help and info on programs for tty to pc

darlam

Reaction score
Ok, first I would like to say sorry if this post is long winded but I just want some questions answered and problems solved.

Background: I am hard of hearing and used to use TTY all the time when making phone calls to hearing people. Now I pretty much use AIM relay for my phone calls except those to my mother as from the get go she just couldn't handle a relay call (for some reason it just made her nervous and flustered and she has never been able to talk to me thru a relay operator). So she went out and bought a TTY so she can just type to me instead of going thru a relay operator.

My intentions: Since we hardly ever use our landline anymore except when my mom and I talk we would like to do away with our landline and have a program on the computer that would enable me to talk back and forth to my mom. She would just use her TTY and I would just use my computer to talk well type back and forth so instead of TTY to TTY it would be more like TTY to PC.

Information needed:
  • I have seen a software called MyTTY3.0 for a pc but I am not familiar with it nor do I even know if it would be compatible on my computer.
  • How do I find out if my computer would be compatible with this software?
  • Is this the kind of software I need so I can just talk to my mother TTY to PC instead of TTY to TTY?
  • Is there any other kind of software or program that is either free or doesn't cost much that would enable this type of conversation of TTY to PC?
  • As I stated I use AIM (ATT relay and also MY IP Relay) I have my own phone number on My IP Relay so would my mom be able to call that number and just type to me or would it automatically go thru a relay operator?

Thank you for any help & assistance anyone can give me I greatly appreciate it.
Darla :)

Computer Information that I do know I have:
Windows XP home edition SP3
512mb
CD-rom drive
**I do not know anything else such as processor type or modem type so would need help in finding that information out.

Last edited:
Follow up to my previous post...
I contacted a company that sells the myTTY3.0 and asked some questions...
My main question was if I could do away with my land line phone service and unfortunately myTTY3.0 operates over a land based phone line just like a TTY does.
So, now I need to know if anyone out there has or knows of a program that works on a computer and operates over the internet as to where I can make and receive calls either to another TTY or thru a relay operator??? With programs like MY IP Relay or ATT Relay those are relay operator based and I need a program that works just like a TTY where I can either communicate directly with another TTY or go thru a relay operator.

It is very important that I have a system on my computer that would operate without a land based phone line and be able to communicate with my mother directly without having to go through a relay operator.

Thanks,
darla

***Never mind I have found what I need and tried it out calling to my home phone from my computer and it works now I just have to wait for my 10 digit number and then I am good to go and can see about getting rid of my land based phone line... What I found is Nextalk.net when I first went to it before posting my post I thought it was a relay based service such as myiprelay, etc... but it isn't.. it is what I need I can go through a relay center or I can call a tty directly. So, if anyone was like me and thought it was a relay based service it ISN'T!!!!! the link to nextalk.net is http://www.nextalk.net/nextalk62/nextalk.pl?rm=homepage

Last edited:
If she get flustered, why dont she use a pc and start a video chat ? use the aim program to do this and type to each other ?

how about getting cellphone and txt with each other? it's more modern and easier.

how about getting cellphone and txt with each other? it's more modern and easier.

Tell ur mom that, get a Smartphone, or use PC with AIM, MSN, Yahoo or whatever you have,

Emailing via smartphone or PC if she have

Or go online and log in her cellular co's website into her account and there are "text" message she can send and recive via PC.

There's plenty of options your mom can use.

She got to understand that TTY are really obsolete!! It's time to move on to new technology.

Catty

TTY is as expensive as smartphone so why not?

Yup - landlines are really starting to become obsolete. My parents got rid of theirs in 2006. Additionally, they also got rid of the old-fashioned white/yellow-page phone books. Eevrything is truly beoming digital nowadays.

Back