Help!!! My dog

horselover61

Reaction score
My dog, Rusty, he is german shepard mix. I got him almost 2 yrs. Since I got him he have been chewing the blankie, shoe, sheet anything that he get to. Now he stop chewing everything except the sheet. He still at it. I have a hard time to make him stop. I even buy him a toy to chew on and he wont use it.

Help how can I get him to stop chewing the sheet so I can get a couch cover for my couch. I can leave no sheet on the couch cuz he will lick or try to chew on my new couch. I brought this couch just less then a year ago.

Do you have a muzzle? I just thought of something, but I do not know if this will work. The next time you see him chewing on something he is not supposed to, tell him "NO!!" and put the muzzle on him for a few minutes. Not long, maybe five minutes. Keep doing this and he will associate the bad muzzle with bad chewing. That is just my opinion and of course I could be wrong!

Think I've seen some kind of spray you can use to keep dogs off ur furniture or anyplace you don't want them to be....PetsMart might be able to help you.

MY doggie has never been a "chewer", thank god. But I've had other dogs, when they were puppies that chewed up several pairs of my shoes and chewed on an expensive desk I had. But at 2 years old, they got out of the chewing stage...dunno why ur dog still likes to "chew" on the furniture....Maybe give him a big piece of wood to chew on?

During that age, it's very common for dog to chew on something. My Great Dane love to chew on chouch and it turned into tooth picks, shredded all over the places.

Yes, there is one that you can try is using spray that causes dog dislike the smell. That is one way... or other way is to put him/her in cage. As soon as you catch him/her chewing on something, put him/her in the cage. This will loose his/her freedom. Muzzle really doesn't helped. Muzzle is specifically design to train from biting someone and train not to bite someone. So, it's important to hold off on muzzle training. Cage is best because it allow you not to worry about him/her not to chew on something while you are gone. That what we did with our Great Dane while we are gone. So as age mature, this tend to stop chewing on sheet. You know when dogs are 2 years old...dogs going through "teething" stage, so get the idea.

It sound like your dog is bored and need something to do . You should try taking him for long walks if possible or play ball with him. If you get him tried enough he will sleep more and chew less! Do not give your dog and reward while he chewing on something, he will think he being good dog and that is ok to chew things up!

Think I've seen some kind of spray you can use to keep dogs off ur furniture or anyplace you don't want them to be....PetsMart might be able to help you.

MY doggie has never been a "chewer", thank god. But I've had other dogs, when they were puppies that chewed up several pairs of my shoes and chewed on an expensive desk I had. But at 2 years old, they got out of the chewing stage...dunno why ur dog still likes to "chew" on the furniture....Maybe give him a big piece of wood to chew on?

the spray is called 'bitter apple'

Wirelessly posted

He's already past the teething stage. He has a lots of nervous energy. He's not going to stop chewing unless he can vent out that energy. Pretty common in field-bred dogs and sport-bred dogs if they don't have a "job" to do.

Exercise him more often-- and I don't mean just walk, he needs to run. Apple spray and muzzling will only make a neurotic dog worse by transforming them into mental monsters. Run him, enter him into agility, anything.

My dog, Rusty, he is german shepard mix. I got him almost 2 yrs. Since I got him he have been chewing the blankie, shoe, sheet anything that he get to. Now he stop chewing everything except the sheet. He still at it. I have a hard time to make him stop. I even buy him a toy to chew on and he wont use it.

Help how can I get him to stop chewing the sheet so I can get a couch cover for my couch. I can leave no sheet on the couch cuz he will lick or try to chew on my new couch. I brought this couch just less then a year ago.
My beagle has the same problem,I give her oinkies its rawhide with meat in the middle,or a busy bone

Wirelessly posted

He's already past the teething stage. He has a lots of nervous energy. He's not going to stop chewing unless he can vent out that energy. Pretty common in field-bred dogs and sport-bred dogs if they don't have a "job" to do.

Exercise him more often-- and I don't mean just walk, he needs to run. Apple spray and muzzling will only make a neurotic dog worse by transforming them into mental monsters. Run him, enter him into agility, anything.

:gpost:...good advise...since the dog is German Shephard/mix....needs a place to run & play.
My doggie is small (Pomeranian), very "skittish" but not too hyper....Having a "Big Dog", I feel the owners should always have a fenced-in yard with enuf room for the dog to run and "guard". Bringing the dog in at night or bad weather only.

At first when I got him 2 yrs ago, he was very skittish and now feeling comfortable having me around but he ever hardly play with anything or with anyone. He just love to go for a walk and I put him outside to run from time to time. That just about it. Something happened to him from the previous owner. He hate car ride. I love taking my dog to go for a ride but I cant do that with him. Poor rusty.

I hate to see all my sheet gone and I wont have anything left for my bed. LOL Wish Victoira Stillwell is here to help me with it. LOL

It sound like your dog is bored and need something to do . You should try taking him for long walks if possible or play ball with him. If you get him tried enough he will sleep more and chew less! Do not give your dog and reward while he chewing on something, he will think he being good dog and that is ok to chew things up!

Not sure if you know a lot about dogs or if this was just a thought - but it is pretty good advice. Many bad habits are just due to the dog's other needs not being met. Walking and exercise - very important!! Consistency in training is important too. It may take a while, but you have to stop the dog whenever you see him doing the chewing, say NO firmly, and give him a chew toy, or something appropriate to chew on. Depending on the dog (hopefully he got some of those intelligent german shep genes) this may take 20 times, or maybe 50, but eventually they get it. A dog can be trained at any age, if the owner is consistent and doesn't give up.

I agree with some posters...

You can take your dog to the Petco store for dog (pet services) training class or have a certified professional dog trainer to stop by your place to train your dog (with you). Just a thought...

How about checking with your vet doctor, animal shelter, or pet store (such as "Western Feed" pet / livestock store) & ask for some advices?

Not sure if you know a lot about dogs or if this was just a thought - but it is pretty good advice. Many bad habits are just due to the dog's other needs not being met. Walking and exercise - very important!! Consistency in training is important too. It may take a while, but you have to stop the dog whenever you see him doing the chewing, say NO firmly, and give him a chew toy, or something appropriate to chew on. Depending on the dog (hopefully he got some of those intelligent german shep genes) this may take 20 times, or maybe 50, but eventually they get it. A dog can be trained at any age, if the owner is consistent and doesn't give up.

I know something about dogs. Finlay chewed on the rug was he was bored. So I had to get him take him out to run at the woods or beach and play ball. He would come home hungry and tried , he would eat then take a nap! Finlay would also chew the rug in my bedroom at night when I was sleeping, so I tried letting him sleep on my bed and he left the rug alone! Of course you have tell your dog "NO" when he/she doing something wrong. Finlay trained to follow the demand 'leave it' when was going eat something bad or do something wrong. My biggest problem was that I could not also her when Finlay was doing something wrong! I think he knew I could not hear him!!

:D
How about sending your Finley to Police Acamedy for dog obedience (sp?) training?
Hahaha

:D
How about sending your Finley to Police Acamedy for dog obedience (sp?) training?
Hahaha

Are you some kind of sick bastard! I just posted I had to put my beloved poodle to sleep as he had cancer in his kidney! ! Screw You!!

Are you some kind of sick bastard! I just posted I had to put my beloved poodle to sleep as he had cancer in his kidney! ! Screw You!!
Pardon me, whatyousay! I just joined this site and wasn't aware of your pet loss. Geez. Get a life, whatyousay! I lost 3 animals myself. Get lost, whatyousay!
The person, who posted this, did not say how old her German Shepard was but the owner has that dog for about 2 years. Screw you back, whatyousay!

whatdidyousay, I am so sorry for the loss of your Finlay. You are most grieved as I was when I lost my beloved cat a while back. :hug: I know how it hurts. catlady however, is just a newcomer and is probably still learning how to get around AD so had missed the tragic news, nevertheless she should show some courtesy to at least express some sympathy and understanding. Really, this is not a good way to begin, catlady. There are other people on this forum and it is certainly not pleasant for the rest of us to see this insensitive behaviour.

Back