Help! If cancelling AOL..

D

Deaf258

My mom just asked me if she cancelled her AOL account, would she still keep the screenname on by using AIM? I know there are some of you who used to be on AOL and moved to a different ISP. Just wondering because my mom's computer illiterate and she don't want to lose her buddy list! Any ideas? Thanks!

Still keep my old SN for AIM after canceled my aol account few years ago.

From what I can remember when I cancelled AOL, I was able to use the main screen name (master account) for AIM while I was not able to use the secondary screen name. I guess what your mom need to get hers moved to master account in order to use it for AIM.

AOL has a TTY toll-free number: (800) 759-3323 (they answer quicker than the voice toll-free number).

Deaf258 said:
How did you do that?

Just automatically.

If I delete that sn before I cancel AOL account then too bad for me.

Wish I knew how it work. Just happened.

when the worldplay closed down their backgammon thru AOL so I closed my AOL account (by using BYOA) so I had to create new SN for my Backgammon Host nickname. Argh! However.. From a source thru backgammon friends say... before you cancel the AOL account. just change the password thru AIM not thru AOL. so that way you can still use your SN for aim only.. Otherwise create new nickname again..

Wendy

You can open up the buddy list using AIM. After opening up AIM, you can save the buddy list as a BLT file. When closing AOL, if the screen name is lost... you can still sign up for a new screen name on AIM and then restore the buddy list from the BLT file you saved.

Keep in mind, using AOL screen names on AIM might be a thing of the past now - I went to delete a screen name from my AOL and it prompted me saying, "Are you sure? Once a screen name is deleted, it can no longer be used on AOL or AIM..."

Might want to call them to make sure. They might be able to reserve it for you or something.

Hey - I've been trying to cancel my AOL membership too, but they keep offering me free months. Your mother might not have to worry until the summer. LOL.

Malfoyish

Yeah, I warned her that AOL will do anything to keep her with them! :lol: But she want DSL or cable internet with phone and cable tv. She is already paying $180.00 a month for Dish TV, 2 phone lines and AOL account. If she gets DSL with AOL, then it will be about $205.00!!! :eek: She found another service (Cox) that provides cable TV, cable internet and phone service, all in one line for about $125.00 a month.

Best safe is calling AOL's tech support. Asking many questions as u can. Before go ahead and not be sorry urself.

Malfoyish's right. AOL keep flattering on members to keep AOL account over and over. Happened to me before. I resisted them.

I still keep my old AOL master screenname as AIM sn after cancelled few years ago. That's strange.

I don't blame on Deaf258's mother. Cannot keep two internets at same time. Cost me so much. Have to pick one for using alot. If I want keep two internets last summer then I will spend $80 dollar per month. Forgot it!

I never had my own AOL...always had a sub sn under my sister's AOL account...until I moved to Australia -- had AOL for like 6 months, then deleted account cos I didn't like AOL all that much anyway.
Currently, I pay $100 AUD a month for ADSL - can be online and use phone at the same time. I find this ISP (dart.net.au) is a good one cos there's unlimited up and downloads and no time out or disconnections, etc. ;) Better than Optus, the previous ISP I had before.

I signed up for trial month with wal mart internet with my aim sn they have a deal with AOL whatever. After I cancel I lost my list and SN I was wtf. I had to get new SN still had my list cuz I had back up. I called them and they gave my sn back but I already use this and tell everyone to change grr it was hassel.

I have aol and I have use aol for one year and half free! HEHEHEH. I just told AOL a complaint but they offer me free two months. When the two months almost over and they offer me other 2 months over and over. Sound like they are losing some profit. Shame..

About AIM and AOL; I using the AIM any user name on AOL that show listing different screen name. I don't have problem but once a while just happen the buddy list disapper for no reason. Simple; just back up the buddy list that AIM provide that AOL doesn't provide. If you decide not want to keep AOL for real. Just simple threat the customer service because they don't want deal who is the threat. Just say this "If you don't do what I just request to cancel my account. I will have to report my bank and told them that you had my check card number due you didn't listen what I request to cancel. So please close do what I SAY!" They will not appericate about it. I did that. Even I keep get from AOL CD and just in mood to say hello to my friend in AOL. Sound waste? Nah not to me. :)

Hello,

I am happy cancelled my aol finally but I have small pay Grrr becasue i forget called aol before i moved here but he told me not much pay I am luckey thank god and I not like aol is worse been problem frozen and show up and somethings. I love Cox is best fast internet speed cool and i still used aim No plms for me :thumb:

My suggestion is, go to keyword: aim password

Then create a password, and log on through the AIM program. Regardless of the fact you delete your AOL account, you're guarunteed to keep your screen name this way, since you already have it. I did that for all my screen names, and because of that, none of them went away. The downside? If you sign up for aol again, you cant use that sn =/ Sucky

It should not be a problem if you cancel your AOL account and pay any of ISP service. The AOL keeps all IM usernames in its databank. I am not a member of AOL and still use my IM since four years. Even, you can still get your IM back if you have a new computer. Smile.

Deaf258 said:
My mom just asked me if she cancelled her AOL account, would she still keep the screenname on by using AIM? I know there are some of you who used to be on AOL and moved to a different ISP. Just wondering because my mom's computer illiterate and she don't want to lose her buddy list! Any ideas? Thanks!

If you cancel aol accounts and can't sign on aim screennambe bc, it been on SUSPENDED ACCOUNT never sign on back again u gotta create new sn.

Back