HELP- giving his toys to fish

zookeeper4321

Reaction score
Little G has a new feitish for throwing things in the fish tank. Toys, books, socks, whatever. He's going to kill $100.00 worth of African Cichlids and I can't get him to stop. He's been told, had time out, been spanked. Nothing works. Any ideas. Please help my poor little fish. They don't want to play with little G.

:laugh2: Aww how cute, I've never actually heard a little child will intend to throw toys, socks, books etc in a fish tank, poor little kid doesn't know a fish doesn't play but only swim in the tank.....Is there a way you can get him another pet, like a puppy or a kitten that can be a bit playful than a fish?...

Then tell your child, if he/she were a fish, that swims in the water, doesn't like things throwing in his/her's home, that he/she will drown because all of the things are in the fish tank, won't have room to swim in the fish tank, Ask your child would he or she like if someone threw stuff on top of his/her head and drowned him/her? If the child says, no he/she won't like that, then you pointed out well that's how the fishes felt too. Maybe your child will get the idea and stop throwing things in the fish tank. :thumb:

LOL i think its so cute. My son did same thing before with the african cuclids, all i do make him say no no to put in there. And get thing away form him which that he always play or watch. Also, let him know its okay to put toys in bath, not in fish tank. Hopefully it work out.

Well, we have a dog which he loves. The tank is in the only place I have for it. It's a 75gallon tank. It's in a hallway outside of his room. Communication is my main problem. He is HOH and doesn't know much ASL yet. He knows no but I can't explain it to him. He doesn't understand English either. We are going to get some plexi-glass for the gap. It's a four piece glass top, but it has a gap where the filters are.

A guard or shield might be a good idea. Have you tried punishing him?

You could put a lock to prevent the kid from throwing things in a unlocked cover goes to the water or something like that.

Audiofuzzy said:
Or, you can take away all his toys :)

Fuzzy

Isn't that rough he's 2. He also has a 1 year old sister who needs to play with the toys.

I thought I'd be smart yesterday and move the baby gate. It used to be in the living room. Well, now that he's an older monkey he can climb the wall in the living room and climb over the gate if it's in there. This boy has always been a climber. He climbs out of his crib now too. It seems our friend on AD is not the only "Deaf Monkey".

zookeeper4321 said:
Isn't that rough he's 2. He also has a 1 year old sister who needs to play with the toys.

I thought I'd be smart yesterday and move the baby gate. It used to be in the living room. Well, now that he's an older monkey he can climb the wall in the living room and climb over the gate if it's in there. This boy has always been a climber. He climbs out of his crib now too. It seems our friend on AD is not the only "Deaf Monkey".

:confused: :confused: Me ???

DeafMonkey said:

Yes. I assume from your pictures you love monkeys. Well, I think he is one. I won't let him steal your name though that would not be right. Actually we usually call him by a nick name that's part his name and part acrobat, but I don't want to use it here. I don't want to say his name online. Don't want my monkey abducted.

since I have 6 kids.. been through alot of things.. I have fish tank..
I have similar problem like yours when my son (now-11).. he was 2-4 years old.. his obsession throwing things or put things in fish tank..
I saw up the 1/2 inches plywood cover it.. and cover with sheet..
give him.. hand signal.. NO
NO
pick him up and put him down in other room..
or..
get his hand.. show him.. "touch" fish tank.. then you shake head NO
or swat his hand..

It works for me.. after 3 long struggle days.. :)

Other idea.. if it didnt work for you or think its too much.. get a pail & fill with water in half way up.. put in tub or garage.. let him throw stuff in pail..

zookeeper4321 said:
Yes. I assume from your pictures you love monkeys. Well, I think he is one. I won't let him steal your name though that would not be right. Actually we usually call him by a nick name that's part his name and part acrobat, but I don't want to use it here. I don't want to say his name online. Don't want my monkey abducted.

ohhh same as my nickname " DeafMonkey" ?? if is that so?

DeafMonkey said:
ohhh same as my nickname " DeafMonkey" ?? if is that so?

Just the monkey part. He climbs, jumps, and swings on everything. I either call him a monkey or an acrobat. What's your favorite monkey?

DoofusMama said:
since I have 6 kids.. been through alot of things.. I have fish tank..
I saw up the 1/2 inches plywood cover it.. .

That's a great idea. The tank is really old and originally had a piece of plastic in back that has long since eroded. We were thinking plexiglass, but we weren't sure. There are four pieces of glass with a gap for the filters. I will try this. Little G has been such a challenge. My eldest was so quiet and docile. My step-son was 5 when I met him. The toddlers are so active and loud and Little G climbs on, over and through every barrier I make. My gate is actually a steel dog gate and he gets over even that. He climbs out of his crib at night and climbs into his sister's with her. Thanks!

zookeeper4321 said:
Just the monkey part. He climbs, jumps, and swings on everything. I either call him a monkey or an acrobat. What's your favorite monkey?

I love any of monkeys but my fave is of 3 monkeys are squrriel monkey, Capuchin Monkey and Chimpanzee monkey :)

I was only kidding :)

I don't have any sure fire advice just this- watch them well - or indeed think of same barricade so he can't get into the fishtank..

Fuzzy

Don't punish toddler for that because they didn't understand why they get punish for...

It's normal for toddler to experiment their curiously to everywhere... It's parent's job to keep their eyes on them and show them what they should not do that...

Make sure and put something away for the toddlers safety where they CAN experiment anything with their curiously.

Example about fire... I lit candles alot and fire places. I watch them to go near fire place and told them to not touch because glass door of fire place is too hot... I lit candles and let them point their finger to fire and notice their "surprise" impression as their fingers goes close to candle and said... Ooccchhhh, hot hot hot... From now they know it's hot and won't go near fire-places and candles again when they experiment their curiously to anything...

It's more stress when you keep on say no no no no no... walk and follow them to everywhere... no no no.... but show them why they are not touch...

Show them why fish can't play... Let them watch fishes swim and make them realize that fishes can't play...

Liebling I just saw your avatar I LLLOOOVVEE it :) so cccutee!!

Ditto to what just Liebling wrote- a 2.y toddler will not understand reason very well.
best is to prevent- meaning you can't leave'em alone for a minute.. and if you have to, then you have to make sure he has no access to anyhting you wouldn't want him to.

Fuzzy

Back