Help me to choose vent's size for my earmolds

dungsiabc

Reaction score
Dear everybody!
I have used 2 BTE Phonak Savia 311 hearing aids for 6 years. But I couldn't get used to my earmold.
Here is my audiogram:

Freq: 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
Right: 25 40 70 65 60 50
Left: 60 70 75 70 60 50

Currently my left mold vent's size is: 1mm, right is 2mm. But I still feel occlusion so much with right earmold, a bit with left earmold. All are canal molds. With small vent, I hear better than larger vent. But I cannot stand for occlusion. It makes me silly.

Please give me some advices for choosing earmold vent's size. Should I enlarge it? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Your audiologist should be able to give you advice re the size of vent needed to avoid feedback. I've never been able to use earmoulds with vents, due to severe loss, and after a lifetime of HA use do not notice any occlusion effect. However, I believe that if you have vents which are too large it can cause feedback, it depends on the amount of gain you need.

Thank djchur for sharing! My audiologist & Phonak fitting software suggest me to use vent for right earmould: 1.0mm. But with 2mm vent size, I still feel occlusion so much. :(

with 1mm vent size for right earmold, I hear better than 2mm. But I'm afraid of occlusion! It makes me silly, cannot think anything while working. :(

maybe you could go for the full shell earmold! I have worn these for over these years now and they seem to be helpful :)

Dear everybody!
I have used hearing aids for 6 years. But I couldn't get used to my earmold.
Here is my audiogram:

Freq: 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
Right: 25 40 70 65 60 50
Left: 60 70 75 70 60 50

Currently my left mold vent's size is: 1mm, right is 2mm. But I still feel occlusion so much with right earmold, a bit with left earmold. All are canal molds.

Please give me some advices for choosing earmold vent's size. Should I enlarge it? Thank you very much!

If you are using super power hearing aids you'll do better without the vent holes.

I believe that Starkey's labs make earmoulds with variable vent plugs so you only need get one set of impressions and one earmould made and then the audi fiddles around with different sized plugs. They will make them for other brands, you don't need to have Starkey hearing aids, they just happen to be made by the same company. At least that way you can experiment without spending a whole load of money, depends if they are really expensive/difficult to have them done in the first place. Maybe other manufacturers do this also?

If you are using super power hearing aids you'll do better without the vent holes.

Thank you for reply!
I don't understand you. I currently use 2 Phonak Savia 311 BTE aids. They're all super power HAs. If without vent, I likely live in hell :roll:

I believe that Starkey's labs make earmoulds with variable vent plugs so you only need get one set of impressions and one earmould made and then the audi fiddles around with different sized plugs. They will make them for other brands, you don't need to have Starkey hearing aids, they just happen to be made by the same company. At least that way you can experiment without spending a whole load of money, depends if they are really expensive/difficult to have them done in the first place. Maybe other manufacturers do this also?

Thank you for reply me!
But I cannot go to Stakey's labs. They're very far from my country.

I have no vent holes in my mold as I wear powerful HA.

I see, that's very interesting. My understanding is the vent will increase bassy sounds, like the boom boom, and that makes the overall sound(s) being amplified less clear.

Back