Help! I need your recommendation on the best cellphone/pager.

Big E

Reaction score
I have promised everyone in my life (family, friends, co-workers) that I will get a pager/cellphone on January 2, 2006. I'm not sure what I want to get. There are so many options. I want your opinion. Should I get a Sidekick, Blackberry, Treo, Nokia, WyndTell, Qwerty? Which product do you like and why do you like that product?

I am a hard of hearing person and I am just learning ASL. One of the things I have had to do is attend events of the Deaf Community that are open to the public. I see many deaf persons at these events emailing their friends and family using these neat pagers and I want one. I have not purchased any wireless products due to my fear of voice cell phones. I hope you will ease my mind with your recommendations.:dizzy:

Nobody has any ideas?

Can anybody help me?
:mad:

Well, when you get a chance, let me know.

Depends on your needs. Do you think you'll be using text/emails more often than making phone calls? I once had a Treo but eventually switched to Sidekick 2 because I tend to use text/emails a lot.

For the Sidekick's unlimited data plan, it's $30. To make a phone call, you get charged 20 cents per minute.

Pardon my sounding naive, but, can you (briefly) explain what each of those items are? :confused: Cell phone is self-explanitory, but not the others. Remember, society is a "hearing world," so one does need to explain themselves when deaf or hoh.

Thanks!

Big E said:
I have promised everyone in my life (family, friends, co-workers) that I will get a pager/cellphone on January 2, 2006. I'm not sure what I want to get. There are so many options. I want your opinion. Should I get a Sidekick, Blackberry, Treo, Nokia, WyndTell, Qwerty? Which product do you like and why do you like that product?

I am a hard of hearing person and I am just learning ASL. One of the things I have had to do is attend events of the Deaf Community that are open to the public. I see many deaf persons at these events emailing their friends and family using these neat pagers and I want one. I have not purchased any wireless products due to my fear of voice cell phones. I hope you will ease my mind with your recommendations.:dizzy:
nokia_messaging_phone.jpg

Nokia 6820 is very nice. It is best than SK2 for body cover and hard to break when you drop it.

A Blackberry is my current recommendation. A SK2 is almost as good. (My opinion) Either one will do what you need.

it depends on ur home coverage, and their range coverage. Those pagers can provide different name of networking. I think you better look up their networking coverage and prices. They are very variable. I own SK2, I like it alots but not good coverage. I'm very interesting purchase Treo 650 and Verizon LG VX9800. But, u have to check up with such like Cingular,Verizon, T-Mobile, Spirit, At &t, US Cellua or etc. but those provides don't have those kinds pagers, but u can check it out w/ them. You cant say its up to us, cuz everybody has different taste and opinion, hopefully a pager is right or suit to you someday.. Happy Shopping!

Thanks for the advice. I will explore the blackberries, Nokia, and SK II. These seem to be the ones that work best. But if there are any others out there that you can recommend to me, please let me know. Then I will talk to my audiologist about t-coil and the products above. I want to use email, tty, AAA, and real time chat. But I also may need to use voice for work and emergencies (although reluctantly).

Any more imformation will be appreciated.

:beer:

It all depends on what you like in a pager/cell phone. SK2 and BB 7290 are the most preferred choices for most deafies because, of course, they have qwerty (small keyboard) and the ease of use. The purchase price above are reasonable and varies by vendors ranging from free (after rebates) to $200. Of course, its main carrier is T-Mobile which you can take data plan only for $30/month, however, their network range depending on where you are, works well in some areas and out of range in other areas.

Although there's some qwerty phones like treo 650, nokia 6820, and vx 9800 that sprint and verizon carry selectively. Their purchase price are moderate (ranging from $150 to $450). Their ranges are pretty good and works well than T-Mobile does. I am myself a computer geek and I have seen most of my friends carry Treo 650. They said they are really happy to have Treo 650.

As for me, a computer geek, am looking in a heavy duty pager like VX6600, PPC 6600, PPC 6700, or Samsung i730. They have windows based OS, qwerty board, multimedia, and so on. The purchase price is astonishing from $349 to $600. Sprint and Verizon carry those and their network reception is powerful than SK2 and BB can carry because of EV-DO bandwidth.

Having said it all, I strongly recommend you to test it yourself at different phone vendors/stores and play around. From there, you can get pretty good ideas of how you would like in a pager/cell phone. Best of luck with your shopping.

Ain't this a :gpost:

:cheers:

:thumb:

Thanks golflover. I think I will do that (go a try them out). I am leaning toward the SKII, but I like the Blackberries.

Neo said:
nokia_messaging_phone.jpg

Nokia 6820 is very nice. It is best than SK2 for body cover and hard to break when you drop it.

The keyboard is very quiet when I typing than Danger Sidekick II. I have drop my Nokia 6820 for over 200 times, it hardly break anything as it live in rough. That save the money than rather spend for an insurance.

Back