HELP 1-Month Old Great-Niece diagnosed as 100% DEAF

ConnieJo

Reaction score
Help.

My 22 year old niece just learned that her 1 month old baby girl is deaf (100%). I need the words to get through to her that this is not the end of the world.

Are there any books, guides, anything that you would recommend?

Right now mommy is depressed, saying that she doesn't want to be Stella's mom anymore... She's breaking my heart.

I am not good at words, I just know that Stella will open a whole new world to her mommy and grandma (daddy's only slightly involved).

I would be forever thankful for any words, suggestions, resources.
Thank you

Last edited:
:welcome:

I hope your niece's attitude about her daughter's deafness will change. Maybe she's in the early stages of receiving shocking news.

We have members who should be able to give you some guidance.

Help.

My 22 year old niece just learned that her 1 month old baby girl is deaf (100%). I need the words to get through to her that this is not the end of the world.

Right now mommy is depressed, saying that she doesn't want to be Stella's mom anymore... She's breaking my heart.

I am not good at words, I just know that Stella will open a whole new world to her mommy and grandma (daddy's only slightly involved).

Thank you

I had a mommy like that too.

Luckily, I ended up wanted by others.

Hopefully Stella wont have to live in that environment. It can do her a lot of damage at an early age.

Tell your niece she is very lucky to had found out her baby is deaf so young . This mean her baby can start getting the help she need right away
and b/c your niece is so young she'll need more support from her family . I hope the rest of the family does not feel the same way about the baby. Please tell your niece her baby will pick up her negative energy and could made thing more difficult her being a new mother. Deaf people are very good at picking up people energy and so are babies. The baby did nothing wrong and should not be punish for being born deaf ,in this case which is being rejected by her mother.

Iam deaf and I have a career, children, married, and owe a mortgage on a house and a tv..living the American Dream just fine.

Can show her this thread and how several of us are doing just fine. ASL definitely helps a lot!

Last edited:
I love ur attitude. Your right it isnt end of world. It wont be easy but it will get a lot easier if she accepted the fact, and start jump in learning sign language like my wonderful parents did.

Maybe show her some videos of little babies learning how to sign with their mom's. There is this beautiful amazing connection she can have with this precious daughter.

I am deaf my goddaughter is hearing. I have taught her numerous signs and she uses them around me all the time. I can understand her being upset but not wanting to be her mother is a bit much. Maybe she is having some postpartum depression.

When that little baby looks up and smiles at you...that is all that matters. Life can still be wonderful. There is so much help available now. If she can't reach out for that help then someone in the family needs to.

I wish your family the best and congratulations on the new little baby.

Hands & Voices of Oregon

I found this link there are more on line .

You could look on line and try to find some places your niece can get help , I think b/c she is so young she could be overwhelmed with having a deaf baby , you said nothing about the dad or partner so I am not sure if your niece is a single mom . Is she close to her parents , I hope so .

Help.

Thank you

I was born hearing, but lost it at a young age. I learned ASL in 1985-1989, but I can advise that learning ASL at a very young age is one of the best things to do. Also, check to see if there are any programs for your family, as well. Learning together is best.

I can't even imagine how deaf equals abandon, it'll be hard but what child isn't hard to raise. The resources are everywhere to help her, she needs to snap into mother mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hi! I hope I am doing this right bec I m new to this. I think I replied to someone s post wrong and made someone mad bec I was off topic. Is this the lady with a niece whose baby is Deaf?

Hi! I hope I am doing this right bec I m new to this. I think I replied to someone s post wrong and made someone mad bec I was off topic. Is this the lady with a niece whose baby is Deaf?

I hope your niece can get onto this and learn that deafness is not a terrible thing! My goodness! I WANT a Deaf baby! Sign language, ASL, is a language in itself and she and baby can learn it! Her little one can be successful in life ! God made the Deaf and the blind. Wow! I can't imagine what she s going through, but this is her little baby. There s nothing like a mother s love! I ll pray for her and you and her baby. Wish I were there to help.

And don't forget.....contact your state's School for the Deaf for info, support etc ...They REALLY can offer a lot of good resources,for all types of kids on the dhh spectrum.

Back