Help need sign

twincozmom

Reaction score
I need sign for square root. In Math class that I am interpreting for we are studying square root and I can't find a sign for it. I made one up but he is confused by it. I asked him to help me make one up and he is refusing. Is there a sign out there for square root. Thanks so much.

Mod's note:

This thread moved to proper location.

I would have just signed

"square"

and then "root"

What signs would you use for "square" and "root"? The same as in the video provided by ~SG~, or do you use different signs?

What signs would you use for "square" and "root"? The same as in the video provided by ~SG~, or do you use different signs?

I don't sign. and the video doesn't work for me (it wants me to update quicktime and I can't do that because of my son's kidpix program.. the latest quicktime doesn't have the feature that my son's kidpix need)

but If I was signing, and can't find the sign for square roots.. I would just sign what I do know... square and root.

I don't sign. and the video doesn't work for me (it wants me to update quicktime and I can't do that because of my son's kidpix program.. the latest quicktime doesn't have the feature that my son's kidpix need)

but If I was signing, and can't find the sign for square roots.. I would just sign what I do know... square and root.
The reason I asked was because the sign for the shape "square" is not the same as the sign for the algebraic symbol for "square". Also, the root of a number is not the same as the root of a plant or the root of a tooth, or family "roots". :P

Reba is right... through out my schooling, since it was a bit more of English, we had the R hand shaped to define the shape of squire root... follow the line with how it was written...

as for 3 cube... its a different sign as well... one cannot sign two separate signs to define a word... I wouldn't understand square (showing the shape of a square) and then the sign of root that is related to plant and family.... The student ought to help you to make up a sign for some words that are used often, but either one of you know the sign for it... I've done that many times and I had no problem with it.

It's interesting how non-signers' logic can throw ASL conversations for a loop. It's analogous to English writers using the wrong words on the logic that "sounds like" is close enough.

"She went off on a pique" is vastly different from "She went off on a peak" or even "She went off on a peek." Sometimes context isn't enough and you just have to stop and sign "What???" several times.

The reason I asked was because the sign for the shape "square" is not the same as the sign for the algebraic symbol for "square". Also, the root of a number is not the same as the root of a plant or the root of a tooth, or family "roots". :P

She said she had trouble finding the sign for it to the point that she had to make one up.. I would just do that as my last resort until I find the proper sign for it..

What do you do when you are in a middle of a conversation and you don't know the sign for it? Kinda like a recipe, you can't find an ingredient, you find a substitute for it.

And I have seen people replace a word with a word that sound the same all the time... It's normal. LIke the word Bear/bare or pair/pear etc. Of course you should correct them, but if they don't know and replaced a word for it instead, I wouldn't fuss at them for doing that any more I would fuss at a person who is learning to sign.

Last edited:

I believe that's how square roots got it's name.

From Deaf students themselves

When I tutor Deaf students, they always sign what SG suggested.

When I tutor Deaf students, they always sign what SG suggested.

In every math class I ever interpreted, that was the sign we used as well. Normally I wouldn't bother with the exponent if the discussion is only about square roots. If they were talking about square vs. cube roots, for example, I would sign the exponent like in the video.

The teacher in that class needs to make sure the picture or a visual example of the square root is used the first time she introduces the topic..and let you sign that word so the student can make that connection between the new sign and the concept that is being taught. ;)

The teacher in that class needs to make sure the picture or a visual example of the square root is used the first time she introduces the topic..and let you sign that word so the student can make that connection between the new sign and the concept that is being taught. ;)
It also helps if the student does the assigned reading the night before so he/she is familiar with the terms and symbols that will be part of that day's lecture.

Square root that is easy. use one finger then follow the picture that show the square root. That how my interpreter sign for square root in my math class.

Back