing to help me :D

My story's almost done... might take some while though still but I'm more than half way through and so proud! (I hope...)

Jamie

Just write

I have written a lot in my lifetime and it shows in some of my posts.

It has been a while since I started a project larger than a short story, but I also have a couple of stories in mind I might decide to write someday. One set in the way back past, the other set in the future.

What style do you guys like? Wing it, plot it, or "as needed"?

Ooohhh.... ask me about writing, and I will give you a good answer! :)

I want to do this professionally (write, the dream job!), but my goals for myself have to be realistic. :)

My philosophy is write, write, write, edit later! I have test readers give me really good, clear feedback, and go back and fix what doesn't make sense, or an oops :) I write with the flow, whenever I have inspiration. I brainstorm, take notes, research, hit the library, read, read, read... and then just go for it.

If I worried about mapping out every plot point in the story from A-Z, I'd never get anything written. Sometimes I don't have all the details worked out in my head yet, or I change my mind, or I get stuck.

I've done a few short stories before, but I think my moves or computer crashes made them disappear... (hit head on brick wall)

I also have more than one project to work on at a time, otherwise writer's block can set in and I will sit and stew about not making progress. I dabble in writing in other genres, like Horror/Suspense. I do mostly SF and Fantasy.

I've found myself writing on restaurant napkins, or waking up from a dream, running for paper and pen, and going for it before I forget what I thought would be such a cool idea for a story.

The main thing is JUST KEEP WRITING!! And READ, READ, READ, and read some more! I've learned a lot of things from other writers. They're usually really nice and open to sharing information about what they do, and how to get one's foot in the door. (At least in my experience.)

Plotting is recommended, for obvious reasons, but every writer works differently. Work the way that feels best and the most comfortable to you. I write off the cuff, very much the way JRR Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books, was said to have worked. (I'd like to see an editor EDIT an English professor! :laugh2:)

How to Write books give the author's opinions of what worked for that person, and it may or may not work for you to do it the same way. That's OK.

I have participated in writer's groups in school and college a few times for some good feedback. I have people I trust not to steal my story and market it, or post it on the Internet, to read what I'm working on. (This happened to Twilight author Stephanie Meyer. Someone she trusted posted an unedited rough draft on the Internet without her permission. :mad: That is not very nice! It's also a violation of the author's copyright.)

Professionals have to do an outline, book synopsis, and three sample chapters, and some other stuff for marketing purposes. However, I've been told again and again don't try to submit if a book is not finished! (Cart before the horse theory.) I still have my DAY JOB since I have to eat (starving artists are still starving). (Stephen King used to be a high school teacher before he made it with writing full-time.)

I have also attended local Science Fiction conventions and I've gone to discussion panels where groups of people sit listening to speakers. They take questions and make sure that information is shared. The ones I have been to have had guest writers, guest artists, and guest editors from the big publishing houses in New York.

All the editors I talked to said YOU DO NOT NEED AN AGENT UNTIL YOU HAVE A BOOK DEAL!! Agents get 10-15% of whatever you make on a book sale. Some authors use an entertainment lawyer to go over a contract and hammer out details, protecting the author's rights. (I haven't gotten that far yet.)

The short story market for pros pays $0.03-0.05 per word. Anything under that is not considered pro level sales.

I know a lot of fan fiction authors who only write stuff they want, but can't sell it. I'd not want to be on the receiving end of anyone crazy enough to try and market fan fic to Pocket Books, the Star Trek book publishers. BAD IDEA... Paramount and Pocket so far haven't sued or gone after fan fic writers for copyright infringement yet.

However, music companies will go after you for it!! I see a lot of notices about it on You Tube. A lot of people DO NOT understand WHAT infringement is. Basically if it's not yours, DO NOT copy it!They don't CARE if you make a profit off it or not-the POINT is buy a legal copy of the music and play it, or pay to download, but do not redistribute it or upload it for FREE on the Internet. Pirating is stealing. The artist and music company didn't get paid for their work unless people BUY a copy. Plain and simple.

I'm a stickler about infringement. If it's out of copyright or public domain, that's one thing. You have to check, because it varies by country, too! University libraries in the UK have copyright on medieval illuminated (art) manuscripts, where they would be considered public domain in the US because no copyright was ever filed with the office, and no one renewed an existing one.

Plagiarize and sell someone's work as your own, you will get sued! Or worse... (This happens more frequently than most people hear about). Make sure your work is not too close to someone else's. You can wind up in court if it is! Don't write a book almost exactly like Harry Potter, for example. :)

OK, I'll get off my writer's/artist's soap box for now. :)

If you just want to do it for a hobby, that's fine, too. Not everyone wants to go pro.

Hope that helps give you a few ideas.

JM

YOU ARE NOT NEW IN HERE! :wave:

1. yes
2. genetic disorder, severe ear infection, vaccination, hearing damage (loud music/sound/etc), or it just happened for no reason
3. no idea but I guess to the point where HA is useless
4. no idea
5. yes but difficult aka "deaf accent"
6. depends on each person's innate ability

YOU ARE NOT NEW IN HERE! :wave:

1. yes
2. genetic disorder, severe ear infection, vaccination, hearing damage (loud music/sound/etc), or it just happened for no reason
3. no idea but I guess to the point where HA is useless
4. no idea
5. yes but difficult aka "deaf accent"
6. depends on each person's innate ability

Jiro this thread is oooold... of course I'm no longer new here ;) You know that! I posted those Q's on Jan 16!

I have all the answers I need for quite a while already - at least the ones posted above :wave:

Jamie

JKMacKay,

well said... I agree with everything you have said...

Where would you find better editors that you trust? I have met few other writers, they had suggested that I can join writing class online and get their feedback. Do you trust that one too? If I submit my work for a review, will they steal it...but the problem is, you must read other people's work. What if you are not a preofessional to read other people's work??? :hmm:

I did the same thing you did..I just write, write, write, read, read, write, write, read, read and so on... But the problem is you need another set of eyes, lol...

I just start a memior a year ago, is there a rule about writing a memior like in any other geres? Or you just write the way you want it since it is your story in real life? (Of course I make up names and places to prevent our idenity.)

Jiro this thread is oooold... of course I'm no longer new here ;) You know that! I posted those Q's on Jan 16!

I have all the answers I need for quite a while already - at least the ones posted above :wave:

Jamie

ooooo ok! lololol :cool2:

making it real

I am a writer too. I write novels for teens. My second series, I write a character who is deaf. I had to write about him in time and age. I had to learn ASL, and how they were taught, etc... than myself from the old days...

it is nice to write a character who is deaf because myself as a writer is hearing impaired and I do have experinces what is like being one, and how I live with it, etc...

Good luck with your writing!!! :D

Thanks!

I'm going to ask some deaf friends of mine to look at my rough drafts and comment on it. :) I've had other test readers (hearing) review it, too.

I have lived with 2 deaf roommates, one oral signing deaf, one VERY ASL deaf, and some other hearing girls, back when I was single.

I've taken college ASL 1 and 2, Deaf Culture class, and spent time associating and practicing sign with deaf adults and young single adults. Some were used to signing in tandem using their voices, and some were voice off. Others were hard of hearing. I moved several times, so my social circle needs an upgrade. :)

My classes were a long time ago. (I also speak Spanish as a second language not like a native, but I am fluent enough to have a decent conversation.) I'm going to see if I can find some ASL classes again to fit my work schedule, though. It's tougher because I'm not in college anymore.

Have you professionally published your work?

JM

Back